So my cousin is going to the US of A and im getting him to buy me a top of the line amp...I was thinking the Mesa Mark V because of its switching power modes (90-45-10 watts) and ridiculously versatile sound. Will the 10 watt mode actually be bedroom level or just a different sound?

Next thought was the Mesa Roadster or Triple Rectifier.

Any other suggestions on this...i like the sound of the power switching on the Mk V because i play alot at home as well, probably even more than in the studio or gigs

But this is a major purchase, as i might not buy another amp ever. I also may not get to try the Mark V as i live in Australia.
Well the Mark V is a fantastic versatile amp that's for sure, but it doesn't have the perfect metal tone, it depends on what sort of sound you want. The Mark V is very good at giving you a great hard rock/classic metal sound, but if you want it to do anything more you're going to need some sort of boost (tube screamer, etc.) to get it to where you want. I know that Billy Hyde have got a Mark V in (the SA one anyway) so maybe try a local Billy Hyde and see if there's one there.

Personally though, i'd try having a look at ENGL amps (also stocked by Billy Hyde) which do the metal thing a LOT better, if you get the chance try the Invader, one of the most versatile amps in the line up
Switching the Mark V down to 10w helps, but you're not going to be able to crank it in your bedroom if that's what you want. It's more for headroom (in other words, earlier breakup) than volume.

The Road King is still Mesa's flagship amp. I'd consider that over the Mark V if versatility and sound quality are your ultimate concerns (not to say that the Mark V sounds "bad"). If metal is your primary concern, check out ENGL as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well for one, that's not enough for either of those amps unless you buy used. Also remember that you will need to pay 100 bucks for a step down transformer and 15% customs taxes when you get it back to Oz.

Also SDM, if your insinuating that the Mark can't do metal than you are a massive retard, no offense. If Metallica, Dream Theater, Lamb of God among many MANY others aren't heavy enough then I really don't know what to say.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22

Also SDM, if your insinuating that the Mark can't do metal than you are a massive retard, no offense. If Metallica, Dream Theater, Lamb of God among many MANY others aren't heavy enough then I really don't know what to say.

+1
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by TOMMYB22

Never said it couldn't just said it needed a boost, i've tried one out before and it just didn't feel like it could keep up with some of the other amps i tried (dual rectifier, ENGL Blackmore) for the heavier side. If you can dial one in, more props to you, if you love the metal sound it brings, even better, just for me it didn't have enough balls to warrant using it as a main metal amp
Quote by TOMMYB22
well for one, that's not enough for either of those amps unless you buy used. Also remember that you will need to pay 100 bucks for a step down transformer and 15% customs taxes when you get it back to Oz.

A. Yes it is enough, i have been trolling sites all day

B. I have factored in transformers

C. Whats all this about customs taxes?
Quote by TheBackHouse
A. Yes it is enough, i have been trolling sites all day

B. I have factored in transformers

C. Whats all this about customs taxes?

If you import anything worth over $1000 into Australia you're going to get charged import tax.
Quote by SDM
Never said it couldn't just said it needed a boost, i've tried one out before and it just didn't feel like it could keep up with some of the other amps i tried (dual rectifier, ENGL Blackmore) for the heavier side. If you can dial one in, more props to you, if you love the metal sound it brings, even better, just for me it didn't have enough balls to warrant using it as a main metal amp

Well to be fair they are renown for being a tweakers amp. It's not the kind of amp that you can just plug in and play and i doubt even in an hour you could have used it to it's full potential. I'm just saying that it's already tight and definitely has enough gain so while i understand that you personally may not prefer this amp, it's a little absurd to say that it's not a metal amp.

Still TS, don't limit your self to just the Mesa's or even the ENGL's. Your already spending a lot of money and there are many other brands too.

Also, maybe look at some other European brands too like Bogner, Laney and Diezel to name a few. I know it doesn't go with the 'cousin going to the US' plan but they have many quality amps and if you want one it would be a lot cheaper to get one straight from Europe since just as brands like Mesa are overpriced here, brands like ENGL and Bogner are overpriced in the US.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I'm not gonna touch the customs thing, since I'm not savvy on Ausie law, but to give you a couple options I like for metal that I know fall in your price range:
*Mesa Dual Rec
*Diamond Nitrox
*Peavey 6505+
*Marshall JCM800KK

talk to the kitty if you want more info on a MkV, he's got one and to the best of my knowledge loves it.
Quote by GrisKy
I'm not gonna touch the customs thing, since I'm not savvy on Ausie law, but to give you a couple options I like for metal that I know fall in your price range:
*Mesa Dual Rec
*Diamond Nitrox
*Peavey 6505+
*Marshall JCM800KK

talk to the kitty if you want more info on a MkV, he's got one and to the best of my knowledge loves it.

is that raginkitty?
I'm gasing majorly for a NitroX or an Uberschall right now but thb you've got better a better chance of finding Bin Laden in a music store over here than a Diamond amp!
Bogner, diezel, engl or peavey. Mesas are definitely an acquired taste and require a crapload of tweaking before they sound good; you won't sound like the black album straight out of the box.

Personally, I think bogners dry crunch tone is one of the best on the market. Others may need an eq or od to sculpt the sound you're looking for.
backhouse: yes

ax: true, but have you tried contacting them directly? it'll be one hellova' shipping rate, but no more than you'd drop for the bogner (EDIT: by US prices, about $1600+shipping).

haz: TS would have to about double his budget to go home with a USED herbert or VH4 (the Diezels made for metal)... miiiiiight find a deal on a used Einstein tho. yngw3 gets metal out of his... still a long shot on the given budget tho.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 23, 2009,
Yes the Mark series are "tweaker" amps but its not like they're impossible or take forever to find "your" tone. Spending a half an hour reading the owners manual twice before you get going can cut your learning curve down exponentially. Now i cant speak for the V but I do have a IV and its a similar beast. I've had it for about a half a year now and find new tones weekly. The V will defenitly be one of the most versitile amps in your price range. Maybe looke into Axe FX?

As for practice volume, i run my IV at FULL volume (full power, simul, pentode) for bedroom practice, and its retarded brutal. Dont be fooled by the functionality of the different wattages available.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Krank?

They're love/hate, but they're supposedly SUPER versatile for metal, you can get, like, any high gain tone with them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
It also might help if we knew where your friend was visiting in the States. It's not like these amps are sitting well stocked at all the major retailers.

A used Splawn Nitro would fit the bill as well and has a mains power conversion built in. But again, you are going to have to scour the city your friend is going to. Can't speak to the tax thing, your best bet would be to have friend rebox it in unmarked box and tell customs he had a 'gig'.

PS: What kind of metal?
You could pick up a used Engl SE for a little more than $2000 which will pretty much destroy anything else you could buy for the price.

But yes, there will be customs taxes unless you insure the amp for a very low price and wish to take the chance of it being broken, over paying extreme amounts of taxes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i was thinking about the crazy tax-z0rz and this mark v would only be afforded if i worked like a biatch during all the school holidays and sold most of my crapp gear...

thinking of getting maybe a smaller amp and saving my money, Krank Rev Jr Pro or Orange TT with a TS9
I'm sorta waiting to leave the office... but WHAT kind of metal are we talking about here?

The Mark V ranks (IMO) as an amp you'll never get rid of for want of versatility. However, if you're a plug and play d00d, it ain't for you.

You can get virtually any kind of tones on the Mark V... and no you do not need an OD to get high gain metal. Although, it's not really a chugga chugga amp, you'll need an OD with tube rectification on channel 2 to really get the chugga chugga going.

Krank IMO is not a good amp to get unless:
1. You mainly play metal.
2. You can live with a clean channel that's fat.
3. You can get to grips with the tweaking.
4. You like the tone.

If you can afford it... I'd look at the Mark V for signature tones. However, if you're looking for versatility and you're not specifically looking for the Mesa Mark tones, you can look other other things like ENGL, Bogner, Splawn, Soldano... or even AxeFX if you want to go the rack route eventually.

The Mark is a great amp packed with versatility... but it's not really an amp I'd recommend for
1. non-tweakers
2. not looking for the Mesa Mark sound

Its a great amp no doubt... but don't cut out other options.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
hughes and kettner switchblade. i use it and it's insane for metal.

h&k do have the coreblade out,but i havnt played or seen one around yet.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
At that price range:

Used VHT/Fryette Pitbull - Amazingly tight, articulate tone.
Engl Fireball 100 - Fantastic dark, slightly compressed sound.
Mesa Roadster - Extremely versatile along with the signature Rec sound.
FJA modded 6505+ - The well known 6505 sound taken to new levels.

Can't go wrong with any of them, it all depends on what type of voicing and sound you're looking for.