I play guitar and I am trying to write songs(but not sing)..And am new to songwriting.
And I can't come up with any good lyrics. Any HELPFUL tips you can give me?

And by the way, am trying to write stuff like Metallica
For lyrics?

Just write and write and write and at first don't care if it's good or bad, just write. Once you write a song, don't keep revising and tweaking it, because it will never be perfect. Move on t the next one. Don't get so caught up in rhyming that you let it restrict what you are saying, remember that lyrics don't even have to rhyme. Main, driving point that ties it all together goes in the chorus, everything in between goes in the verses.

And post your lyrics on S+L for people to critique. When you get critiques, completely ignore everything positive and work on improving everything negative.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by MaddMann274
I play guitar and I am trying to write songs(but not sing)..And am new to songwriting.
And I can't come up with any good lyrics. Any HELPFUL tips you can give me?

And by the way, am trying to write stuff like Metallica

mike?

EDIT: sorry you sound like someone i know.

anyway to the point:

you just diagnosed the problem yourself. songwriting is a creative, original artform where people can express their deepest thoughts. if you are trying to write songs "like" someone else then you aren't allowing yourself to expand your thoughts. write stuff that is YOU, not someone else
Last edited by JayLacelle at Nov 23, 2009,
I don't mean this in a mean way, but you're being way to vague to solicit good advice here. You're new to it, that's excusable though, so don't worry

What exactly do you mean by can't come up with any good lyrics?

Can't pick subject matter?
Try to write and you don't like the result?
if so, why don't you like it?

Give us this kind of info and we can help quite a bit more.

I'll throw in the generic advice though: lyric and songwriting are just like every other skill, you're going to suck hard at it until you've gotten a considerable amount of practice under your belt. Write often and revise what you've written often. Pay attention to the specific things you don't like and try to change them in the next thing you write, pay attention to what is working and keep using it.

Also spend time listening to the bands you like, like Metallica, and articulating exactly what they're doing--rhyme scheme, images they use, specialized language you don't hear other places, etc. --and make sure you have some fun.
Like JayLacelle says, the most important thing is that you are being you. What makes Hetfield's writing so awesome is the fact that it's honest and real and part of him. What I always tell my band is that you don't EVER try to present what you like in someone else. Totally be you and let the crowd take it or leave it. That's what made the greats, great and it's all that'll make you great. If you copy someone else you might end up being the best mediocre poser ever. Be you it's good enough.
When I mean I cant come up with anything I mean:-

I don't know what to write about
Cant get any ideas
Cant get my story into a song
Try reading a article on Hetfield and you'll see that he uses issues from his childhood(his mother was a christian science believer who didn't believe in medicine at the expense of her own health) his failed marriage and his strugles with alcoholism (Rent "Some Kind of Monster) use his example as a method to take things from your life and write about them.
Last edited by TRocr at Nov 28, 2009,