I'm having this problem composing new riffs where I come up with amazing sounding chords, but dont seem to know what to do with them. At best I get an arpeggio, but beyond that, I'm lost. I have a decent theory background, but it doesnt seem to help my creative juices. Any ideas of what I may be missing here? Or is it just a slow period?
like most people you didnt post what genre you're writing for, but just take a break. write down the chords, and after the break try some strum patterns or sticking them in between a pedal note or something. your best bet is try some new phrasing, spacing, passing tones.
There's an exercise one of my teachers taught me that might work. It didn't really help me but others were really helped!

Get your chord progression and write out the notes in each one down.
CMaj7 - CEGA
FMaj7 - FACE
G7 - GBDF
CMaj7 - CEGA

the aim is to arrange the notes in each bar so that a semitone is the distance between each chord transition.

You can then fill in the rest of the notes, trying to create the feel you want (choppy intervals, smooth leading etc.)

then you can change the timing, put some trills, or some triplet type stuff... whatever

her's a gp5 file of going through each step.
Attachments:
bhl.gp5
Last edited by mdwallin at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by tenfold
like most people you didnt post what genre you're writing for, but just take a break. write down the chords, and after the break try some strum patterns or sticking them in between a pedal note or something. your best bet is try some new phrasing, spacing, passing tones.

ack, sorry. hardcore and post rock-ish
Mdwallin's exercise is something I do from time to time when I just can't find the inspiration. It works well.

Also, the standard response to one of these threads is listen to and learn more music. The broader your musical horizons, the more knowledge you have to draw on, the more inspiration you'll have.