Somehow I have myself convinced that I need a 2x12 speaker cabinet for whatever amp I purchase next (or buy a 2x12 combo), instead of a 1x12 (or buying a 1x12 combo). But I like the idea of a 1x12 simply because its the cheaper option.

What is the sound difference between the two? I know it won't make a difference in how loud the amp is, so will the extra speaker just give a more fuller sound? Better quality sound? More clarity?

I'm not gigging, just playing in my living room.
Fullnes. If that makes sense. Usually, 4X12 sound warmer than 2X12's and so on and so on.

Speaker quality is going to have a lot to do with warmth, as will the amp itself.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
It will have a fuller sound and a little louder due to two speakers instead of one
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It will be a little louder due to the fact that there is simply more cone area moving air, and it will sound a bit warmer
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by KAS1981
What is the sound difference between the two? I know it won't make a difference in how loud the amp is, so will the extra speaker just give a more fuller sound? Better quality sound? More clarity?

soundwise, it will sound more "full". if you have two different speakers in some cases, it might sound somewhat "dispersed". That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

However, i assure you that a few months down the road, you will start experimenting with different speakers and different cabinet designs. A 1x12 cab will mean that you will only need to switch one speaker to experiment as opposed to 2x12s or 4x12s where you probably will end up switching more than one.

at the same time, you can isolate individual speakers in 1x12 cabs and be able to hear obvious differences in your sound with that one speaker. in 2x12s or 4x12s, you either hear very little difference, or spend lots of money trying to hear some difference.

with the money that got you a 2x12, you can get two 1x12 cabs. definitely consider that.

a 1x12 cab is definitely more economical, and much better for experimental and exploration purposes.

i hope i have allowed you to see my point and, if i may be so bold, persuaded you to take my suggestions.

Quote by KAS1981
I'm not gigging, just playing in my living room.

1x12 cabs are easier to carry and move around.
In the living room you want quality over quantity. I'd get a 112 combo like a Budda Superdrive.
you get 2 things from 2x12's over 1x12's. 1) increased air movement, this is a result or the extra speaker, but this will make you louder, project you more, and make you sound 'bigger'. 2) increase effective noise making surface area, this results in more perceived low end response, 2x12's acts like ~15" speaker.

i also like how i can mix 2 speakers with my 212, yes a 1x12 is nice if you know 1 speaker can give you your tone, but recently i have been mixing speaker for effect. i like alnico and ceramic speakers mixed for the tone i am after right now, so a 2x12 helps me do that. i usually set my 2x12's wth a mono/stereo option.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I wandered this alot then I tried out the same combo and half stack, the half stack has 2x12 and the combo had 1x12.

The half sack had a more full tone... On the same settings the half stack sounded alot better, being warmer, less noisy and most of all more responding to the settings I messed about with.