okay so i play guitar but i'm going to get a bass. I want to save up at least around maybe $500 to get a Fender P bass.. but i won't have a amp. can i use my guitar amp for a little while.. I heard you could but not to loud or it will blow it up is that correct? or should i get a certain amp for it?
Think of the volume as a knob that will just change when it blows up.

It is not a a good idea at all, because it will blow up eventually.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

1. Sell guitar amp
2. Buy bass amp
3. Play guitar AND bass through your bass amp
4. Bask in your lovely new deep rich tone
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
damn your right.. why didn't i think of that.. how much you think i can get for a 15 watts line 6 spider III lol... not much right?
Last edited by Curlyboy at Nov 23, 2009,
um.. 5 bucks?

anyways, take flaming bass's advice and save up and get a bass amp, and THEN a bass. Plus, do you really need a 500 dollar p-bass to learn? NO! go buy a used bass from your local store that won't break the bank as much, and use what you have left to get a decent or better yet a good bass amp and then you can upgrade to a better bass, thus better sound.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Buy a used MiM p-bass for $250 and spend the other $250 on an amp.
It's the most common model of bass to show up used ever, if you're in a big city one pops up on craigslist every other day; if you're in a rural area like me, you still see one every week or so.

$250 is a pretty common going price for one with normal wear.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 23, 2009,
eh.. do they clean it if its used? i hate used crap.. cause people can be pretty nasty sometimes..and okay then.. also is an acoustic bass amp good for guitars? like can it handle distortion? anyone know that?

and thanks guys this is a big help.
Last edited by Curlyboy at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Curlyboy
eh.. do they clean it if its used? i hate used crap.. cause people can be pretty nasty sometimes..and okay then.. also is an acoustic bass amp good for guitars? like can it handle distortion? anyone know that?

...well if it's a little nasty you could always drop about $5 and 20 minutes cleaning it yourself instead of spending $250 more on a new model of the same bass
Quote by Curlyboy

It's down to the individual, obviously. If not, you can just clean it, it's not that hard and personally I'd do it anyway.

And no, it'd probably sound utterly shit through it. Get a proper bass amp, not an acoustic one.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
It's down to the individual, obviously. If not, you can just clean it, it's not that hard and personally I'd do it anyway.

And no, it'd probably sound utterly shit through it. Get a proper bass amp, not an acoustic one.

no the brand Acoustic

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B10-10-Watt-1X10-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=501092

or do you guys have better suggestions that's cheap?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
...well if it's a little nasty you could always drop about $5 and 20 minutes cleaning it yourself instead of spending $250 more on a new model of the same bass

Good point.. -_- im just a clean freak with my shit. but you have a good point..
Y'know, if it's a 15 watt Line six, there really isn't any way that playing a bass through it can make it worse.
Breaking it would actually make your rig significantly better.

Congrats on starting bass, you won't regret it.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by Tostitos
Look at Peaveys and the Kustom KBA10

okay will do

and thanks i hope i don't regret it =] can't wait to play some slap bass to korn.