Hey guys i posted a thread asking about what amp to get between the randall rg50tc and flextone. Well i tested the randall rg50tc and was set on getting that but now when i look at other thread it seems like a bugera maybe a better match for the tone im looking for.

But first off, has the reliability on the newer models been good? i dont want a amp that constantly breaks no matter how good the tone is.

Also would 100 or 120 watts, watever it is, be abit much for bedroom use? i want a decent tone at lower volumes at home as well. I dont gig yet but i do rehearse with a drummer. Is the bugera to big and heavy for one person to constantly transport? seeing it is a 2x12 i dont want to have to break my back putting it in the back of the car all the time.

last but not least, what model is best for a tight sound. Kind of like arch enemys older tone.

Sorry for all the text i really need to find the right amp for myself.
The reliability on the new models has improved, but not to the point of what I'd call 'good.'
It still remains to be seen whether bugera will take the Vox route (good) or the B-52 route (laughable) as far as fixing issues goes, but I think they're much better now than when they first came out. With a warranty, I think you're in ok shape.

I can tell you that an amp that large is going to be way too much for bedroom use unless you're not going to be using much gain, or have an attenuator. The 2x12 is pretty heavy, a 2x12 combo is pretty much the hardest thing to move by yourself next to a 4x12 cab.
Ah ok, well are the problems fixable or are they constantly reoccuring? im willing to take a risk if the problem usually stays fixed once its been handled by a tech. I play metal so i do play with quite of gain (not a whole lot).
from what i've heard its just a few slightly loose solder joints which most people can fix at home and should stay fixed
i'd suggest the 6262 for the kind of metal you play
um the 2x12 will by heavy as hell all tube amps will be unless you go for a head and the harley benton vintage 2x12 (better speakers than the stock bugera ones)
it may slightly be too loud
but im pretty sure theres a master volume and it might loose some tone at lower volumes will definately to still do the job
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Yes, the design isn't the issue, it's the execution and parts. Once repaired properly, you shouldn't have issues. That said, things can always go wrong.
It's sort of like the les paul headstock. Once it's broken and repaired, it's stronger than it originally was - but the pickup switch could always go. Fixing one thing doesn't fix the rest.
On a bugera, the things to worry about most, I think, are the transformers (mostly fixed, I think) and the power supply (not fixed IMO). If your transformer blows, you need to worry about the power supply. If your power supply blows and gets repaired, I think you're fine.

Sorry for the long response, but their quality is just getting to the point where I can in good conscience recommend these amps, so I'm being cautious about it.
Hmm ok cool so the power supply is repairable right?

Ok now for the loudness of it, can it actually sound low? or does it have a senstive volume knob. If i dont get the bugera i will be getting the randall rg50tc and thats 50 watts tube and its a 1x12 combo. So would the bugera be quite abit louder than that? and quite noticeably heavier?

Sorry for all the answers, and thanks for all the replies i dont mind reading long text.
Well, anything on an amp can be repaired, it's just a matter of how expensive it is to repair.
Both of those amps will have a bit of a volume jump at the onset, the Bugera's is probably worse, though I haven't played that randall. If you have an OD pedal you can use the volume on it to control the input on the amp better than with your guitar's volume.

It really depends on how quiet your idea of quiet is. If you're talking conversation or TV volumes, these amps are way too much for that. If you just mean lower than practice volume, daytime can't-hear-it-next-door volume, you'll be fine.
Quote by Joker_90
Hey guys i posted a thread asking about what amp to get between the randall rg50tc and flextone. Well i tested the randall rg50tc and was set on getting that but now when i look at other thread it seems like a bugera maybe a better match for the tone im looking for.

But first off, has the reliability on the newer models been good? i dont want a amp that constantly breaks no matter how good the tone is.

Also would 100 or 120 watts, watever it is, be abit much for bedroom use? i want a decent tone at lower volumes at home as well. I dont gig yet but i do rehearse with a drummer. Is the bugera to big and heavy for one person to constantly transport? seeing it is a 2x12 i dont want to have to break my back putting it in the back of the car all the time.

last but not least, what model is best for a tight sound. Kind of like arch enemys older tone.

Sorry for all the text i really need to find the right amp for myself.

I'd recomend you get a 30W for bedroom-use.. 120W is way too much.
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
I would love a 30 watt but the problem is finding a good cheap amp for metal thats 30 watts tube. The krank rev jr is the closet thing and its over my budget. My bedroom level isnt really quite, i can play loud but not like blood coming out of your ears loud.
Quote by Joker_90
I would love a 30 watt but the problem is finding a good cheap amp for metal thats 30 watts tube. The krank rev jr is the closet thing and its over my budget. My bedroom level isnt really quite, i can play loud but not like blood coming out of your ears loud.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2495129 + a 2x12 Avatar cab should be about as much as a new Bugera costs with tax
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just so you know that even at 20 watts... the amp will not be much softer than the 100 or 120.

The Rev Jr Pro 20 is roughly about 1/3 softer than a 100 watt amp. Plus, you need to run it above 1.5 to get the power tubes sufficiently driven to get a reasonable tube tone. Even at 1.5 MV... the Krank Rev Jr Pro 20 is still too loud for night time playing.

Tis a good amp tho... once you get to grips with the Sweep knob and the EQ.

Like the HC avatar, MC.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I tried the krank rev jr before and thought it was pretty good. And yes loud. The randall sounded pretty good at lower volumes. After trying out tube amps i dont think i would able to settle for a solid state amp, even for practicing. A peavy 6505 half stack i tried once wasnt even on 1 and i thought that was miles better than a vypyer or roland cube.
If you're concerned about loudness, consider the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. Has a 60w tube power amp and a headphone jack.

You can run a 120w amp in your bedroom; you just won't be able to turn it up past 0.5. It's not going to sound 'bad', per se, but not as good as how it would sound at 3 or 4, or whatever your ideal gigging volume is.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Peavy vypyr tube isnt out in Australia yet, and who knows what the price will be. Im not really concerned about loudness. But the tone i will get at that certain volume in the bedroom would be better than alot of other amps in my price range wouldnt it? and remember i may be gigging within this next year and still playing with a drummer currently.

The tone on the bugera is much better than the randall i was considering. The only other tube combo that could do metal in my range is a valveking, and its the same price as the bugera.
Last edited by Joker_90 at Nov 23, 2009,
It will not sound bad by any means at bedroom level volumes. It's just going to sound slightly better when you turn it up.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Ok sweet thanks for all the advice and information guys. If anyone else wants to have their input by all means go for it.

As for what bugera to actually get, the tone im after is kinda like the older arch enemy tone, but also abit like black album and similar mesa tones, a mix of that.
Last edited by Joker_90 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995
The reliability on the new models has improved, but not to the point of what I'd call 'good.'
It still remains to be seen whether bugera will take the Vox route (good) or the B-52 route (laughable) as far as fixing issues goes, but I think they're much better now than when they first came out. With a warranty, I think you're in ok shape.

I can tell you that an amp that large is going to be way too much for bedroom use unless you're not going to be using much gain, or have an attenuator. The 2x12 is pretty heavy, a 2x12 combo is pretty much the hardest thing to move by yourself next to a 4x12 cab.

I mostly agree with this except for the attenuator... beyond 8ohm of attenuation (in most cases) you're going to start losing tone fast, like to the point where it's not even worthcranking to the point of it opening up. It's enough to take the edge off, but you'll still be loud as hell.

and I agree with the portability comments, but keep in mind that you can slap casters on anything.
Quote by Joker_90

the problem with a 100/120W amplifier is that you wouldn't be able to crank it up higher than 2 (3 max) - for bedroom-use. And the sweetspot of these kind of amp are at about 7-8. And the valves won't do you much good at 2-3.
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
Quote by GrisKy
I mostly agree with this except for the attenuator... beyond 8ohm of attenuation (in most cases) you're going to start losing tone fast, like to the point where it's not even worthcranking to the point of it opening up. It's enough to take the edge off, but you'll still be loud as hell.

Yes, certainly, but if you want a 100W amp to gig with, between the master volume and an attenuator you can at least make it bearable for bedroom playing. It's not a great option, but I put it out there as a workable one to allow for a big amp in a bedroom.

and I agree with the portability comments, but keep in mind that you can slap casters on anything.

Sure, but you hit that narrow flight of stairs to a 2nd story bar, and those casters on your 100lb amp aren't doing you any good. It really depends on where you're moving it, but to me a head and 2x12 is a lot more portable than a 2x12 combo.
anyone who thinks this amp doesn't have enough gain at bedroom levels clearly has not played one.

mine almost NEVER gets to 1, because i use it as a bedroom amp. Anyone playing at 2-3 in there bedroom must want to piss off the neighboors or something

here's video of mine at low volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERrDZ9S56dk

You can see my volume isn't even at 1!

it sounds great at bedroom levels. it sounds better at 4-5, but your only getting there on private property or at a gig. The volume Is very responsive, it's easy to dial in a tone and volume you like.

i haven't had a single problem with mine, transformer issue was fixed, the only other problem these have is cheap tubes, but you can't expect top of the line tubes for $500. So if your amp does go, it's prolly just time for new tubes (will help you better shape your tone also).

That being said, i love my 212 combo and would buy another if i lost mine

it's plenty portable, you can see i'm not a big guy, but i've got no problem carting it around ( i bring it into the downstairs living room when my room mates are gone to record youtube videos, haha )
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Nov 24, 2009,
^It wasn't about having enough gain, it was about the initial volume jump. Your bedroom volume might be different than his, and that initial jump might be too much for him. I don't know. It's hard to tell these sort of things over the internet. To that point, I didn't enjoy the tone in your video. Maybe it sounded different live, or maybe that was the tone you were going for, but if it were me with that amp I'd be using an attenuator at that volume to be able to open up the power tubes a little bit.
Quote by Roc8995
^It wasn't about having enough gain, it was about the initial volume jump. Your bedroom volume might be different than his, and that initial jump might be too much for him. I don't know. It's hard to tell these sort of things over the internet. To that point, I didn't enjoy the tone in your video. Maybe it sounded different live, or maybe that was the tone you were going for, but if it were me with that amp I'd be using an attenuator at that volume to be able to open up the power tubes a little bit.

well, it doesn't turn off, if you turn the volume all the way down it's just quiet.

I'm an owner, and like i said the volume is very reponsive, and it sounds great at bedroom level (tends to loose the highs when on a low level tho, so might wanna dail in a little presence)

EDIT: Your not supposed to like it! it's metal! After checking your profile, it doesn't seem like you very much into metal/death, which IMO is what this amp was built for (although it does cleans very well)
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Nov 24, 2009,
Just get the damn Bugera. I got a 5W amp thinking I'd be able to open it up a little while there are people home. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. I spend most of my time playing the thing whisper-quiet and believe me, no tube amp is going to sound it's best at those kinds of volumes.

I wish I'd have gotten something like the Bugera. I'd still be just as screwed for playing at home but at least gigging would be doable.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Gundamnitpete
well, it doesn't turn off, if you turn the volume all the way down it's just quiet.

I'm an owner, and like i said the volume is very reponsive, and it sounds great at bedroom level (tends to loose the highs when on a low level tho, so might wanna dail in a little presence)

EDIT: Your not supposed to like it! it's metal! After checking your profile, it doesn't seem like you very much into metal/death, which IMO is what this amp was built for (although it does cleans very well)

Yes i agree so much. People get to hung up on wattage.

i have a 120w head with 4 volume knobs. i can get nice tones at low volumes !!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, certainly, but if you want a 100W amp to gig with, between the master volume and an attenuator you can at least make it bearable for bedroom playing. It's not a great option, but I put it out there as a workable one to allow for a big amp in a bedroom.

Sure, but you hit that narrow flight of stairs to a 2nd story bar, and those casters on your 100lb amp aren't doing you any good. It really depends on where you're moving it, but to me a head and 2x12 is a lot more portable than a 2x12 combo.

some very good points... I think people get a bit too hung up on having a great bedroom tone. if it's just for personal practice all you need is to be able to hear yourself, and in most cases a clean tone is optimal for practicing.

...and stairs are a bitch no matter how you slice 'em... fvckin' stairs.