Poll: gibson SG or epi Les paul
Poll Options
View poll results: gibson SG or epi Les paul
Gibson SG special faded
34 58%
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
25 42%
Voters: 59.
I am looking into a new guitar and have sort of narrowed it down to the two of these.
The question is which would you purchase?
I think that quite clearly the gibson is better but the epiphone is nearly 200 euros less money. Is the gibson worth 200 euros more? or is it even better?
I'm not too sure about the Epiphone, but the Gibson SG Special Faded is a freakin' piece of garbage. I owned one, and it was a horrible guitar. Keep saving up and get an SG Standard.
I'd save a little bit more money and get a Tokai SG, MiJ. That's my thoughts anyways.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
are the gibson sg standard and the gibson sg special faded not very similar except for the pickups?
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Wow, were do you shop for your gear, a Tokai that costs more than a Gibson?

Well, you can pick up the faded series Gibsons for £500 or so, but the Japanese Tokai's will probably set you back at least £600. Worth every penny in my opinion.

If you're talking about the Chinese Tokai's though, then yeah, they shoudl be about £200 for an SG and £320 for a Les Paul. Still surprisingly nice guitars though
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I say the Gibby SG faded but try them out first. You might find an Epi LP to be better. It's getting harder to find Gibsons that are decent. I have played a lot of Gibsons and no matter if it's one of the lower end faded series or the high end ones it's hard to find a perfect one. Epi seems to have gotten to a point where they are very consistent in build quality and easier to find one that is great to play with no issues. I just got in from trying some new guitars at Daddy's and GC. I just found out that one of my usual haunts is closed!! They had some great used guitars. Anyway it seems like more and more Gibsons are being sold with bad fret jobs and finish problems every Gibby I played today was pretty much fail. Not one passed the fret rocker test! NOT ONE! Leveling frets is pretty much easy but when your paying 1000s of bucks on a guitar there should be no need for it. Again I would get the SG faded as long as you fine a good one.

John
Rather than type a long, contrived response, I'll just say that I'd rather have a nice Epiphone than a shitty Gibson.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
from what ive heard epiphones do seem to be more consistent.
i would say from research that the gibson is a better guitar but not necessarily 200 euros better. agree?
Heres a rule of thumb that I go by:

High end Epiphones > Low end Gibsons. I vote for the Eppi. I just bought an Eppi Les Paul Custom and it's a great guitar

Edit: Also, I think Les Paul > SG, but thats just an opinion
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Awfulplayer
I'm not too sure about the Epiphone, but the Gibson SG Special Faded is a freakin' piece of garbage. I owned one, and it was a horrible guitar. Keep saving up and get an SG Standard.

just because you got one you didn't like (lemme guess, without trying it first?) doesn't mean every single SG special faded sucks.

The high end epi>low end gibson thing is utter nonsense though. sometimes people will like the japanese epiphones such as the elitist series better than low end gibsons (Which is about right considering they cost the same, if not more!), but it's absolute nonsense to say an epiphone les paul standard or custom is better than a gibson faded. You're just getting much better quality wood, and a lot more care going into the production, when you buy a gibson, than you get with an epiphone, that's why epiphones are that much cheaper. Of course, most epiphones are pretty similar, while some are just better than others, whereas gibsons so different that you've gotta find the right one, rather than a "good" one because most of them are very well built and good quality whether you personally like them or not.

my advice would be to try before you buy and just buy a guitar that you like that suits your personal taste, regardless of what brand/model it is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Sunshine86
Rather than type a long, contrived response, I'll just say that I'd rather have a nice Epiphone than a shitty Gibson.

Well yeah, but I'd rather have a nice Gibson than a nice Epiphone. And low end Gibsons aren't necessarily bad guitars, but a guitar should always be inspected before purchased (which should be obvious). Humans aren't perfect and so guitars can leave the shops with flaws.

But I'd go with the LP in this instance because I like them better than SGs.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I should just say that I've played a bunch of Gibson Melody Makers, the cheapest of Gibson models, and been very happy with them. They felt....unique...but they sounded amazing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Epiphones are horrible guitars go with the gibson, it might not have any fancy binding, or paint for that matter but it will feel so much nicer to play.
Quote by So-Cal
Epiphones are horrible guitars go with the gibson, it might not have any fancy binding, or paint for that matter but it will feel so much nicer to play.

Wrong. Maybe an Epiphone special will feel cheap, but with any company, they have high end guitars and low end guitars. Some are good, some are cheap. Epiphone makes some good stuff and some not so good stuff, as does Gibson, Fender, Line 6, ect.
I hate my sig
Quote by Kurapica
I should just say that I've played a bunch of Gibson Melody Makers, the cheapest of Gibson models, and been very happy with them. They felt....unique...but they sounded amazing.

yeah, i don't think there's very many genuinely "bad" gibsons out there at all - even the cheapest thing they make has a certain quality to it that makes it stand out, whether you like it or not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by A Tua Prima
thanks for the replies

the thing is is the gibson worth that extra 200 euros?

I would say no. If it were me, I'd take the Les Paul even if they were the same price. But try them out yourself and see what you think. There's alot of Gibson namedroppers who think just because the headstock says Gibson it'll automatically beat anything else, but thats not always the case
I hate my sig
comes down to what you prefer. neither of those are similar to me really besides the neck weight and sustain are different. the Sg faded guitars aren't bad. for the price they are pretty good. it's hit or miss on one that feels good. thats pretty much a lot of gibsons though. play them and see which you like best.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I would say no. If it were me, I'd take the Les Paul even if they were the same price. But try them out yourself and see what you think. There's alot of Gibson namedroppers who think just because the headstock says Gibson it'll automatically beat anything else, but thats not always the case

But I think it's more important to remember that on this forum, mostly of teenagers who don't really have the cash to splash on a Gibson (I sure didn't), people see Gibson and run screaming, "THE QUALITY CONTROL HAS TOTALLY GONE DOWN AND THEY ALL SUCK AND EPI ARE BETTER AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A BAD EPI AND I LOVE MY EPI AND I'VE TRIED 300 LES PAULS AND ONLY 2 WERE GOOD AND I REALLY DO LOVE MY EPI AND AREN'T COMPENSATING AT ALL" etc (with similar grammar :P).

It's just important to take every guitar as it comes. Gibson are, generally, better guitars than the Epi's which copy them. Unless the Epi is a top end Elitist, the Gibson will usually be better. As much as I wish it wasn't the case...after all, if Epi's really were just as good, then I would have a bunch of Epi LP and SG's...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
But I think it's more important to remember that on this forum, mostly of teenagers who don't really have the cash to splash on a Gibson (I sure didn't), people see Gibson and run screaming, "THE QUALITY CONTROL HAS TOTALLY GONE DOWN AND THEY ALL SUCK AND EPI ARE BETTER AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A BAD EPI AND I LOVE MY EPI AND I'VE TRIED 300 LES PAULS AND ONLY 2 WERE GOOD AND I REALLY DO LOVE MY EPI AND AREN'T COMPENSATING AT ALL" etc (with similar grammar :P).

It's just important to take every guitar as it comes. Gibson are, generally, better guitars than the Epi's which copy them. Unless the Epi is a top end Elitist, the Gibson will usually be better. As much as I wish it wasn't the case...after all, if Epi's really were just as good, then I would have a bunch of Epi LP and SG's...

This is true... I am still a teenager myself actually And while it's true that Gibson is generally better (since after all, Epi's are Gibson copies), that doesn't mean that you can't get a good Epiphone.

Also, It's important to remember that Epiphone is it's own (not independent) company and is not just another word for "crappy Gibson wannabe"

Fix'd^
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Also, It's important to remember that Epiphone is it's own independent company and is not just another word for "crappy Gibson wannabe"

complete opposite of the truth.

Epiphone are actually owned by gibson, and have been since the late '50s - that's hardly independant if you ask me

edit: unless i completely missed your point- i realise you could've meant "epiphone is gibsons own company", in which case i apologise

Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
complete opposite of the truth.

Epiphone are actually owned by gibson, and have been since the late '50s - that's hardly independant if you ask me

edit: unless i completely missed your point- i realise you could've meant "epiphone is gibsons own company", in which case i apologise

they are OWNED by Gibson. But they're still not Gibson. I actually forget what exactly my point was going to be. I guess just that, people shouldn't look at it by automatically saying Gibson > Epiphone in every case, because that's just not true. They are actually made slightly differently.

I saw a layout of all the actual differances between Gibson and Epi once.) It wasn't a huge difference, but some things were Epi's use a polyurethane finish, and Gibsons use some kind of thin laquer, Gibsons generally use Mahogany, Epi's use either Mahogony or Alder, and it also said Epiphones have a characteristacally darker tone with more mids and bass, and obviously that Gibsons are made in America, which is generally considered to be a good thing
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
they are OWNED by Gibson. But they're still not Gibson. I actually forget what exactly my point was going to be. I guess just that, people shouldn't look at it by automatically saying Gibson > Epiphone in every case, because that's just not true. They are actually made slightly differently.

I saw a layout of all the actual differances between Gibson and Epi once.) It wasn't a huge difference, but some things were Epi's use a polyurethane finish, and Gibsons use some kind of thin laquer, Gibsons generally use Mahogany, Epi's use either Mahogony or Alder, and it also said Epiphones have a characteristacally darker tone with more mids and bass, and obviously that Gibsons are made in America, which is generally considered to be a good thing

Well yeah they are made different. Epiphone is geared towards a cheaper price point. materials and the way they are built are different obviously. if they where to the same quality of gibson but sold for less, im pretty sure gibson would have gone under pretty quick due to the fact people would just buy epiphone. i am a gibson fan. i haven't ever really picked up a gibson i didn't like, but with my job and bills i dont make enough to really afford gibson. so epiphone is where i tend to put my money towards. finally getting my first gibson this friday though.

eother way, epiphone isnt a bad company. the cheaper gibsons arent bad at all. the sgs are pretty similar to the standard, you just pay more cause of the finish really. material wise they are pretty similar really.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
it seems that because the guitars are made in usa they are better. is there a reason for this? are they done more manually?

what are the main tonal and other differences between a les paul and sg? what types of music is better for each?

For the first time it looks like there are more votes for the epi. interesting.
Last edited by A Tua Prima at Nov 26, 2009,
it seems that because the guitars are made in usa they are better. is there a reason for this? are they done more manually?

That's what seems to be the general reason. More craftsmanship maybe?... I don't know how much difference it really makes tho

what are the main tonal and other differences between a les paul and sg? what types of music is better for each?

Number one differance that I find, and the reason I personally like Pauls better, Is the balance of the guitar. With an SG if you play standing up and you don't hold up the neck, it falls until it's pointing toward the ground. It feels like you have to constantly hold the neck up. This annoys me.

Tonally, I'm not exactly sure, but it seems SGs are generally geared toward heavier distortion sort of stuff, but maybe I'm wrong. That's just my two cents

For the first time it looks like there are more votes for the epi. interesting.
I hate my sig
i personly found if i want a les paul but dont have the cash to blow on a gibson lp standard there are other brands out there where you can get a lot of gtar for little cash like the esp ltd ec-401vf is $630 and has flamed mable top mahongany body mahonany neck and seymour unca pups...
as for the goson sg vs epi les paul, gibsonsg al the way ive played the special faded multipl limes at gc and its a very nece plating and comfortable gtar and the epi felt kinda cheap and was alot mudyer soulnding...
The faded SG's is hit and miss. BIG time. We have one that's poop and one that's brilliant where I work. If it's a good one, you'll know it the second you pick it up. In that case, buy it.
Epi's generally are just made to gibson specs, in china, using lesser components. Draw whatever you want from that.

I'd widen your search to more than those two options, but that's me. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for the replies. still hard to choose though.
it seems like they are both decent guitars.
Quote by Crohny
Well yeah they are made different. Epiphone is geared towards a cheaper price point. materials and the way they are built are different obviously. if they where to the same quality of gibson but sold for less, im pretty sure gibson would have gone under pretty quick due to the fact people would just buy epiphone. i am a gibson fan. i haven't ever really picked up a gibson i didn't like, but with my job and bills i dont make enough to really afford gibson. so epiphone is where i tend to put my money towards. finally getting my first gibson this friday though.

eother way, epiphone isnt a bad company. the cheaper gibsons arent bad at all. the sgs are pretty similar to the standard, you just pay more cause of the finish really. material wise they are pretty similar really.

actually that's a bit of a mixup really.

what you're saying is entirely correct except for the last bit. With the faded series you actually pay a lot less for the finish, hence it being "faded". what gibson tend to do is cheap out on the things that don't affect the performance of the instrument more than anything else with their lower end guitars. so that includes the finish, which is usually a thin transparent red or brown nitro finish with no clear-coat, no binding, no pickup covers on a lot of models.. etc etc.

as far as materials go you're actually getting much better quality wood - it's usually the same species, but metaphorically speaking, it's free range as opposed to battery farmed.. basically, the mahogany that you get on a gibson is going to be a superior cut.