I'm trying to get better at playing blues and I was wondering something. When I do a standard blues I-IV-V progression, am I supposed to make each chord dominant or just the V? I'm finding some info that tells me to use only 7th chords for the entire progression, and some info that tells me to use major/minor chords and only use the 7th on the V. Both sound good to me.
Quote by JayLacelle
each option gives you a different sound. their is no "right" way to do it.

This. Use 'em all, and have fun with it. Glad to see someone else is picking up the blues!
It is the blues. You're supposed to feel what you play, play what you feel. So play what sounds good at that moment and experiment. I for one play 12 bar blues with the IV moving around quite a bit and the dominant chords appearing every 2 bars.
Quote by drewfromutah
I'm trying to get better at playing blues and I was wondering something. When I do a standard blues I-IV-V progression, am I supposed to make each chord dominant or just the V? I'm finding some info that tells me to use only 7th chords for the entire progression, and some info that tells me to use major/minor chords and only use the 7th on the V. Both sound good to me.

I guess it depends for instance alot of Hendrix and SRV stuff is alot of 7th chords [not necessarily dominant] then players like BB king and some more jazz orientated players have entirely dominant chords.
This opens up more of the opportunity to use a Dorian sound, of course there are no strict rules which say you can only do it a certain way, as you probably know the blues is all in the feeling. Go with what sounds good !