Thinking about getting myself a good amp for Christmas. Price isn’t a big issue if the sound quality/features can justify the money. I’ll probably not be able to try out the amp before buying; so hopefully somebody here can help me make an informed decision. I play metal (some rock and blues). Looking for Mastodon/Chimaira type crunch and Opeth type cleans, but with less wattage than the JCM800/6505 equivalent since this will be for playing at home.

From researching and reading the faq I’ve narrowed it down to:

Engl Screamer 50W – A lot more wattage than I was planning on getting, but seem like a great/flexible metal amp. I’ve heard it sounds good at low volumes, but will this be just too loud for home practice?

Blackstar Artisan 30W – Has the option of switching from 30W to 10W. Can the quality/features/hand-wire justify the price jump from an HT-5?

Orange Rocker30 or Dual Terror – The dual terror looks like an ugly tin-can car battery, but I think it sounds good and it can be switched to lower wattage. But the rocker sounds like it can do metal better?

Any comments/preferences/recommendations will be much appreciated.
ENGl Screamer really impressed me, but is really loud and expensive.
Artisan I found to be very similar to the HT5. I wasn't a big fan of it, sounded a bit brittle.
Dual terror isn't a metal amp at all, more of a Classic rock amp.
Rocker 30 could be good for classic metal, but may not do kdern metal without an OD

You may want to also look into a used Mesa Mark combo

the amps you mentioned are somewhat different so you may want to go and play them to get a better idea.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
bedroom AND studio AND price =/= concern AND you listed a variety of amps with different tones...

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx.
krank rev jr pro 20you may want an eq pedal with it though
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Guess the screamer is out of the question if it’s too loud and I was planning on spending a little more than 800 dollar, so the Krank Rev Jr is out of the question (I know….that’s stupid). Never heard of Fractal Audio Axe-Fx….and new things scare the pants straight off me.

The Mesa Mark suggestion may be good way to go. Never paid too much attention to mesa because of a bad first impression (maybe too synthetic or something…always been more fan of the vintage English amps). Think I will have to give Mesa another listen, the Mark definitely look like it will fit my needs.
ENGL Fireball

Randall RM100

Boogie Dual Rectifier

Peavey 5150

etc

etc

etc
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Dr Jaevel
…and new things scare the pants straight off me.

Never paid too much attention to mesa because of a bad first impression (maybe too synthetic or something…

(1) the world is round, get used to it.

(2) seriously?
Quote by Dr Jaevel
I was planning on spending a little more than 800 dollar, so the Krank Rev Jr is out of the question .

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2495129
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Blackstar HT 5, you have already said it!

OMFG god UG these may be good amps for rock and blues but jeez they sure as hell cant do metal.

THEY ARE CHEAP TUBE AMPS!!

To OP:

Mark V is about $2000, switchable from 90-45-10 watts

Theres a 20 watt single channel Soldano which is about $1149

Or Bogner Alchemist which is 40 - 20 switchable but not sure how they sound
I second the Axe-fx, especially with the new 9.0 firmware that just came out it's really amazing.

check out their forum if you want some clips.

there's also this video on youtube called "the (r)evolution of rock guitar" that realllllly shows how much this thing shines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nHCW0eg0E (part I)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nHCW0eg0E (part II)

if that sounds "digital" to you guys I don't even know what to think.

EDIT: Oh, and these clips don't go into metal territory, but if it gets brutal enough for messhuggah it gets brutal enough for me.
Last edited by the-patient at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
MC, you're so much more attractive on HC than here

LOL

I know right?

Quote by the-patient
I second the Axe-fx, especially with the new 9.0 firmware that just came out it's really amazing.

check out their forum if you want some clips.

there's also this video on youtube called "the (r)evolution of rock guitar" that realllllly shows how much this thing shines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nHCW0eg0E (part I)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nHCW0eg0E (part II)

if that sounds "digital" to you guys I don't even know what to think.

EDIT: Oh, and these clips don't go into metal territory, but if it gets brutal enough for messhuggah it gets brutal enough for me.

sonofabitch, now I need an Axe-FX
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 23, 2009,
Wow….the Axe-Fx thing sounds amazing. Looks complicated, but I will definitely hold off with buying an amp until I’ve checked this thing out.
Quote by TheBackHouse
OMFG god UG these may be good amps for rock and blues but jeez they sure as hell cant do metal.

To OP:

Mark V is about $2000, switchable from 90-45-10 watts

Theres a 20 watt single channel Soldano which is about $1149

Or Bogner Alchemist which is 40 - 20 switchable but not sure how they sound

I seriously have to disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdW_5RmOh4&feature=related

watch that and maybe some others. the amp sounds absolutely fantastic for its price. is gives the overdriven Marshall sound without the price tag.

On another note i would seriously consider the 5150 or the 6505 by peavey. they are both the exact same amp just different names. A 5150 can be had used for 400 but if you want new the 6505 is 1200 for a 2x12 combo. There is the 5150ii/6505+ series that has eq for each channel which makes cleans sound better. the 5150ii is the same price used as the 5150 and the 6505+ is 600 new in 1x12 combo. They also all come in head/cab styles too.
Quote by TheBackHouse

http://www.youtube.com/user/FoundJoshy#p/a/u/0/Sa898ahkARU

one of my old vids but metal enough
and i now had a sound very similar to a duel rec

and no they are not cheap tube amps
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
First off, Mastodon and Chimaira have completely different tone - Mastodon has a crunchy, British-voiced rock tone where as Chimaira has a compressed, high-gain, American-voiced modern metal tone.

Also, I don't think a Mesa would do a very good job nailing a Mastodon-esque tone.

Have you looked into Laney? Bill Kelliher of Mastodon used a VH100R a few years ago and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses a GH100L (although I think he may use a Fender for his cleans, but I'm not sure).
You’re absolutely right I_am_metalhead, I shouldn’t just list a bunch of guitar sounds I like. If it’s possible, I would prefer a brighter and more British vintage (Mastodon) guitar sound, and let the growl come from the bass guitar. Thanks for the Laney idea, I will check it out. Also, do you think it would be possible to get close to this type of sound with a small Orange or a Blackstar amp?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
First off, Mastodon and Chimaira have completely different tone - Mastodon has a crunchy, British-voiced rock tone where as Chimaira has a compressed, high-gain, American-voiced modern metal tone.

Also, I don't think a Mesa would do a very good job nailing a Mastodon-esque tone.

Have you looked into Laney? Bill Kelliher of Mastodon used a VH100R a few years ago and Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses a GH100L (although I think he may use a Fender for his cleans, but I'm not sure).

For the record, Opeth uses the GH100L for their cleans, and a Boss GT Pro for their distortion (i am talking live)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.