Hi!

I've been playing the guitar for around half a year. I'm teaching myself.
I can play many chords, maj. min. (barred) 7ths (maj/min) , 9ths, 11th, 13th, (still working on the different positions to play them though)
I can play the major scale/pentatonic/blues scales.
Simple chord progressions from relatively easy songs (green day/plain white t's/weezer)
I also know how to play simple riffs/solos that I really like, for instance: eric clapton layla's solo, intro to sweet child o mine, snow (hey oh) intro by RHCP, green day solos.

I basically learned everything I can from justinguitar.com.
I can read music, but for the guitar, I only can read tab. I guess this is something I should work on.

Other than that, I'm stuck at this point where I don't know how to get better.
I know music theory- the guitar is my 3rd instrument, but now, it seems like I'm just stuck at this beginner/intermediate level.

What should I do now? Some people suggested playing songs specifically made for the guitar (not a band), does anyone know if there are such resources online?
thanks in advance.
Don't worry, when I was playing for half a year I was just messing around, not learning 13th chords and playing snow intro
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Learn the notes of the neck - that will make it a lot easier to read notation.

Use what you've learnt so far - use those scales to start improvising, and start learning some full songs - ACDC and Metallica are pretty good for fun and relatively easy songs. Just make sure you stick to a speed where you can play them accurately, rather than trying to play at the speed of the original.

Get yourself a copy of powertab or tux guitar and start downloading some tabs for songs you like and learn them!

Start writing your own stuff! (Just don't expect it to be great to start with )

Don't worry about feeling like a beginner after half a year - you're just starting out! Have fun, enjoy the journey and don't worry about what 'level' you're at - provided you're happy with your progress and you're having fun thats all that matters
Thanks. I know I've only started playing for a little while, it's just that because the guitar is my 3rd instrument, I'm very behind- what I mean is, most of my friends SHRED, cause they've been playing all their lives, and it's hard to keep up with them.
that's why i want to get better, and hey! it's fun getting good. haha

Quote by zhilla
Learn the notes of the neck - that will make it a lot easier to read notation.

thanks for your advice, zhilla, I was wondering if you had any quick advice on learning all the notes on the neck. My 1st instrument was the piano, and that was a piece of cake, but the guitar is like a maze! lol
Quote by thementor5
Thanks. I know I've only started playing for a little while, it's just that because the guitar is my 3rd instrument, I'm very behind- what I mean is, most of my friends SHRED, cause they've been playing all their lives, and it's hard to keep up with them.
that's why i want to get better, and hey! it's fun getting good. haha

thanks for your advice, zhilla, I was wondering if you had any quick advice on learning all the notes on the neck. My 1st instrument was the piano, and that was a piece of cake, but the guitar is like a maze! lol

Learn the notes of the C Major scale, on the first 12 frets (they just repeat after that). If you can remember those notes, it's easy to find one half a step up or down from a note you already know the location of.