Have about £600 to spend on a new amp. Gotta atleast be like 15 watts minimum to get past drummers, bassist, rhythm guitar. I currently play a mexican fender telecaster. I play classic rock kinda thing with a modern twist- Bands I play are mostly Turbonegro (see videos), AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, White Stripes, The Black Keys, Velvet Revolver, Guns N' Roses, Maybe a bit of Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Who, Towers of London, Rage Against The Machine, then also as I get better I might play a little bring me the horizon, megadeth etc but this isn't really neccessary right now.

So, yeah, Turbonegro's tone pretty much sums up what I want. Apparently the guitarist (euroboy) used Marshall JCM 900's, and sometimes peavey 5150's. So I've been looking at used jcm 900 half stacks on ebay and they seem to be in my price nicely- What are UG's opinions on these? So please suggest me some amps, tell me your opinions on the jcm 900. I'll most likely be buying it used from ebay.

Thanks alot. Here are some clips of turbonegro's tone I want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxWYXnoGjY (wait until lead comes in at about 20 seconds, but I also like the rhythm tone!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4RgGtcEQS0&feature=related
Last edited by dotheFlop at Nov 24, 2009,
i have a orange rocker 30 and i love it
you should consider one
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I think the model I was using for a while was the "Hi Gain" or something like that.

Either way, it easily could nail turbonegro and the above. I really liked the amp, would buy one myself it one came up.
Most of those bands are pretty much power tube distortion, i'd def suggest a maximum of 20 watts for those bands.

The JCM900 is more of a high gain thrash metal amp, and it won't really do poweramp distortion without killing your bandmates

I'd suggest something like the Marshall 1974x or the 20 watt Lead and Bass (clones of these of course)

You should check out Brown Note, they make good clones of those amps and you could order one from them, PM Gabel, he has a Brown Note 18 watter and it's pretty much all you listed right there, maybe except for GnR (but you can always use a boost pedal)

Also check the Blackheart 15 watter, it can be switched to 7 watts so you can crank your power tubes even harder
Orange rocker 30! Loud as ****, but you'll love it.

Tiny terror will also nail those tones. Look into a tiny terror combo, theyre relatively cheap but theyre AMAZING. Just mic that sucker up if you want more volume. It loves to be pushed though, and its still very loud even on the 7 watt half power option. I tried one once and cranked everything to 10, volume gain and tone, and ill be damned if i didnt get some insane rock/heavy rock/heavy metal tones. Use gain to taste.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Thanks everyone for their posts, I appreciate it.

I'm going to head off into town sometime, and try out the Orange Rocker 30, Marshall JCM900, Tiny Terror, and possibly a blackheart handsome devil (don't know if they'll have it, though).

BTW, What is the difference between the rocker 30 and ad30 orange amps? Thanks.
Quote by steve!
i have a orange rocker 30 and i love it
you should consider one

This, I will be getting one and I play pretty similar stuff to you.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by dotheFlop
Thanks everyone for their posts, I appreciate it.

I'm going to head off into town sometime, and try out the Orange Rocker 30, Marshall JCM900, Tiny Terror, and possibly a blackheart handsome devil (don't know if they'll have it, though).

BTW, What is the difference between the rocker 30 and ad30 orange amps? Thanks.

rocker has more gain
whereas the ad30 is a little more vintage voiced
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
anything british sounding considering the bands you mentioned
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!