ok, so basically, my friend gave me a peavey generation exp, which is basically a telecaster rip off, but with 3 single coils instead of two, but all of the electronics are completely fried, from the pick ups to the selector and all the knobs and all the wiring (idk the technical terms for all that stuff), so i basically need to just replace or fix those, then restring it and its good to go, but i have no clue where to start or about how much its gonna cost or where to get the parts or what parts im gonna need or what kinda pickups to use, the pick ups are still in it(the stock ones) but the plate or whatever with the pickup selector and the volume and tone knobs is completely gone(there are three wires in there, two red and a black) and the input jack will need to be replaced. so basically, my questions are as follows: 1) what ind of pickups should i put in it(im gonna use this mainly for blues and mellower stuff such as pink floyd and cleans) any suggestions? i need three single coils for it, 2) what would be my best approach taking on this project? 3) about how much would it cost?(a rough estimate is all i ask for) and 4) where could i find the parts i need?

thanks for the help
i would upload pictures, but i cant find my camera
sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum too, i didnt know where to put it, so i guessed in here
gear: schecter damien 6 fr, epiphone sg 310, marshall mg100dfx , peavey acoutic (no clue what model), ovation celebrity cc44 acoustic, rocktron silver drago distortion, rocktron banshee talk box, dunlop cry baby 535q
1) what's your price range? it's tough to make a recomendation when we don't know how much you're willing to pay

2) probably take out all the existing electronics, and just start over, pretty much. it sounds like that's what you're planning on, anyway, though. I'm not sure what else you mean by this question. ..like, did you want more detail of whats to be done?

3) see '1)'. it depends heavily on your pickup choice. 2 pots* (the electronic part of the knob, put simply), a switch, jack, and a bit of wire add up to around/ just under $30, but that can change depending on the quality you buy, and where you buy.

4) www.allparts.com, www.guitarfetish.com and www.stewmac.com are pretty popular places to order parts, but you can also get stuff from local guitar shops (although it's usually more expensive there). pickups can be bought from those places, too, but it depends what kind you're after. sometimes you can get better deals online/ on ebay, sometimes it's worth it to just buy in a local shop.

*you didn't specify, but I'm guessing you've just got the standard tele 1 volume, 1 tone, and a selector switch?
Quote by james4
1) what's your price range? it's tough to make a recomendation when we don't know how much you're willing to pay

2) probably take out all the existing electronics, and just start over, pretty much. it sounds like that's what you're planning on, anyway, though. I'm not sure what else you mean by this question. ..like, did you want more detail of whats to be done?

3) see '1)'. it depends heavily on your pickup choice. 2 pots* (the electronic part of the knob, put simply), a switch, jack, and a bit of wire add up to around/ just under $30, but that can change depending on the quality you buy, and where you buy.

4) www.allparts.com, www.guitarfetish.com and www.stewmac.com are pretty popular places to order parts, but you can also get stuff from local guitar shops (although it's usually more expensive there). pickups can be bought from those places, too, but it depends what kind you're after. sometimes you can get better deals online/ on ebay, sometimes it's worth it to just buy in a local shop.

*you didn't specify, but I'm guessing you've just got the standard tele 1 volume, 1 tone, and a selector switch?

id like to keep it under $150-200 (US dollars) but i'll spend up to $300 if needed, basically, i need advice on like what kind of pick ups to check out/buy for a nice, warm, creamy, bluesy sound, and also, since you told me what all kind of parts i'll need, like what order to start replacing them in, things like that, the more details i could get, the better >.<
ummm as for if its a standard tele style volume/tone/selector controls, i have no clue, but i'd assume so, that part was completely stripped out when i got it
gear: schecter damien 6 fr, epiphone sg 310, marshall mg100dfx , peavey acoutic (no clue what model), ovation celebrity cc44 acoustic, rocktron silver drago distortion, rocktron banshee talk box, dunlop cry baby 535q