Hi, I have recently bought a Blackstar Series 1 200, but the shop didnt have the 4 x 12 in stock, so i took a 2 x 12 instead. Whilst trying it out in the store, the guy in the shop set it up and it sounded like a nice crisp metal sound. I have tried, but cant get this sound.

Can anyone advise a) Is this cab ok? b) how to get a good metal sound to start with.

This is my 1st cab/head so i am confused.

Thanks

Nathan
Probably your EQ settings.

How did you set the EQ and which channel/mode do you use?

Also, which cab did you play it through in the shop?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I have channel OD2, the power in the middle, and presence about 8 oclock. Bass about 3 oclock, middle 6 oclock and treble about 3 oclock. It was a 4 x 12 blackstar one.

Master volume about 6 oclock and channel volume up quite a bit.

Is the cab i bought good enough?

thanks
what 2x12 cab did you buy?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Work around a bit with your EQ.

Bring the gain up to about 7, probably scoop your mids a bit with a setting like this:
Bass: 7
Mids: 4
Treble: 7

Put the presence down a bit, probably use your channel volume for the volume instead of the master, DPR to 20W and play around with the ISF.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by nathansavidge
I bought a black star artisan 2 x 12. Thanks, i'll try that.

The Artisan is loaded with V30 speakers so it should be alright. It's probably your EQ then. You're just going to have to play around with the EQ. There is no definitive 'metal sound'...the only definite part is that the gain is set quite high. Other then that...it really depends what metal you're playing.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by nathansavidge
I have channel OD2, the power in the middle, and presence about 8 oclock. Bass about 3 oclock, middle 6 oclock and treble about 3 oclock. It was a 4 x 12 blackstar one.

Master volume about 6 oclock and channel volume up quite a bit.

Is the cab i bought good enough?

thanks

Definitely the EQ settings, for a more crisp tone up the treble bring the bass to around noon and then the mids to taste, I usually have my mids high but I like a fat rock tone rather than metal.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

umm, You've got a 200W head but they set you up with a 120W cab.

You might want to think about exchanging that. (don't even start talking about the DPR knob or I'll kick you in the nuts)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
umm, You've got a 200W head but they set you up with a 120W cab.

You might want to think about exchanging that. (don't even start talking about the DPR knob or I'll kick you in the nuts)

Good point.

If there are no matching cabs just get a 4x12 Marshall 1960 AV or a Orange PPC412 cab, just something with more than 200W.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i was just about to point it out^ but i don't want a cyber nut kicking
its only really a problem if he's pushing the amp A LOT
but its definately your EQ settings gain up to about 3 o clock presence to probably 2 o clock (maybe less depending on your taste) middle up abit bass to anywhere between 2 o clock and 9 treble just match to your taste
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by superfish1232
its only really a problem if he's pushing the amp A LOT
It's mostly an academic problem at this point. Nevertheless, the store shouldn't have sold him a cab that he'd be able to blow out the first time he flexes the volume knob.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...