Well my problem is kinda serious for me. I just can't play for long hours. The skin on my fretting hand will come off the next day, or the next days.. and i'm left with fingers that have a thin layer of skin. And playing like that is painful. I'd like to know what might cause this problem. I've tried different strings, avoiding bends to let it heal, but it will come off again, non seems to help. What could be the cause.. How to avoid it?

Thank You
I don't mean to be a dick, but go to a frakking doctor.

Anyways, sounds like you just haven't built up calluses yet. It was quite a sore experience for me to play guitar a lot when I'd just started. The only cure is perseverance.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I would say play through it, but that resulted in tendonitis for me. Now I can only play once a week for 5 minutes. Get in line.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
I'd suggest wearing some kind of gloves that would prevent you from any nasty peeling and would not be of any discomfort when playing, also, I'd check a dermatologist.
Perseverance is the key here as you are yet to develop the callouses you will need in the long run.

I remember it being quite the painful process for me and took a few years before I could pay for hours every day with zero discomfort.

One technique i heard works is superglue infact i believe Toni Iommi uses it but for gods sake dont do it on raw flesh cos i dont even want to think about how painful it would be to get off again. Infact scratch that idea as its destined for disaster.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
play until your fingers bleed \M/
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
i guess we've all had that problem, usually the finger tips harden up over a period of time.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by BeerBlood
I would say play through it, but that resulted in tendonitis for me. Now I can only play once a week for 5 minutes. Get in line.

Lucky for him the fingertips have no tendons!
Well, the way you describe it sounds a bit worse than when i got my callouses. let it rest for a few days, and stop fretting with so much strength. Another thing you can do is to start off with 09 gauge strings, and move back to 10 when you've hardened up a bit. If the problem persists after a few weeks of this, go to the doctor.
i had the same thing. I just played piano instead for a week, so that it could heal. Then I developed calluses and I don't have to worry about it anymore.
Can you upload a pic, so that I can see how serious it is?
it took me about 6 months to be able to play for 6-12 hours straight without pain
and i do cocaine
Check with a Dr it sounds like your getting blisters but it could be how hard your pressing on the strings you really don't need to put a ton of pressure on them. It didn't take me long to build up calluses on my finger tips but I also did a lot of construction work. How long do you usually play? I practice three to four hrs a day not all at once here and there. Your average gig you might play a 30 to 45 min set. You really do not have to have rocks for fingertips.

John
Thank You for the answers. I must admit i have played for about 5 months almost every single day, 1-5 hours a day. Before that it was once in a while.
i can't take a photo of these today.
But hell it's weird since 1st and 2nd finger have like holes in em, the 1st is a little sore when used, the 2nd is fine as we speak. But the 3-rd. It's like, well.. it looks better today, i can't see any red (not sure what it was, but i'm gonna guess flesh), but still hurts when used. The pinky has lost a little skin, but i can use it just fine. But there ain't a lot of songs i can play with a pinky.
Well i'm gonna pull back from playing.. Change to .09 and just see weather things change, if not i'm gonna visit a doctor.
same thing for me .i could never get callouses too. but then the more i played the more my fingers hardened. now i can play long as i want. my skin always use to break and stuff but it jsut takes time. ...
same thing happens to me, my fingers are beyond gross because they are so hard. i guess just play through it mate =/
besides... whos gonna notice you finger tips lol. if its a discomfort issue, im not really sure. i play both electric and acoustic and i have a set of 12's on my ellectric and 11's on my acoustic. my acoustic hurts a little, but only after 2-3 hrs of straight playing.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.
Quote by gingerfish73
it took me about 6 months to be able to play for 6-12 hours straight without pain

oh and this my friend... you are a guitar god. 6-12 hrs. zomg
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.
it could just be tender skin building a calous go to a doctor though i actually had a student once who was allergic to nickel, so everytime he played his fingers blistered and peeled, so we had to order special strings with no nickel in them
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
So am i the only one here who puts super glue on their finger tips if they are expecting to be playing a long time? Its quite effective, just make sure its completely dry before you play.