I purchased a Cort Z44 second hand from a guy that said he bought it new less than 2 years back. He said that it has EMG HZ's in. I know the newer ones come out with HZ's but the older ones came out with Cort pickups.

Now I want to know how to check whether or not they are EMG's. They have chrome covers on and nowhere on the pickups does it indicate whether they are EMG's. I removed one from the guitar to check the back, but nothing. I wanted to remove the cover, but the back is waxed and I'm scared that the wax might break off if I remove the cover?

Is there any "signature" things I can check to see if they are EMG's?
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
EMG came out with chrome covers earlier this year, so unless it's a custom cover it's not an EMG. HZs have black slugs, most other pickups don't, so that's another way to tell.
I know most other EMGs have a green back, I'm not 100% on whether the HZs do, but I imagine they might. A few pictures would help a lot here.

Another thing you can do is check to see if the color coded wires line up with EMG specs.
I can't post pics at the moment. I highly doubt it is a custom cover. I'll check the wiring to confirm. Thanks a lot.
Ok, so I've checked and I'm pretty sure the pups isn't EMG's. Still think I got a good deal as the guitar got loads of potential. It is quite dark sounding and sounds really dark with my Randall which is a dark sounding amp. I like it though. I popped on 0.11's and tuned to dropped C and it's a beast.

I'm considering replacing the pups for actives. Any thoughts on that?