So I played these cheap pos at guitarcenter on Saturday.
And to my surprise they sounded... Well.... Good
And they are a great platform for mods.
What are your thoughts?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I used to have a Blue Voodoo 120 through a Mesa cab, and it sounded awesome. The cleans were really good, and the distortion channel was nice with a Tubescreamer.
i thought the blue voodoo was really good for the price
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
VTM's are essentially a modded JCM800 I'm pretty sure. forsakenazreal has just nabbed one for cheap. shoot him a PM.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The VTM and Blue Voodoo are far from cheap POS amps. Marty Friedman used to use the Blue Voodoo when he was in Megadeth, and the VTM is the predecessor of the Peavey Ultra Plus, which is the XXX's predecessor.

In other words, they're really old and not well known, so therefore they're inexpensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
peavey VTM's are some of the best cheap amps around, imo, and still almost nobody knows about them. i like mine better than i like jcm800s, and it's supposed to be a hot-rodded 800.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Blue Voodoos are seriously underrated amps. IIRC, Billy Gibbons had a hand in the design.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Raijouta
The VTM and Blue Voodoo are far from cheap POS amps. Marty Friedman used to use the Blue Voodoo when he was in Megadeth, and the VTM is the predecessor of the Peavey Ultra Plus, which is the XXX's predecessor.

In other words, they're really old and not well known, so therefore they're inexpensive.

+1

The Blue Voodoo heads are amazing for the money. I've seen a couple on CL lately for $125-$150.
Dude socal has the shittiest deals ever. They're all like 400 around here....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by forsaknazrael
I just nabbed a VTM Fullstack for 300. Amazing deal, just needs a retube. The VTM is REALLY versatile, did you try messing with the tiny DIP switches on the front?

holy crap, $300 for the full stack?! i got my half stack for $400, and i still think that was a great deal. have you tried it loud and clean yet? beautiful. it also has awesome drive, clip in mah profile (excuse the crap playing), and it's also panned hard left on the track "Wishing Well" with my old TSL60 panned hard right. VTM's are killer, and it's the one amp i have that i will never sell.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Nov 23, 2009,
so is the vtm able to do brootz on its own? i was barely able to play the vtm....

the blue voodoo hat sh*t tons of gain when i played it
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i just wanted to get a moderately cheap amp i can mod and work on....

and for it to sound good
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
what is the difference between a vtm and a butcher
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Raijouta
...and the VTM is the predecessor of the Peavey Ultra Plus, which is the XXX's predecessor.

Isn't it a predecessor to the 5150?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Isn't it a predecessor to the 5150?

i'm pretty sure you're right, it wasn't a predecessor to the ultra.

Quote by Holy-Diver
i just wanted to get a moderately cheap amp i can mod and work on....

and for it to sound good

then the VTM is the amp for you.

and i think the butcher is sorta like a 2-channel VTM, but waayyyy more rare if i'm correct

edit: oh, and those guys in the VTM mods lounge on HC know their stuff, so that's a great place to start for modding it.
main rig:

Quote by necrosis1193
Last edited by spiff389 at Nov 24, 2009,