Ok, so I read that article on the front page about Gibson, and I'm entirely confused.

for those of you that didn't read it, just go to UG's homepage and read it.

Whats the deal with Rosewood, and why is it Illegal. With that in mind, why are they making guitars with it if it is.

The article was very brief so I really do not get what the big deal is, except that rosewood is illegal.

Also does this mean that Gibson is gonna get shut down?

So yeah, discuss.

If there is a thread on this already just let me know and I'll delete this.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by Rupert1616
It's only Madagascan Rosewood that is illegal I think.

This.

Have you not realised that the majority of guitars have a rosewood fretboard? I presume this species of rosewood is rare/endangered in Madagascar.

And no, the most Gibson will get is a fine probably. They'll claim ignorance or something.
Quote by nightraven
it's endangered

This. Plants can be protected under the endangered species act just as much as animals can.
Check out my band Disturbed
what if it's recycled Madagascan Rosewood?
I'm determined to use this wood for a fretboard now (if I make a guitar) I like anything that's obsolete.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by StewieSwan
This. Plants can be protected under the endangered species act just as much as animals can.

its the same with clouds
Quote by Twist of fate

"So what's the deal with rosewood?"

damn it, you beat me to it
same exact thing popped in my head
Quote by EnyoAdonai
what if it's recycled Madagascan Rosewood?
I'm determined to use this wood for a fretboard now (if I make a guitar) I like anything that's obsolete.

Well, if any of it is illegal, why would you find legal, recycled versions? WHy not use legal Rosewood?
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by Twist of fate

I have never given out a lulstack before, mostly because I think they are a little lame, but dear god, did I ever lol.

And I don't even know WHY I thought it was that funny!
Quote by crazy8rgood

I have never given out a lulstack before, mostly because I think they are a little lame, but dear god, did I ever lol.

And I don't even know WHY I thought it was that funny!

Now you understand why they exist.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Ya, It could also be with the whole deforestation issue with people cutting down all the trees. So the US would say that is morally wrong and ban anyone in the US from buying it, just like the blood diamonds.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
All exporting of the wood probably won't be illegal- like Koa, it'll probably be a case of heavily monitored felling and exporting- for Koa because it's only found on Hawaii and it's numbers are highly limited by geographical area and the fact it's slow growing. The type of rosewood found in Madagascar is called Palisander, and has been protected since the Madagascan government increased it's protected land from 2 million hectares to 6 million in an attempt to save it's environment. Since a lot of the protected areas fall over the ideal conditions for palisander, more palisander has been protected.

For the Gibson thing though, I would imagine that any illegal palisander would come from before the government ban on palisander logging that was lifted in 2006, since wood needs time to be prepared for use in instruments and these kind of lawsuits and investigations can take years to become formal.
Quote by osXtiger
Now you understand why they exist.

When you think lolstacks are lame, you're pretty much just building up for an epic lol. Then you will use the stack. And you'll pay less than what I paid for my Marshall halfstack
MadRose and Braz are endangered. MadRose can be imported from pre-existing stockpiles with a proper license, and Braz can be found the same way as well as cut from stump wood. East Indian is at least as good as those two, though, and much cheaper.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by Twist of fate
When you think lolstacks are lame, you're pretty much just building up for an epic lol. Then you will use the stack. And you'll pay less than what I paid for my Marshall halfstack

Sounds like a good deal...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Twist of fate

I think this one is more fitting.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.