Im 21 and I love music (singing and guitar) with all my heart.. but making it in the music industry is super difficult so I think i'm going to settle for something more practical but still music related.

I studied woodworking (joinery) for 6 years and I was thinking of becoming a guitar maker or repairer.. but im not sure If this type of job are in high demand..
I could perhaps take a course on recording...or live sound control

Honestly I just want something music related that has a decent amount of work opportunities and has decent money..

Any ideas ?

I live in Vancouver
27mMoV31II7.a2
Thought this would be obvious, guitar technician?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
How about working in a studio? maybe managing a starting band? Guitar teacher, guitar luthier or something

just some ideas
Loads, Music Therpaist, Music Teacher, Session Musician, there's loads to name search it on google.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by pepsi1187
all i read was music and decent money... don't get your hopes up bro.

care to explain further?
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
care to explain further?

I've just yet to meet someone who can make ends meet comfortably on a job that involves him and his guitar.
Quote by pepsi1187
I've just yet to meet someone who can make ends meet comfortably on a job that involves him and his guitar.

If you're talking about making it big like a rock star...then you totally missed my post
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
If you're talking about making it big like a rock star...then you totally missed my post

no i didn't.. I understood your question entirely. You want to make a living with your guitar without any major affiliation with the music industry. You don't think it's a realistic possibility to become a 'big rock star ' as you put it.. so you're asking for other guitar-related jobs. I get that part.. and my point was that the kind of jobs you're asking for don't generate much money to sit comfortably on
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by pepsi1187
no i didn't.. I understand your question entirely. You want to make a living with your guitar without any affiliation with the music industry.

First I didnt say anything about making a living with my guitar..i said I love guitar and i want something perhaps related to it like making guitars or teaching or selling.

Second...I did not say I dont want anything to do with the music industry I simply said that it is difficult so Im content with something more practical.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
First I didnt say anything about making a living with my guitar..i said I love guitar and i want something perhaps related to it like making guitars or teaching or selling.

Second...I did not say I dont want anything to do with the music industry I simply said that it is difficult so Im content with something more practical.

no need to get an attitude, i'm just offering advice.

Unless your selling and marketing your own recordings or performances or assisting others in doing the same thing, then your involved with the music industry. You made it seem like that you would rather do something else then be a performing artist.

I'm gonna try to elaborate my point. but please lose the attitude because I'm trying to help. I sympathize with you. I've seen teens and adults make some pretty bad choices because they're too stubborn to make 'practical decisions'

First off, every other job relating to guitar and music are just as impractical as the next. You could always get a job teaching guitars or selling them. Idk how good shops like guitar center pays, but other then that i don't know where you'd have as chance finding steady work.

you could try teaching guitar, you could try to work at venues running sound boards, lights, etc.

You could try to learn how to produce music for other people, and that line of work takes money to make money at first. you need to cover for recording hardware and software and after all of that.. you gotta be able to make them sound good. and with producing, you can't count on having a steady flow customers, because musicians are broke ****s

basically, there are a number of things you can do.. but my point was that. jobs like these probably wont pay the bills.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Nov 23, 2009,
I've heard there's alot of money in doing room acoustics and stuff like that.
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
hey dude

I am a guitar teacher....20 years now. Got certified to teach public school and run a guitar and jazz program. I get to play on the weekends and pass my craft to others...

Got to go to college and practice ALL the time.

Follow your dreams brutha

www.straightaheadjazz.net
Quote by Antimage27
I simply said that it is difficult so Im content with something more practical.

but that is weak, life is difficult dude.

Don't just quit something because it's hard.
I heard about this career where you only use one question mark.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.