Stumbled across this on CL. It's cut like an SG but it claims to be an LP Custom. Label mishap at the Chinese knockoff factory or the real deal?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1478410377.html
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
yeah big time

look at truss rod cover
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant
Quote by xXBlack_PickXx
yeah big time

look at truss rod cover

actually, Epi's have the dual screws at the bottom, unlike a Gibson

its probably legit, but get the serial number and do a check first

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Just remember that the SG was a LP during the Early sixties.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tyler Durden
actually, Epi's have the dual screws at the bottom, unlike a Gibson

its probably legit, but get the serial number and do a check first

Eh, I'm not really interested, just saw it and was wondering if it was real because I've never seen anything like it. I don't see why Epiphone would market something as a Les Paul when it's clearly cut exactly like an SG
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i THINK thats a G400 custom, usually their a cream colour, but i saw one of these in black like this a while ago.
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
i heard that the SG was originally a les paul custom, but thats just me
Quote by soul_power
Eh, I'm not really interested, just saw it and was wondering if it was real because I've never seen anything like it. I don't see why Epiphone would market something as a Les Paul when it's clearly cut exactly like an SG

When SGs were first produced/released they were called Les Paul Customs or Les Paul SG or something like that, so this is probably just a replica of the original SGs. It looks legit to me anyway.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Yeah the sg customs with 3 pickups have les paul on the truss rod cover.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ask the guy for the serial number. It looks like a really cool guitar. It must be old because SGs used to be called Les Pauls, and the tuners are the classic kind
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Quote by Xanron
Ask the guy for the serial number. It looks like a really cool guitar. It must be old because SGs used to be called Les Pauls, and the tuners are the classic kind

don't think it's old. just a reissue.

anyway, looks legit to me. a friend of mine had the same guitar in white. was pretty nice!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
its a 60s les paul custom copy by epiphone, yes its legit, in the 60s gibson redesigned the les paul without his consent to the SG body because it was lighter, and more costly. he diddnt like all the sharp curves and sales decreased because back then the sg was a risky shape for guitars, they renamed that the Solid body Guitar and went back to the old LP style.
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
That guitar is perfectly legit. I've played quite a few of the Epi SG-Les Paul Customs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The only thing that looked weird to me was the spacing between the vol & tone controls. Thye look awful crowded. Is that normal?
Moving on.....
The original Les Pauls looked like the Les Pauls we see today but.....

"Gibson modified the Les Paul line. This 1961 issue Les Paul guitar was thinner and much lighter than the earlier models, with two sharply pointed cut-aways and a vibrato system. However, the redesign was done without Les Paul's knowledge. When the musician saw the guitar, he asked Gibson to remove his name from the instrument and parted ways with the company. Although this separation occurred in 1960, Gibson had a surplus stock of "Les Paul" logos and truss rod covers, and so continued to use the Les Paul name until 1963. At that point, the SG guitar's name was finally changed to "SG", which stood simply for Solid Guitar. In addition to the SG line, Gibson continued to issue the less expensive Jr's and Specials (and the Melody Makers) with the newer body style. These were the standard Gibson electric models until the reintroduction of the Les Paul Standard Goldtop and the Les Paul Custom guitars to the market in 1968."

So there were a few years where the SG shape was the Les Paul! From the pics I would say it's a Genuine Epi Les Paul Custom. IMO $250.00 is a decent price, the ones I have seen and checked out run between $300.00 and $320.00 used.

John