I am considering trading my HR Deville 4x10 for a Fender Evil Twin (Red Knob Twin). Does anyone have an evil twin? Is the clean channel still as clean as the newer twin amps. I don't want one of the 65 twin reissues as the clean to drive channels are not foot switchable.

Any advice or thoughts on the Evil Twin would be very helpful.

Thanks
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
I am considering trading my HR Deville 4x10 for a Fender Evil Twin (Red Knob Twin). Does anyone have an evil twin? Is the clean channel still as clean as the newer twin amps. I don't want one of the 65 twin reissues as the clean to drive channels are not foot switchable.

Thanks

I haven't played one but they're supposed to be great. They do have the typical twin cleans, but apparently the drive is more similar to mesa's. I've heard these can get pretty heavy too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
More versatility than a TR but imo doesn't sound quite as good clean or overdriven (but ymmv). It depends what you want, it's just my opinion but, if I were to get a Fender, then I would want that classic, Twin Reverb overdrive tone, rather than a fizzy, high gain Mesa impression.
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST

Thanks

You are right about the '65 TRRIs, but the Twin Amp has distinct clean/gain channels which are footswitchable.
TS, I swear you just traded away your Spider for that? Like only a few days ago?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
^^ Yeah wasn't there a thread where you traded your Spider Valve for the DeVille?
I had one for a few months, maybe 2+ years ago, pretty cool.

It could shake the earth, but I moved on pretty quick.
I don't do the channel-switching thing, so it's all about cleans for me.

Compared to the blackface thing, it's too sterile, a bit more like a silverface, and it REALLY reminded me of the ultra-linear Riveras. I believe, but I'm not certain, that it is a UL.

So it can certainly do the deep, bell-like chime, but just doesn't warm up even a little until you're knocking the walls down, and even then it's got a pretty twitchy, overly sensitive break-point into natural distortion, and it's not nearly as pleasant as other Twins once it gets there.
Hence the drive channel, but like I said, I'm not onto that: too fizzy, no grind, no cream.

That said, the thing is a monster, and REALLY liked pedals.
They're cheap to pick up these days, and while I may sound negative about them, keep in mind I'm comparing it to one of the most sought-after amps ever built, and my personal favorite.
So when I say it comes close, that's not all that bad!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
TS, I swear you just traded away your Spider for that? Like only a few days ago?

Yep, I just traded an HD147 for this Devile. What I REALLY wanted all along is one of the new Pro Twin amps. Which I was unable to find a trade for. So out of sheer curiosity I posted an add on CL to see if anyone wanted to trade a Deville 4x10 for a Pro Twin or Evil Twin. And I found someone intersted. My general thought is that the Twin on 25% power will be better than the Deville on full power. Ie 25 watts vs 60 watts.

And yes... I am a gear *****, always swapping something out.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Blues
John Mayer, Clapton, SRV

Rock
STP, GnR, Lamb of God (will use Fulltone OCD)

If I were to get a TRRI would I be able to ABY switch the two channels?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Last edited by ANTHONYLBEST at Nov 23, 2009,
channels on a TRRI aren't clean and overdrive, it's normal and vibrato.
^^^Correct, you could ABY for different EQ's and levels, but that's about it.

You'd need a dirt box or two to approximate your hrd's two channels.
That said, the TRRI is quite pedal-friendly, and in my opinion, an OCD, or any number of decent tubescreamer style ODs would do better then the HRD's drive channel.

Then again, the pedals-into-clean on the HRD would be a better solution to channel -switching, IMHO...

What are your reasons for switching amps?
The HRD 4x10 would be just about perfect for those styles...
The reason for the switch would simply be for the power change. Honestly I love my HR Deville, its just SUPER loud. I have an volume control that I run in my effects loop which allows me to bring the overall volume down a bit. Doesn't work quite like a master volume, but not too bad.

I have a TS7, TS9DX, and a OCD which i use to color my tone. I haven't used the deville's drives much at all. I thought the Twin might have less volume on the 1/4 power setting, and I have heard the gain on the Evil Twin might even get me into some metal territory.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
That's the problem with these amps, they're SO hard to bring down into a sweet spot.

I'm thinking that if you're looking to bring things down a bit, stay far away from twins, even with power switching.
Ultra-linear amps are VERY difficult to actually "push", the concept is built around the idea of minimum tonal coloration through-out the volume range.

If you wanted to go for metal tones, then maybe, it certainly had enough "gain" in the drive channel, but I don't do metal, so I can't comment if it is suitable or not.
Just seemed fizzy to me.

There's other amps out there, IMHO, that you'd be happier with.
The Deluxe Reverb would fit the bill deliciously, as would a Hot Rod DeLuxe 1x12 (which typically goes for a good bit cheaper than your HRD4x10, maybe you could make some money off that one!)
HDR have the sucky OD though
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
HDR have the sucky OD though

Read... He said he gets his dirt from pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
just saying
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
So pushing a DRRI (at 22 Watts) would be better than trying to push a Twin (at 25 watts) simply based on the structure of the amps? Are the new Pro Tube Twin Amps "ultra linear" as well?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
So pushing a DRRI (at 22 Watts) would be better than trying to push a Twin (at 25 watts) simply based on the structure of the amps? Are the new Pro Tube Twin Amps "ultra linear" as well?

Yes, in that example. I'm not sure about the Pro Tubes but I think they stopped the ULs after a few years. Don't quote me on that, though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Wiki leads me to believe that only the Silverface Twins were UL... Is that correct?

If the Evil Twin is not a linear amp would it be easier to find a sweet spot on its 1/4 power setting? Especially if i used that in conjuncture with a volume control in the effects loop?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
I stand corrected, the Evil Twin/ Red knobs were not UL from the factory, although several tranny dealers do offer a UL replacement for it, leading me to believe it was a common "upgrade".

But the fact remains that these are not known for produced the most pleasing of tones.
It could be that you'll fall in love with the deep, crystaline chime, but it's far more of a sterile tone than other models.

Also, another thing to keep in mind: trading your HRD for one of these would NOT be a very good deal IMHO...
Unless your amp is beat to hell/not working, or his amp was freshly tubed/serviced and immaculate.
Nope... my HRD is in awesome pristine shape.

Ok well i will scrap the trade for the Evil twin and keep focused on finding a DRRI,TRRI, or a Twin Amp Pro Tube series.

Thanks for all your help. I just want tone with soul at some lower volumes where i can get some real push.

Probably should be looking at a Blues Jr NOS huh.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R