I'm looking to get this one for Christmas...

I know these are newer kits, but has anyone had experience with their other kits? Were the neck and body of decent quality?

I figured I'd replace the hardware and the electronics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
From what I've heard, they make pretty decent stuff. But I don't have any experience with them.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by cainmd
i always trust: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Guitar.aspx
i havent tried those ones

Yeah, my parents aren't going to spend $400+ for a few parts.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The kits look nice, but are raw. They need finish sanding and shaping before they can be put together. I was looking at the RR shape kit, but they sold out very fast.
Yeah, I'm planning on replacing the pickups with better ones, and a better quality set of tuners.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah replacing all the hardware on those is an essential. grab some gfs pickups and go to allparts or a like store for tuners, a new bridge, probably some new electronics.

but that looks like it could be a lot of fun
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
Ok, my aunt has ordered this for me.

Suggestions for better hardware?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I bought a Tele kit and was surprised.

Not pleasantly, I expected shocking stock hardware, and it was, so I bought nicer stuff.

The neck to body fit is shit. It was at the wrong angle, so I 'altered' the neck pocket, and it fits now, but it is by no means a quality guitar. It plays pretty damn well and the frets aren't bad, but overall it's a crap neck. Good shape, good frets, no sharp edges, but not the right shape in terms of straightness or relief (no, trust rod could not fix it).

The paulownia sounds great though, the pickups are nice, the other hardware I bought is nice, and it plays and sounds pretty well considering. But expect a lot of work and an average instrument at the end of it.
I figured I'd do chrome; I'm gonna stain it cherry red and tung oil it.
Quote by ljohn
I bought a Tele kit and was surprised.

Not pleasantly, I expected shocking stock hardware, and it was, so I bought nicer stuff.

The neck to body fit is shit. It was at the wrong angle, so I 'altered' the neck pocket, and it fits now, but it is by no means a quality guitar. It plays pretty damn well and the frets aren't bad, but overall it's a crap neck. Good shape, good frets, no sharp edges, but not the right shape in terms of straightness or relief (no, trust rod could not fix it).

The paulownia sounds great though, the pickups are nice, the other hardware I bought is nice, and it plays and sounds pretty well considering. But expect a lot of work and an average instrument at the end of it.

Jay DID say they were fairly low quality, though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 28, 2009,
The GFS pickups are better than the ones in the kit. I would wait to kit gets to you before you order more parts. I would swap the pickups the ones in the kit are MIC crap. I could say get Grover tuners, Tone Pro bridge and tail stop, Switchcraft switch and jack, and brand name pickups, but these would be more than the kit.
It is all about your budget.
Well, I think my Parents would be willing to go up to around $150 total, then I have some money saved up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Oh, also, do you guys think it's possible to fit a full pickguard to this guitar?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You'd probably have to have one custom made to fit it. Due to they location of the neck because it's a bolt on. One from an Epiphone G310 might fit. Here's a link so you can check it out. I don't know where you could get just an Epiphone pickguard though. Maybe ebay.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 29, 2009,
Brian it's not a bolt on, it's a set neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
True - I think I'll salvage the PG from my G310.
I do prefer having it a bit further back though, as I like the look of the TOM on the PG.
I emailed Jay asking where the neck meets the body, 'cause that's the big factor.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 29, 2009,
OK, no response yet.

Judging by the picture though, it joins around the 19th fret.
Would that work, or will I have to modify a pickguard I get?

I'm thinking this pickguard: http://www.allparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PG-9803-033&CartID=1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden