I have watched videos and all I can find is videos saying how to tell if your guitar is having intonation issues... and I am.

heres my guitar
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417

dont know if its needed, but if its in tune like the open strings, then its not at the 12th fret or the 12th fret harmonic, and I have tryed to adjust the bridge and it doesnt make a diffrence at all, once I tuned it back up its the same...

what do I need to do?!?

thanks, all info is much appreciated.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
I took that into consideration, ive never had to do major work on my guitar or anything, so what tools, do I need?
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
My suggestion would be to take it into your local shop and get a setup job done. Should only cost you $30-40 and it will make all the difference in the world.
hmm alright, ill probably wind up doing that, as opposed to effing my guitar up, but I wanna learn how to since im not wealthy lol, and believe it or not 30$ is alot to me
Quote by SkyValley
It is definitely a good thing to learn and nothing wrong with trying to fix it yourself.
I had a book recommended to me once called "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" -- I think they sell it at StewMac. I've never read it but I hear it is excellent.
hmm alright, but for the time being im going to try and figure it out through google's amazing powers, if I mess it up too bad then surely a music store can fix it =P
thanks for the replys =D
Quote by SkyValley
Erm, are you a troll? Intonation isn't hard to fix at all. $30-$40 would be a lot to pay for fixing the intonation on a guitar. If the truss rod isn't set properly though, its a different story but, unless the truss rod is set up EXTREMELY badly, its not really going to stop you from adjusting the intonation with the bridge.

If adjusting your bridge doesn't work, then the laws of physics where you are living must be broken.

Just ring the 12th harmonic on a string and match it to the note played at the 12th. If it is sharp, move the bridge back and vice versa.
Oh, and just to reiterate, don't touch the truss rod unless you are sure that that is the problem, which I don't think it is. If that is the problem, then unless you are sure of what you are doing, I wouldn't adjust the truss rod, because that can mess up your guitar.
Quote by vismbr
I had the same problem, had to adjust my truss rod.

what? no.

like said, dont adjust the truss rod in this instance.
and never adjust it before reading up on it.

thread starter. tune the string.

after you tune the string, fret the string at the 12th fret.

is it in tune there?

if not then adjust the intonation screw only.

small adjustment. then AGAIN tune the open string.

the fret the string at the 12th fret.

did the tuning change at the 12th?

if it did, then you have a better understanding of how to intonate.

for a full tutorial with pictures, click the green link in my sig.

if the strings tuning doesnt change at the 12th, then are your strings fresh?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
do it yourself youre perfectly capable and itll save you like 40 or 50 bucks
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.