Hey guys

For my 10,000 word dissertation i have decided i want to do it about the music industry, only problem is, for a dissertation there has to be an argument, what argument could i try and make but still have my dissertation including facts about copyright, record company structures and so on?

cheers
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Something about selling out, and the arguments for and against and why people do it.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Explain how music is better today then it was. Its just angry 13 years who want to feel better than the hoi polloi that argue otherwise.

JacobTheEdit: I have insomnia, thats why every post I have has so many grammatical errors that I have to correct after posting.
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Nov 23, 2009,
Point out all the flaws you can in the current industry standard business model. Bonus points if you offer suggestions and solutions.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Don't bother with the entire selling out nonsense. That's fit for nothing above a secondary school level essay. Try the effect of the internet on record sales- both physical and digital downloads. There, you can actually use quantitative data, as well as qualitative. Try to focus your dissertation though- if you make it too broad, you will lose sight of things and try to fit too much in- this is from somebody who's been through a dissertation before.
if you're coming to the pit for advice on your dissertation, you might as well give up now
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by NakedBassist
if you're coming to the pit for advice on your dissertation, you might as well give up now

if you think about it, that makes no sense

thanks everyone, delerium bassist thats a good idea cheers
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Quote by skatooter
if you think about it, that makes no senses

explain please?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
A further piece of advice- you'll be better off looking at what's called a systematic review - so a review that has some logic behind what papers you reference etc- say, downloads and sales over x number of years, alongside famous court cases and website closures in that period. That way, your hypothesis could be "high profile court cases have led to a significant decrease in illegal downloads over the past 5 years." So you can look at the background first- what is the internet, how it is used to distribute music through both legal and illegal channels, the process of bringing a physical product and a digital download to the market, etc. Then investigate figures around the times of high profile cases, after which you can determine, using maths, what cases caused what response in the legal and illegal markets- so, you could say that whilst a case may have caused illegal downloads to drop significantly, so did legitimate purchases" which could mean that sales were generally slumping.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A further piece of advice- you'll be better off looking at what's called a systematic review - so a review that has some logic behind what papers you reference etc- say, downloads and sales over x number of years, alongside famous court cases and website closures in that period. That way, your hypothesis could be "high profile court cases have led to a significant decrease in illegal downloads over the past 5 years." So you can look at the background first- what is the internet, how it is used to distribute music through both legal and illegal channels, the process of bringing a physical product and a digital download to the market, etc. Then investigate figures around the times of high profile cases, after which you can determine, using maths, what cases caused what response in the legal and illegal markets- so, you could say that whilst a case may have caused illegal downloads to drop significantly, so did legitimate purchases" which could mean that sales were generally slumping.

yeah thats great advice cheers, do you think i could get away with putting the record company structures, copyright amd royalties and so an as a basis before getting to the internet sales and figures or is that too far off the mark?
Quote by NakedBassist

explain please?

many minds are better than one
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Anything relevant should go into your background information, so you can refer to it later in your work. Just don't go overboard with it.

ok great thanks very much for the help
Do not write about anything subjective like idiots above told you (selling out, this music is better than that, etc). Write about topics that are quantitative.

It sounds like you don't really have a clear view of what the industry really is yet. You should read "Everything You Need To Know About The Music Industry" by Donald Passman. This book is widely regarded as the industry's bible. After that, think about topics such as the ethics of today's royalty standards, or emerging market models for music distributions.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ There's nothing wrong with a qualitative dissertation. I know people who did qualitative dissertations in biological science degrees that walked away with firsts. It simply requires a different approach. I will agree that things such as "selling out" etc is a huge no-go though.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Do not write about anything subjective like idiots above told you (selling out, this music is better than that, etc). Write about topics that are quantitative.

It sounds like you don't really have a clear view of what the industry really is yet. You should read "Everything You Need To Know About The Music Industry" by Donald Passman. This book is widely regarded as the industry's bible. After that, think about topics such as the ethics of today's royalty standards, or emerging market models for music distributions.

I have that book in front of me right now, its what im using to gain a better understanding of the music industry to back up what delerium bassist said about the effects of internet sales as well as a few other books
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ There's nothing wrong with a qualitative dissertation. I know people who did qualitative dissertations in biological science degrees that walked away with firsts. It simply requires a different approach.

That's true. What I really meant was to not write about trivial matters that don't pertain to any significant issues, ie teenagers whining about Green Day selling out or whatever.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
This is why...

Hey Mr. Mainstream, Mad Son and Jess is here
Banishing the whack rap crews of yesteryear
And while the rest spit nonsense, infesting your ear
We bring some good to hip hop that's refreshing to hear
The whole bling-bling era has gotten out of control
It's got a hold of these kids and it's rotten their soul
It's like there's just no lower that it could possibly go
But The Prophets feel like we could put a stop to it though
But you see, groups like us tend to get lost in the shuffle
While Mr. Mainstream sits back and watches us struggle
Suffocating, burried underneath the rock and the rubble
Trying to get in the tournament, but we're caught in the bubble
Mr. Mainstream must be out sipping some crys
Eating shellfish, listening to another sales pitch
Another selfish rapper in a plan to get rich
Hire some hot producers and your albums a hit
Your talent ain't shit, just rap about platinum and whips
Hire some bitches that strip for your video clips
And after they play your single till they're annoyed and sick
Collect your money, pull out on your boys and split

Mr. Mainstream, here I am, don't you see me waving my hand?
Why don't you wanna hear my jam? Or sit down and chat so you can hear my plan?
Why you wanna overlook my crew? Are we not big enough thugs and crooks to you?
Oh, it's too big of a risk? Yeah, I see. **** you and the money hungry industry
Hello? yes this is Mrs mainstream, dont call here again
Do it on which is bigger: The hole in Kurt Cobain's head, or Dave Grohl's teeth.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.