I've been looking around for a while for tweed amp clones that are both cheap and nice sounding, and it has pretty much come down to either Ceritone or Li'l Dawg. are there any other companies i should look into (keeping in mind that Lil Dawg's D-lux is $469)?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Nov 23, 2009,
Look in what Peavey offers in the Tweed amp type of tone. They have a few models that are very good for that kind of tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Look in what Peavey offers in the Tweed amp type of tone. They have a few models that are very good for that kind of tone.

The Classic 30 never really did it for me
any other amps i should look into?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Consider a bassman 59 pedal on the cheap end.

If not, the superchamp XD, while it has it's share of digital quirks, amazingly models fender tweeds, especially blackface, and if you swap out the speaker you can get even better closeness.

It you want something much louder, I'd go for the ceriatone.
Quote by Plexi81

If not, the superchamp XD, while it has it's share of digital quirks, amazingly models fender tweeds, especially blackface, and if you swap out the speaker you can get even better closeness.

i might be wrong but i always thought tweeds and blackfaces were compeletly different, well to my ears anyway.
Quote by joe_k
i might be wrong but i always thought tweeds and blackfaces were compeletly different, well to my ears anyway.

To some there is a huge debate about tweed versus black face tone, but to me that's the same kind of BS debate they have over MIJ vs American or MIM vs American. They are so ridiculously similar and variable that it's irrelevant.

The tweed bassman setting on the champ does not sound like a bassman, but if definitely nails a tweed sound IMO. And very well.
Quote by Jhachey22
The Classic 30 never really did it for me
any other amps i should look into?
Delta Blues maybe?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Plexi81
To some there is a huge debate about tweed versus black face tone, but to me that's the same kind of BS debate they have over MIJ vs American or MIM vs American. They are so ridiculously similar and variable that it's irrelevant.
They're very different both in terms of design and tone. I don't know how you call it a BS debate. Tweeds are just completely different amps altogether. I guess you'd call the difference between a JCM800 and Vintage Modern the same as that of a MIJ vs. American too?

When was the last time you heard a BF amp sound like this?

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/media/mp3/Anthony3.mp3
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by al112987
They're very different both in terms of design and tone. I don't know how you call it a BS debate. Tweeds are just completely different amps altogether. I guess you'd call the difference between a JCM800 and Vintage Modern the same as that of a MIJ vs. American too?

How did I know you'd pop up on this one...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Plexi81

I'd rather get an amp than a pedal, and even thought the Super champ is nice, i'm just looking for a tweed style amp. no modeling or digital fx, just tubes.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by al112987

When was the last time you heard a BF amp sound like this?

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/media/mp3/Anthony3.mp3

Rest assured that does sound beautiful, but srv often gets quite similar things from a total blackface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC71fFdCsbk&feature=related

Admittedly there is some warmth missing there, which could be mended by EQ (the boxy sound in your clip really can't be recreated unless you have a smaller amp).

Though TS, if you're 100 percent set on tweeding it and dislike the classic thirty's replication, as has been said, ceriatone is really your best bet.
I agree that SRV can get a fat, warm lead sound but it's a different kind of lead sound, it's smoother, less grind, less aggressive all around, and he uses a tubescreamer in addition, it's not just a BF cranked full out. When I think a BF cranked full out by itself, I think something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdMf-86Evro

Which is an overdriven twin reverb.

or a smaller BF (in this case a DR)

Skip to 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMlbt37QoU

Not saying that a BF sounds bad or anything, my favorite Fender amp is the BF Super Reverb (and if I wanted that aggressive, gainy grind, I'd just get a Marshall), but they're really nothing like tweeds to my ears.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
I was going to ask Nik at Ceriatone if he had a schematic for a Fender Tweed Champ from the 1950s, those things sound epic.

If you did find the schematic, you could ask Nik to build you one and he would name a price (i don't think it will cost much knowing that the Tweed Champ is a tiny amp)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86GcyHnh_Q

He has the ultra champ, which looks interesting. it has all the features of a blackface Vibro Champ, with an added switch for Tweedy sounds.

hmmm... maybe i'll just get that and solve my university amp problem at the same time.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Nov 24, 2009,