im looking into getting a new rig soon consisting of a stack. I found this head and had two questions come to mine

1) what are yall opinion on this amp?

2) whats a cabinet i could use with this amp?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-Ultrabass-BVP5500-Classic-550W-Valve-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=581274

for reference i play in a prog-metal band. I do rhythms and some lead lines on my bass. i have a conklin 7 string bass and i like to focus on mid range crunch.

any help would be most appreciated
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
*JEALOUSY!!!!@CONKLIN*

Bugera stuff isn't bad for the most part, just some of the parts are cheap to compensate for the tiny price tag.

It'd probably do you well, but I'd say get it checked over by a tech before you do any gigging.
My friend bought one of these for a gig only duty but it blew all the 12ax7 in the amp an half hour into the show.

I also seen other bassist in my area buy this amp they all say it's not very good in it's tone and/or reliability.

By the way what's your budget?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Nov 23, 2009,
As far as i know, bugera is owned by behringer, so going on that, and the price of the amp, i would be inclined to pass.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You own a 7 string Conklin. You need something better than Bugera. It's as simple as that. It's a crime against all things good and holy to use a Conklin through anything but supreme quality gear.

well in all honesty i agree. i dont really have a budget. i dont need the new rig now im just trying to get an idea of what to save for.

on another attempt, i was also looking at the peavey 700 tour. might that do my baby justice?
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
How much do you have to spend, if you really want to complement you bass i would go for spending 1000 plus and really make it worth while.
What are you looking for a cloured or transparent sound?
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
How much do you have to spend, if you really want to complement you bass i would go for spending 1000 plus and really make it worth while.
What are you looking for a cloured or transparent sound?

not sure what im trying to say but something that can honestly do it all. i want to be able to get a smooth jazz tone and really crunchy mid range tone.

think going from BTBAM's Dan Briggs smooth tone to Jean-Michel Labadie from Gojira crunch
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Hmm, well first go and bring you bass and try as many amps as you can. Does you 7 string go f#,b,e,a,d,g,c or b,e,a,d,g,c,f or similar. If its the first one i would go get an 18 and 2 2x10's myself. Bi-amp them, 250hz and lower to the 18, 250hz above to the two 2x10's. Trace elliot make some nice preamps if you can find one that would be perfect that mixed qith QSC power amp and compressor(dbx160a) would be amazingly, smooth. Of course on preamps there's many more transparent smoother ones. The avalon preamp, the small little white one, cant remember the name, is probably one of the best but it does cost alot.

Any idea;s yourself for us to help you with.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul