http://espguitars.com/guitars_phoenix.html

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-FR1620

I'm about to sell my Strat for a new guitar. I was dead-set on the FR but I only recently realized how sexy the Phoenix is. I love the Wizard Prestige neck for it's playability, but it's not the most comfortable neck ever. Playing barre chords for extended periods kind of sucks. The Phoenix is probably more comfortable in that aspect. But do I really need 2 Ibanezes with the same neck?

I like Japanese companies, fixed bridges, humbuckers, good for anything between clean and mid-gain tones. I pretty much just want something that's a good contrast to the RG that I'll still enjoy playing. I haven't played the Strat in months and that's why I'm selling it. The main worries I that come to mind is that the RG and FR are so similar that I prefer playing the RG over it for pretty much everything like I do with my Strat. But on the other hand, they'll feel exactly the same so tone is the only factor in which one I choose to play. But the ESP feels better for rhythm playing and is tonally good. If you were in my position, which would you go for?
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 23, 2009,
while i like ESP's over Ibanez (although i like both a lot), i think that you could pick out a better style... just my opinion

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by StewieSwan
I think the ESP wins in every aspect

What makes you say that?

And neither Jelifish Caparison Angelus HGS GM FTW!
YGTBSM, you wanna get rid of your MIA Deluxe Strat?

I'd hold on to that until you can afford to buy one of these others outright and have a 4th guitar.

If you're not playing a 22 fret guitar much now, then I don't know why you would one of these other 2. I've got a growing collection including Strats, Ibanezes, and a Schecter & I play most of them daily when I can make the time. I've had periods where the Strats sat around a bit, but I always come back.

Don't do something you'll regret later. Unless there's something very wrong with that Deluxe, it ought to be a family heirloom.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Nov 23, 2009,
go ESP, I was considering that model at one point, but I am gonna get a Padge model.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
They both look awesome ... I would take both :-)

Since there both pretty high end guitars i think your the only one who can make this decision ... Your gonna have to try em out extensively...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by jetwash69
YGTBSM, you wanna get rid of your MIA Deluxe Strat?

I'd hold on to that until you can afford to buy one of these others outright and have a 4th guitar.

If you're not playing a 22 fret guitar much now, then I don't know why you would one of these other 2. I've got a growing collection including Strats, Ibanezes, and a Schecter & I play most of them daily when I can make the time. I've had periods where the Strats sat around a bit, but I always come back.

Don't do something you'll regret later. Unless there's something very wrong with that Deluxe, it ought to be a family heirloom.

The thing is that the Strat doesn't suit me. I don't really like the single coils. I thought that's what I wanted when I bought it but I'm really not happy with it since I got the Ibanez. Personally the Ibanez means way more to me than the Strat ever will. The Strat seems more like an expensive collector's item rather than a great instrument. It's a great instrument, just not great for me. It's not worth more than any of the others. They all cost around the same price.
Ibanez, obviously.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Can anyone provide some reasons that pertain to my situation as to why you suggested one over the other? As it stands, the Ibanez has perfect playability but it's not so comfortable for barre chords. But I don't even play them often. It has a more comfortable bridge too. It also has better pickup switching with the 5-way switch. The ESP looks better and is more comfortable for extended chording. It would seem like the Ibanez is the obvious choice, but I already have an Ibanez that feels exactly the same, it's just tonally different with a fixed bridge.
I'd pick the Ibanez due to the bridge (I hate TOM style bridges),the extra 2 frets,the fact that it has a better playing neck IMO (IIRC that neck is satin finished and the ESP is painted gloss),and that it's basically a shred tele,which appeals to me on some odd level.

The neck may be the same as your other guitar,but that doesn't mean the character and fell will be the same.Even guitars that are the same model feel different from one another,and you could always swap the pickups to give it a different sound or use it for alternate tunings.The fact that the neck is the same is kind of a plus,since you're already familiar with it and you'll have a consistent playing platform amongst your guitars.

Also,just from glancing it looks like the ESP has a 24 3/4" scale,which I'm not a huge fan of.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The neck on the ESP is satin or oiled and the scale is 25.5", but the other points are exactly what I'm thinking. I hate gloss necks and 24.75" guitars too
Quote by JELIFISH19
The neck on the ESP is satin or oiled and the scale is 25.5", but the other points are exactly what I'm thinking. I hate gloss necks and 24.75" guitars too

Hmmm,what a deceptive guitar haha.

You could,and this is just a suggestion,find an HH telecaster,since it would combine some of the best features of each guitar.The neck would be easier for chording,but still fairly fast,It'd have a similar shape t the Ibanez,and a more comfortable bridge.

Maybe something like this:

Fender 60th anniversary tele w/ lindy fralin pups

That option aside,I'd take the Ibanez for comfort,features,and playability.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Love that Ibanez. The only thing I don't like about is that damn Prestige logo on the headstock. I want the check mark :P
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Ibanez: Tight-end bridge, Prestige neck treatment, it isn't a Gibson knock-off. It's also probably less expensive though I don't really feel like checking. Does the ESP come with a fitted hard-case?

So, Ibanez; obviously
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by ch0
Ibanez: Tight-end bridge, Prestige neck treatment, it isn't a Gibson knock-off. It's also probably less expensive though I don't really feel like checking. Does the ESP come with a fitted hard-case?

So, Ibanez; obviously

Yes! Quite an expensive case might I add too, feels solid, sounds great, is on the lighter side compared to other cases but it felt alot more solid in my hands which makes up for it's lightness and I guess means you shouldn't feel too worried about getting it beaten up badly.
I'd still have the Ibanez. Granted, I do want both; we'll assume there's only money for one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
I'd take both if I could. But Ibanez seems like the first one to get of both
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
id go with the ESP, mostly because the pickups will be a tad more organic, at least to my ears, dont get me wrong the prestige ibanez pickups sound good, but the jb and 59 is a timeless combo that makes harmonics shine and doesnt cut too much midrange out. also the ESP is made of mahogany which is more of a aclectic tonewood, meaning it does highs and lows very well, ash is good but isnt as diverse. only issue, i havnt been able to find a phoenix for sale yet, im actually considering buying one as soon as i can get my grubby hands on one to play
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
i would go for the esp since you already have a RG. plus, that phoenix looks AWEsome!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
esp here
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What makes you say that?

And neither Jelifish Caparison Angelus HGS GM FTW!

Agreed, but holy crap those are expensive.

24.75 inch scale on those too I think... I'll stick with TAT's and Dellinger's.

To TS: I'd go for the ESP, especially since you have an Ibanez with that neck. The ESP will be every bit as shreddable as the Ibanez while also being more comfortable IMO. Plus I like variety.
Although I usually go with Ibanez, Id get the ESP.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Phoenix. Best Firebird style guitar out there right now.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by JELIFISH19
The thing is that the Strat doesn't suit me. I don't really like the single coils. I thought that's what I wanted when I bought it but I'm really not happy with it since I got the Ibanez. Personally the Ibanez means way more to me than the Strat ever will. The Strat seems more like an expensive collector's item rather than a great instrument. It's a great instrument, just not great for me. It's not worth more than any of the others. They all cost around the same price.

You'll never get all your money back out of that Deluxe unless you stick it in the closet for a couple of decades.

I'm not a big fan of SCs either. My Squier now is in the HH config with very different pups than it came with (Duncan Detonators). The MIA Strat sat around for a while when I got some other guitars with buckers, but I always come back to it.

You could always just get another pick guard and change out the pups to hold you over till you graduate and get established.

Don't like short scales? Why not sell off the Epi?
Quote by stratman7
Agreed, but holy crap those are expensive.

24.75 inch scale on those too I think... I'll stick with TAT's and Dellinger's.

Expensive? **** they're the cheapest new Angelus out there Unless you're thinking of the Angelus HGS 'cos they are expensive but oh so sexy. I want to get a TAT to compliment my Dellinger soon hopefully an Iceberg but lack of hard tail model disappoints
Man, I don't know what I was thinking. The reason I don't play the Strat is because it doesn't feel as good as the Ibanez. It's not that it didn't sound good. It sounded better for some stuff than the Ibanez but I still used the Ibanez for that stuff simply because playing it felt perfect. I wanted something that felt like the Ibanez but sounded better for cleans and mid-gain stuff. The ash FR fits that bill perfectly. I just got caught up in the sexiness of the Phoenix and the lack of sex-appeal in the FR. Maybe it'll look better with some different pickups.