My band wants do a lot of covers to get a following, but I want to focus more on writing, because we all write some pretty good shit, but they say that we should do covers first to get a following, then play originals, am I just crazy, or what?
having "cover followers" wont make them like ur original music, i think its good to play covers to practice, to learn how to play live, and possibly to expand ur writing, but i think in the end its more important to play ur own music... i feel cover bands r just there to entertain people....

Originally Posted by anonymus
I voted "evolutionism", though. Cuz you know... it's sciencey.

Originally Posted by anonymus
We were all created by God...
As Monkeys...
Then evolved.
End Debate.
Depends on where you play. If you play at a bar or restaurant, a higher cover-to-original ratio is generally better. Most people there see the music as secondary, more a part of the atmosphere of the place. But if you play at a club or someplace where music is more the focus of the night rather than the food, mixing in a few good covers with your originals is always entertaining. Changing the song around a bit is always good, since people did come to see your music, not a tribute band.
If all you play is covers, and people know you as a cover band, then you suddenly start playing all originals, people are going to be surprised, and most likely pissed. They came to see covers, not some bands originals.
Quote by qotsa1998
Depends on where you play. If you play at a bar or restaurant, a higher cover-to-original ratio is generally better. Most people there see the music as secondary, more a part of the atmosphere of the place. But if you play at a club or someplace where music is more the focus of the night rather than the food, mixing in a few good covers with your originals is always entertaining. Changing the song around a bit is always good, since people did come to see your music, not a tribute band.

I agree with this, but when you are first starting out it is good to play some covers. You should do a mix of both. I for one like to hear a band do a good cover.
Your band should either play covers or originals. An original band can stick a few covers in here and there (not many), but if your band plays mostly covers, it should be all covers.

Thats because when you're booking gigs the promoter/venue manager will ask whether you are a cover band or an originals band. Nobody wants half/half.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Your band should either play covers or originals. An original band can stick a few covers in here and there (not many), but if your band plays mostly covers, it should be all covers.

Thats because when you're booking gigs the promoter/venue manager will ask whether you are a cover band or an originals band. Nobody wants half/half.

Lots and lots of cover bands work about one original into each set of the night. That's not half/half by a long shot, but It is super common, especially in genre specific cover bands.

I personally think it's a foolish maneuver if you really want to turn it into an all original band down the line. But if you want to be in a busy band that can make a little cash and build a larger fan base than most originals bands, and still get a handful of originals out to people, then it's a fine idea. You won't be pushing original material like an original band, but you could still sell a few cds, or even use it as a vehicle to promote a "side project" that does originals.
The general public is pretty dumb when it comes to music. They respond involuntarily at a primal level to music they already have heard and know. The average Joe partier would have to use his brains and listen actively to originals before he can enjoy them.

So do you want to work hard to build a following or to you want to take advantage of the years and years of brainwashing by radio stations and record companies and work more often and get paid?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Lots and lots of cover bands work about one original into each set of the night. That's not half/half by a long shot, but It is super common, especially in genre specific cover bands.

I personally think it's a foolish maneuver if you really want to turn it into an all original band down the line. But if you want to be in a busy band that can make a little cash and build a larger fan base than most originals bands, and still get a handful of originals out to people, then it's a fine idea. You won't be pushing original material like an original band, but you could still sell a few cds, or even use it as a vehicle to promote a "side project" that does originals.

Although this may be true, I've never encountered it in real life. I have never bought a cover band's cd (what's the point?) nor followed a cover band on their path to originals.

That doesn't mean that I have some loyalty to certain cover bands - some are absolutely fantastic, but I'd hire them for my wedding or corporate party on the condition they played music that everyone knew and enjoyed, rather than giving them a ticket to artistic freedom for the night.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud