Well, with Christmas around the corner, I've decided to splurge a little bit and find myself a new amp. I play at bedroom levels about 50% of the time with the other 50% spent jamming with friends. I also hope to gig in the future. I play a little bit of everything, but I'm more concerned with getting nice tones for Metal/Rock/Punk. I'm aiming for distortion along the lines of Opeth, Chimaira, Megadeth, Death, Emperor, Dethklok, Alice in Chains, and AC/DC. In other words, I'd like to be able to go from the lower gain of AC/DC to the highergain territory of black metal bands. Cleans need to be decent. Would prefer if a pedal was not needed to 'tighten' up the amp or to make it sound its best. The fewer the pedals, the better. My price range is going to be somewhere between $500-$1000. I would prefer to go for a lower priced option for the sake of having some money left to buy gifts for friends and family in case my next couple of pay checks are less than stellar (Oh the woes of being a teen and working in the food business).

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
the marshall ma should be out in december and would be worth a look and the combo version should fit into your price range and do what you want
Ive been suggesting this amp to a lot of people lately but it has me completely blown away.

The Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. its only 5 watts but its plenty loud.
Quote by CrysisFX
Ive been suggesting this amp to a lot of people lately but it has me completely blown away.

The Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. its only 5 watts but its plenty loud.

I actually just returned one. It wasn't going to be loud enough to get over a drummer and wasn't going to handle the higher gain territory without a pedal.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
I'm in the same boat man, and I was thinking line 6 for myself. I have a crate gx-15 and its just okay, and all the bands that I know in my area use line 6 so I think thats the way to go. Fender amps are great for loudness if thats what your looking for.
Quote by Born A Fool
I actually just returned one. It wasn't going to be loud enough to get over a drummer and wasn't going to handle the higher gain territory without a pedal.

Hmm. maybe you got a bad one? ive heard some sotries of people getting really quiet ones. Buy again maybe you have a loud drummer?

Can be heard over this drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsO1-1TCchA
Quote by CrysisFX
Hmm. maybe you got a bad one? ive heard some sotries of people getting really quiet ones. Buy again maybe you have a loud drummer?

Can be heard over this drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsO1-1TCchA

I own an HT-5 and have for almost 6 months. While it is a great amp, what he said was very true. The HT-5 is NOT a high gain amp as many seem to believe and sounds very vintage voiced. It doesn't suit TS in the slightest.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Yes, I will go used.

Quote by TOMMYB22
I own an HT-5 and have for almost 6 months. While it is a great amp, what he said was very true. The HT-5 is NOT a high gain amp as many seem to believe and sounds very vintage voiced. It doesn't suit TS in the slightest.

It was an excellent amp, and it handled classic rock very well. It also had enough gain to pull off some earlier metal bands, but that was about it. I was sad that I had to return it.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, maybe?

Sometimes I regret recommending them so much.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??