Hey everybody, I have my Berklee audition scheduled for December 12th, and I'm sort of nervous since it is my number 1 school (it's a perfect distance since I live in Rhode Island). I chose to audition with my own rendition of Spain by Chick Corea. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIcAdTbMbM)

I am auditioning on guitar, and I am aware of the small percentage of guitarists accepted. However, I'm applying with the intent of pursuing a music production major. I'm just wondering if anyone has any pointers, where i can find/if i should use a backing track, etc. I've been doing my research, but I just need some input, seeing that I want to be 100% sure that I am prepared.

Thanks!
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
i can't say i have a direct experience of it, but one of my buds has told me he know a guy who got into Berklee who was good, and he said that i would of got in for whatever i want. The reason i say this is not to be a pompous ass who thinks he is perfect in playing like satch or paul waggoner, or whoever you worship (i really don't think i'm that great honestly, I can play some technical metal but i don't have any ego since there is always someone better out there), but to put into perspective that you don't have to be a god in technical ability to get in. Music is more about emotion than pure shredding anyways, which you seem to understand based on your song choice.

I.E you should be proficient and confident in your playing. Sure technical things like sweep picking or paul gilbertesque string skips at high speeds will wow, but it seems they look more for musicians than pure shredders. You'll also need some understanding of music theory/reading music.

Keep in mind though that the performance part's value for admission will vary depending on what your going to do, so if your more focussed on production they probably won't put as much emphasis on your playing abilities. Good luck

EDIT: wasn't calling them pompous, i just typed that wrong. Just saying there great players
Last edited by firebird103 at Nov 23, 2009,
you may not neccesarily have your audition weighed against performance majors, but you are expected to be good and are competeting with some (and music therapy, and music education and flim scoring etc) majors for x amount of guitar spots and Music Production and Engineering is one of their more competetive majors (though you don't really declare it until your second year or later I've heard, after several prerequisites, a math test and a technology test IIRC). For your audition be prepared to improvise on your selection (as it is a jazz tune), a blues or standard, do basic to complex call and response excersizes (melodically on your instrument, rhythmic clapping and ive heard sometimes singing, but that may only be for drummers/vocalists) and sightread (again basic to complex).
Also, the way Berklee works majors (IIRC) is like a cross between a conservatory (where you audition into a major) and an academic college (where you may go in declared, but you dont really start your major until your second or third year). At Berklee, you enter with a specific major declared, and you may take one or two classes in that, but you will be mostly getting through your music core and liberal arts core your first year or two, so they allocate spots based on instrument, and after a semester or four you declare (and take any prereq's/tests/auditions etc) and start your major. THis is based on what I think they told me when I auditioned/did research about Berklee last year so you may want to check with others to corraborate it.
Quote by SideshowRaven24
Hey everybody, I have my Berklee audition scheduled for December 12th, and I'm sort of nervous since it is my number 1 school (it's a perfect distance since I live in Rhode Island). I chose to audition with my own rendition of Spain by Chick Corea. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIcAdTbMbM)

Whoa, you're amazing
Quote by The Horror!
Whoa, you're amazing

haha whoops! that's not me playing on the video, i'm just showing the song. My mistake. Thank you so much for your responses though guys, seriously!
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
If you do choose to, please use a different tone from the one in the video.

Using a clearer, less distorted tone will show off your skills at accentuation. Also, remember, one of the most impressive things about a musician is his or her skill at timing. Make every single second count, nothing in there should be you just resting, this isn't a jam, it's a composition.
Make every single second count, nothing in there should be you just resting, this isn't a jam, it's a composition.

actually spain is both. for a jazz song it has alot of coposed parts, but there is also supposed to be improvisation, and two auditioners who know jazz (most at berklee do) will not appreciate over (or under) playing. Let your notes breathe and don't be too show offy, the melody is technical enough that you do not need to shred up the solos (unless that is your personal style). But I'm sure the commitee would enjoy a tasteful yet still sophisticated solo then wanking with no pauses.
Quote by Plexi81
If you do choose to, please use a different tone from the one in the video.

Using a clearer, less distorted tone will show off your skills at accentuation. Also, remember, one of the most impressive things about a musician is his or her skill at timing. Make every single second count, nothing in there should be you just resting, this isn't a jam, it's a composition.

Rests can often add alot to music. Sure he doesn't want to have multiple bars worth of rests, but some smaller ones work wonderfully to create varied phrasing.