So my friend has gave up guitar and is willing to sell me his Epiphone SG Gothic for £60. One minor problem is that he tried replacing pickups at one point and screwed up the electronics of the guitar although i think it's easily fixed.

If i do buy his guitar i was thinking of buying EMG's 81's and 85's. Is there already a space where i can place the battery that will power the pickups or will i have cut one myself?

Try and give me other ideas of pickups too and your opinions.

I usually play metalcore such as As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red and Protest the Hero.

Thanks guys.

TL;DR Need new pickups, give me some idea's.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Nov 23, 2009,
Can no one be of assistance?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
You can open up one of the back panels on it and see if there is going to be room for it. Why do they have to be EMG's and what is your amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I asked for you guys to suggest me other pickups too:P

Currently own a Line 6 Spider II altough im getting a peavy 6505 head and either a mesa dual rectifier 2x12 cab or an orange 2x12 cab for xmas.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Hm. Okay well in that case, you won't need the actives to get more preamp gain if you are getting a 6505. Why not fix the wiring and see how you like it? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Goth-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=517232 According to this the Goth SG has AlNiCo 5 pickups, which aren't half bad.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'v heard the pickups before and wasn't fussed on them. I'm willing to pay £200ish for new pickups.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
I asked for you guys to suggest me other pickups too:P

Currently own a Line 6 Spider II altough im getting a peavy 6505 head and either a mesa dual rectifier 2x12 cab or an orange 2x12 cab for xmas.

Make sure you get the amp before you get the pickups. If you get stuck with your Spider then a pickup swap won't do jack for you.

If you're going for the staple metalcore tone (very compressed, high gain tone) then EMG's would be a key element in achieving that tone. If you're looking for something original then you need to look elsewhere because you won't achieve anything other than that staple tone with EMG's and a 6505 (seeing as those are the pickups and the amp that 99% of the metalcore world uses).

Lastly, PTH really isn't metalcore - I'd classify them as progressive rock before I called them metalcore.
Well you seem pretty set on EMG's, but in my humble opinion I would wait til you get the 6505 then see if you want to switch the pickups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Well you seem pretty set on EMG's, but in my humble opinion I would wait til you get the 6505 then see if you want to switch the pickups.

Not really, it's just because i already own ones on my LTD. I'v heard good things about SD Blackouts.

There any other pickups that could fit my needs?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal