Page 1 of 2
Hey dudes, thought this could be interesting, and might help some of us get insight.

First off, I have heard some of the music that the regulars of this forum have written, and a lot of it is kick ass music that I would love to be listening to. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

I also know that although some of the regulars here are in bands and do play shows at least somewhat regularly, there is a large number of musicians that are not in bands and do pretty much nothing with their music (myself included).

I've been wondering for a while why this is so, and why good musicians who can write good music are going to waste like this, so I thought I would make a thread where we can all share what we think is keeping us back, and not letting us become successful musicians.

For myself personally, I think it is mostly the problem with finding other members. Me and my brother both play guitar and can do extreme vocals some what ok, but that's about it. I'm sure if I searched hard enough I could find some local bassists and drummers that are actually good, but even then they would probably be people that want their band to sound like Whitechapel or Job For A Cowboy.

I could probably find a drummer who can play fast and can do good blasting, double bass, and fills, and maybe a year ago I would've been happy with that, but I don't think I would anymore. In my music I would want something more unique and creative than just blasting and fast fills. I would want a lot of jazzy incorporations into the percussion, in the style similar to bands such as Cynic and Atheist, although that's not to say that I wouldn't want to have fast blasting and really technical drumming as well.

The same goes for bassists. I doubt I would be able to find any decent bassist in my area who would be playing things like Cryptopsy and Atheist, which are exactly what I would look for in bass.

Just my thoughts, since i feel if I just had the proper band members who could contribute their own ideas and collaborate with, I think I could be a lot better off and closer to actual success.

So, what do you guys think is stopping you from becoming a well to do successful musician?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
What's stopping me is that everybody plays guitar, but nobody plays guitar well. My writing relies on having two guitars, and nobody here can keep up with me. Also, there just doesn't seem to be a vocalist here to fit our style. It doesn't help that we're still in school and have jobs.
ughh. here we go.
1. Got a rhythm, but he sux so much and he wants to learn, but i think he isnt willing to work for it. Also a friend.
2. CANT find ANY drummers, vocals, bass, or a good rhythm.
3. i live in GA. worst place to play metal. every1 who wants to play plays in the church band and wont even touch metal.
4. im a senior and its do or die time and it looks like its die. if i cant find a good group, im goin 2 college. College for me is go to class, work my ass off, prob. come to this hell hole of a house, and go to work. no room 4 guitar.
5. Shitty equpment.
6. Oh, almost forgot! Family, lets just say that they arent musically inclined... and definately dosent want me to play guitar
Last edited by Zakattak264 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by NickStrick
Dude, is The Unjesus and Blue Dreams you?

yes, but I don't find The Unjesus satisfying.

and Blue Dreams is just for shits and giggles.

Sumdeus
Lack of equipment and capable writers. If I were to make music, I'd be a one man band and just release music for free over the Internet. Problem is, unless you're a complete genius when it comes to being a good writer, you'll never get any attention.

Lack of equipment: I don't have the software needed to emulate the members I don't have.

Lack of capable writers: For every good song I write, there's several average/mediocre songs.

I'll have to get a lot more creative.
I have pretty much the same problem jetfuel.

If my recordings could be good quality and if I had a good drum machine I could probably actually make decent stuff on my own, but right now i think my Unjesus stuff sounds like shit.

Sumdeus
All of the bands in my area completely suck dick and don't know how to make/write music. Seriously, some of them have been playing their instrument for a few months it's terrible.
Uninspired, I have a fire in my stomach that tells me to make soul thrashing metal but I usually end up on UG. There is a serious lack of musicians sharing my interests musically, living in Montreal there are TONS of old school punk bands, a couple doom, and a handful of thrash. As soon as I bring up black metal people seem to run for the hills.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
I stopped sitting on the internet all the time and actually worked on my craft, found people dedicated enough and started working hard. Twice now.

Does that mean I win the thread?
quit braggin' and making all of us feel like losers!

Sumdeus
Right now I think it's a combination of time and money.

My band has been writing lots of material that is better than the older stuff and we really want to record a full-length and get our name out there, however:

1) We are all either students or have full-time jobs, and recording takes a lot of time.
2) With 3/5 of us being students, it's hard to scrape the cash together to get anything recorded. Our EP is being done for free by a friend of ours, but that comes with it's own problems (he's a busy guy as well).

Getting gigs isn't a problem, but that's only going to get you so far. Merch, advertising, and CDs really get your name out there and getting all of that stuff together is proving to be quite difficult.

However, I am not in this to succeed. I joined the band because I wanted to play metal and because it's just Goddamn fun to this kind of stuff. If there's any sort of success associated with that, it's just a bonus.
Shitty equipment, (Ill be upgrading soon though.)

Lack of common minded musicians.

Bad memory and ADHD get in the way of learning songs.
Mmmm, as k1ng_pooh said, unambition I suppose. Fueled by the lack of metal acceptance, or the fact that everyone just wants to play acoustic music..I want to as well, but I guess i'm not allowed to throw in a random solo over top of it anymore...*sigh*

I just want to play with some people.
Quote by Magero
I stopped sitting on the internet all the time and actually worked on my craft, found people dedicated enough and started working hard. Twice now.

Does that mean I win the thread?

No, while working on your guitar playing is gonna help, it's not the problem for most people. Working on the internet can get you in a band, it doesn't always work, but it can. I mean, You got extremely lucky finding these guys you say are dedicated. Where i live, dedication doesn't exist. Sure, i play with a guy who can shred the drums and can play along in time to his favorite tracks, but when we're rehearsing he expects everyone to play what he wants whenever he wants, and since he's so ****ing loud we can't hear each other for shit when he's playing, which means we never get anything done. He can't hold up in a jam either, since all he can play is shitty extreme metal...

I'm sure it's like this for plenty of people.
on a related note, my band has it's first out of town show ^_^ ..30 minutes away.

I have learned this however: even if you write mediocre music, if -as a band - you're entertaining live, you will get some recognition.
I don't practice guitar as much as I should. I can slam like a mother****er, but that's about the extent of my playing. However, once I get my vocals down I'm thinking of the possibility of finding someone to do guitar and moving my shit to a 2 man thing.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Main problems I can think of:

-Lack of funding. No money to buy a good amp with, no money to buy good mics or computer interfaces, and too lazy to download Reaper or something like that. Sure as hell dont have the money for studio time.

-Lack of time. School, work, etc, it gets in the way.

-Learning songs is a hassle. My friend and I sometimes write music [we actually went through a huge period of productivity, and finished a lot of songs. But then when we found a drummer, we tried learning the songs with him, and it was just tiring. It got to the point where we just hated playing our songs, and hated trying to teach him the songs how we wanted them to sound, even though he's a really great drummer. Same story with bass.

-Lack of metal musicians, specifically those who enjoy what we do; progressive, black metal, some death and doom, lots of classical.... We always either have trouble finding a bassist or a drummer. Now we found a drummer, and bassists are impossible to find.
The fact that I don't want to be a successful or professional musician is stopping me from becoming one.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
The fact that I don't want to be a successful or professional musician is stopping me from becoming one.

That is not an acceptable excuse!!!!!
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I think my voice of reason is what's holding me back. I love playing, I love entertaining, and I'd love to make a living of it. Play/practise everyday, I write now and then, but I keep telling myself how low the odds are and it's "a stupid dream".
So I never do anything to actually finish my songs or move my music out of my apartment.

That, and the fact that absolute 0 of my friends share my music taste. I absolutely love metal and all, but most people here just take it on as a lifestyle with gothy clothes, cotton coats, make-up, dyed hair, unnescesary accesories etc. (the degree varies of course)
And while some of all that can be cool, I just don't like it
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Lack of Metal musicians in the area, its really just me and another guitarist who likes the same genre and is Fairly decent at best.

Like 5 Drummers, but none like anything remotely metal...

Lack of Recording equipment to even get an EP out...

At least im able to write on TG and GP, and I have a song some people would call a 7-8 out of 10 composed... Working on a 7 out of 10 ATM...
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention..If you have a vagina, or a very large penis...You can pretty much make it anywhere in the music business.
Hmmm, I think a lot of just have problems finding members.

Like right now, I've got a band 3 songs written because my guitarists know theory and how to make a song good, I practice vocals everday but our drummer always keeps getting grounded and I think it's just the fact that people don't want to play heavy music you know? Their into simple stuff that's fun to play.

I drink your milkshake.
Lack of dedication is your problem

If you can write great, but seriously, if you want it to go anywhere, don't just sit there and complain, get off your butt and do something about it

It took me 2 years finding people for Defilementory, and just now, we have a proper line-up. The musicians aren't "from my area" and that isn't an issue if you want it enough. I travel 2 hours for every band practice, and I'm fine with it, because playing in the band is basically what I want to do.

Also, you want the best right off the bat.. Well that's pretty damn hard to get. Our drummer sure as hell wasn't as good as I'd like him to be when he got in the band. But he improved, and he started comming up with interesting ideas, and stuff.

Another thing that may help Magero and me is that were both bassists
Last edited by destroy_techno at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by severed-metal
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention..If you have a vagina, or a very large penis...You can pretty much make it anywhere in the music business.

But not both?
Members: I dont want to be a SOAD/SS/BDM cover band, because IMO theyre all sh!t. and another guy who fellates BTBAM wouldn't even want to write music, just play for fun.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by destroy_techno

If you can write great, but seriously, if you want it to go anywhere, don't just sit there and complain, get off your butt and do something about it

It took me 2 years finding people for Defilementory, and just now, we have a proper line-up. The musicians aren't "from my area" and that isn't an issue if you want it enough. I travel 2 hours for every band practice, and I'm fine with it, because playing in the band is basically what I want to do.

Also, you want the best right off the bat.. Well that's pretty damn hard to get. Our drummer sure as hell wasn't as good as I'd like him to be when he got in the band. But he improved, and he started comming up with interesting ideas, and stuff.

Hmm, I guess that's true.

Well, I'm taking up the bass so I probably will just do Bass/Vocals.
I drink your milkshake.
Quote by Inimical
But not both?

Ask Lady Gaga.

SHAZZAM. I'm kidding, her penis was disproven. Sadly.

Hmm...To better rephrase my sentence, i'm not for her having a penis..

....I imagine your sales will go through the roof if you had both.
Actually focusing and learning/playing/creating music as a collective group is a lot harder than writing/learning stuff on your own. If they're your friends it's even worse, it's so easy to become dsitracted.
There's a general lack of metal fans in this area, and I have no idea how to reach out to the few people who might enjoy our music.

Though it isn't a big issue since all the guys in the band does it for fun. If we wanted to get big we would have started a crappy indie rock band or played some extremely generic pop punk.
Quote by destroy_techno

That's a pretty good point.

Maybe I should join some more deathcore band and slowly introduce the members to more metal?

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
That's a pretty good point.

Maybe I should join some more deathcore band and slowly introduce the members to more metal?

Beats sitting on your butt

Who knows, maybe you'll find someone with a mindset and musicallity that matches your's more
Yeah, I guess I can try giving it a shot at least.

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
Yeah, I guess I can try giving it a shot at least.

I was in a grunge band before I joined a death metal band and met the members of my current band through the members of my old band.
Quote by severed-metal
Aw really? Me too!

Except, we covered Judas Priest as well.

Ha! We covered Metallica occasionally. The bass player and I were metalheads so sometimes we jammed Necrophagist in our jam space to mess around.

Got super bored of the music, though.
Haha, nice.

We covered Nirvana, Misfits, we even covered Iron Man, around the time where we were creating our own songs..We just finished grade 9 and just said fuck it

That was the end, of Corkscrew. We had so many different members, more members than Immortal, there were two chicks at one point, a bassist, but we booted him, for another bassist, same thing for guitarists and drummers...There were really only two people in it the entire time. Me and some other guy.
Page 1 of 2