Why is a chord with the third as lowest note called in first inversion and is spelled as for example: V6 ?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I don't know why it's called V6 but a "first" inversion chord is so called because of the formation of the triad, 3 5 1. So, inverting a chord is taking the bass note and putting it into the soprano (highest) voice. A chord in root position has the root of the note in the bass (lowest) voice.

Now, if you take the root and invert it (put it into the soprano voice) without changing any of the other notes, you will have the 3 in the bass. This chord is said to be in "first" inversion because it's the first chord combination you get when you switch the bass of a chord.

A chord in second inversion follows this, with the 5 in the bass and the 3 in soprano, it is the second chord combination you get when you switch the bass of the chord. It's a bit wonky but it makes sense if you learn it and accept it.
Thank you!

Quote by st.stephen
I don't know why it's called V6

Me neither, It appears to be like that here: http://musictheory.net/lessons/html/id52_en.html
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

It's called first inversion because you just move the bass note up an octave above the other notes, and then the third happens to be the bass note. Second inversion gets its name because you take a first inversion chord and invert it, putting the third up an octave, which drops the fifth to being in the bass and now the tonic in the middle.
This page will help you on the notation.
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 23, 2009,
Actually it doesn't matter which note of the chord is on the top.

Root position = tonic is the lowest note
1st inversion = 3rd is the lowest note
2nd inversion = 5th is the lowest note

For instance, you could have the 3rd, then the octave, then the 5th above that octave.
That's still 1st inversion.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
The V is just because it's the dominant chord in that key. I 1st inversion is also called a 6 chord because the distance between the bass and the root is a sixth.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Thanks, that made sense
Quote by razorback91

It's figured bass. The 6 (short for 6/3) implies the third and the sixth above the bass note and indicates a first inversion chord. 6/4 is a 2nd inversion chord. Then for 7th chords there are more such as 3/5/7 and so on.