Ok so I have been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years now and I've always played straight off of tabs that people created and lately (already learned some BFMV, Atreyu, and KSE) I have not felt like i'm leaning the song but not actually learning to apply it to what I want to learn (writing songs and soloing for metalcore and hard rock) and I have learned the most basic of the basic three of chords you can learn (D, A, E) and I have learned some scales as well like this pentatonic scale.
Example 1
e---------------------------------------------------------------------------5-----8--------
B------------------------------------------------------------5------8--------------------
G------------------------------------------5----7----8----------------------------------
D-----------------------------5-----7----------------------------------------------------
A------------5----6----7-----------------------------------------------------------------
E--5----8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the chromatic scale
Example 2
e-------------------------------------------------------------------------7---9---10------------
B----------------------------------------------------------7---9---10---------------------------
G--------------------------------------------6---7---9------------------------------------------
D------------------------------6---7---9--------------------------------------------------------
A----------------5---7---9----------------------------------------------------------------------
E--5---7---9------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I dont know where to move from here because when I try to learn theory it is kind of confusing but it's too slow as far as playing and I have no idea where to even start learning (more scales, chord construction, theory, tabs etc) so I am lost right now and would much appreciate anybody that reads this to help me out either with where to start and if you want what kept you motivated and helped you learn.
My Gear
-Marshall MG10CD
-Line 6 Spider 3 15 Watt
-Jackson JS30RR
-Ibanez RG2EX1

???
Your example of the pentatonic is actually the blues scale. The chromatic scale is incorrect too, I think it's the A major scale. Also, you haven't technically learnt those scales. You've just learnt a pattern on the fretboard that you have been told is a scale.

You'll get lots of people telling you different (very often conflicting) ways to learn theory. Is there any way that you could afford a teacher? I think that is probably the best way to go. There are some links in my sig that might help you out a little bit, but at the same time all that information might make you feel like you have jumped in at the deep end.

So I suggest a teacher.

If not then I would suggest (like I said, lots of people will do it in different ways) definitely learning some more open chords and learning about the major scale. You have the whole internet to help you, and you can post more specific questions here.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Your example of the pentatonic is actually the blues scale. The chromatic scale is incorrect too, I think it's the A major scale.

You'll get lots of people telling you different (very often conflicting) ways to learn theory. Is there any way that you could afford a teacher? I think that is probably the best way to go. There are some links in my sig that might help you out a little bit, but at the same time all that information might make you feel like you have jumped in at the deep end.

Ya see that shows my lack of knowledge of scales as well and yes I could afford a teacher but it seems that there is only 1 teacher that I had learned with but he didnt seem like he knew what he was doing really
My Gear
-Marshall MG10CD
-Line 6 Spider 3 15 Watt
-Jackson JS30RR
-Ibanez RG2EX1

???
Yeah the first scale you mentioned is the blues scale, but if you take away that 6 on the A string and the 8 on the G string you have your pentatonic. But remember this is only one position. Once you are comfortable enough with that one, try learning another position and practice using both of them while improving. Then do the same thing with another position till you know your whole fretboard.

And the second scale isnt the chromatic scale, im pretty sure its the whole tone scale which is alot less common than the pentatonic. I would focus on the pentatonic first, then move on to other scales.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
You might find the guides that your looking for on this website, just look under "columns". Though teachers are better, since you get the one on one.
So should I learn theory or scales or both??
My Gear
-Marshall MG10CD
-Line 6 Spider 3 15 Watt
-Jackson JS30RR
-Ibanez RG2EX1

???
I've extended my first post

Quote by Gmarkey

And the second scale isnt the chromatic scale, im pretty sure its the whole tone scale which is alot less common than the pentatonic. I would focus on the pentatonic first, then move on to other scales.

I'm pretty sure it's A major as it has the notes A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote by Danielpz94

Scales are a part of theory. Theory is a like the language we use to describe music. At the most basic of levels I suggest learning about the major scale and intervals. Then learn how to make chords from the major scale. That should keep you going for a while.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Nov 23, 2009,
^^^Hey you're right. It is the A major scale, I thought it was whole tone because of the shape it was in...I dont think thats a very common way to play the A major scale lol, at least not for me.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
oi! here's an article i wrote for UG that will definitely get you going in the right direction... it starts with a bit of a commentary on why theory is useful, then it gets into an explanation of the very very basics that nobody seems to get told when they start out.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/the_trouble_with_theory.html

maybe it'll help you out
Quote by Danielpz94

scales are theory

Quote by Gmarkey
^^^Hey you're right. It is the A major scale, I thought it was whole tone because of the shape it was in...I dont think thats a very common way to play the A major scale lol, at least not for me.

Shapes are immaterial when it comes to actually defining a scale - what's important is the notes and intervals it contains, and also the context it's being used in. Shapes are just incidental, a physical quirk that occurs when you arrange the notes on the fretboard but they don't really mean anything on their own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 23, 2009,