I have just read the stickied thread on basic recording stuff and I'd just like you to tell me if this is correct and a little help.

I am getting an sm57 for Christmas in hope of recording some stuff for my band. So I will need the mic, a pre amp to go into my computer, and a new soundcard right?Or am I confused? I'm not entirely sure. I'm new to techy stuff and it all confuses me a bit.

Also how cheap do you think I will be able to get everything needed for a fairly good sound? (£

Sorry if I'm being to vague.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
No, you need an interface which is a preamp and analogue to digital conversion (a soundcard basically) all rolled into one. Something like an M-audio fast track, EMU 0404, Line 6 Toneport UX1.

About 200 dollah new for all this stuff, cheaper second hand, I'd only get the 57 if you have a nice amp though.
If you're planning on playing through a pre-amp going through a sound-card (or through a sound-card then a pre-amp interface), you won't need the mic... If you want to play through your own amp and speakers you will need a mic going to a sound-card. It's quite obvious really.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Nov 23, 2009,
Oh ok thanks. Well yeah, its a fender superchamp XD. Nice little valve amp. And I will be recording other acoustic instruments with it aswell, so I can't rely on line outs.

I'll take a look at that line 6 toneport as it should be a little less daunting to look at. It's not an amp modeller is it? I can go straight through from the amp>toneport>computer without any change in tone from amp models and stuff can't I?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.