Page 1 of 2
I'm 13 and I really want to start a band. I mean REALLY. I play bass. I've put up ads for over a year now. It seems like the only genres of music in my town are heavy metal or rap. I like both to some extent, but really, no one respects punk. I'm the only teen in my town that likes it. My favorite bands are Green Day, Rancid, The Casualties, Minor Threat, Sublime, and The Clash. None of that powerpop garbage. WHY CAN'T SOME PEOPLE LIKE PUNK!!! I want some people to like it, so I can talk about it and jam with other people. But i dont want it become popular, you know?
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
Last edited by Punx Rox at Nov 23, 2009,
pretty good choice of bands... I'm more into the sublime side of those. It should be easy to find someone that likes green day at least. I bet people like those bands, they just might not play instruments.
because every band you mentioned is pop punk, and even real punk is garbage, so ....yeah
Quote by Sandor138
because every band you mentioned is pop punk, and even real punk is garbage, so ....yeah

Really? Please do tell me how Minor Threat, The Casualties, Rancid, and Sublime are pop punk. Sorry, but thats ska punk and hardcore punk.

Nope, punk doesnt suck.

EDIT: Reported for flaming.
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
Last edited by Punx Rox at Nov 23, 2009,
listen to some real music kid
When I was young
I thought I had my own key
I knew exactly what I wanted to be
Now I'm sure
You've boarded up every door
Why not hang out at your local punk/hardcore/ska venue? As a 13-year old Blink-182 fan, you'll fit in perfectly.
Way to spam the guys thread, everyone of you asshats are reported, take your bile to the pit we don't need your crap here.

Edit:
In response to the actual subject, i was in the same boat at your age man, i'm from a real small town where its hard to find anyone into rock let alone punk, it wasn't till i got to college i met a more varied group of people who were into different genres, the only advice i can give is hit up a few all ages shows and try to get talking with some people or check around for local punk bands on myspace, add them and strike up a convo.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Last edited by alkalineweeman at Nov 23, 2009,
What is real music anymore?

Please don't say "AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, classic rock Guitar Hero music ALL THE WAY MAN I AM SO ROCK N ROLL DUDE!!!!"
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
Quote by alkalineweeman
Way to spam the guys thread, everyone of you asshats are reported, take your bile to the pit we don't need your crap here.

Thanks.
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
Kid I suggest you grow up a little before you start talking like you know everything. Punk is not that good.
Quote by Punx Rox
What is real music anymore?

Please don't say "AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, classic rock Guitar Hero music ALL THE WAY MAN I AM SO ROCK N ROLL DUDE!!!!"

skynard
Quote by werty22
skynard

Your a joke. Leave.
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
Punk, hardcore.. Your friends like metal? Start to play hardcore punk, they can't really see the diffrence to trash metal !
Seriously, just because you're the only kid in your middle school who likes that kind of stuff doesn't mean you're the only "teen" in your town who "respects punk/hardcore/ska."
Oh my god I am losing brain cells

You sound like I did when I was 13 and all gettin' into "punk." So in four years you're gonna be awesome!
If only summer rain would fall, on the houses and the boulevards
And the sidewalk bagatelles, it's like a dream
With the roar of cars and the lulling of the cafe bars,
The sweetly sleeping sweeping of the Seine...
Not trying to bash your musical tastes but a part of this is that a lot of guys who already play guitar/drums/etc are "past" playing punk, especially guitar wise. You'd probably do best just to get a couple of your friends to give playing a shot. A few powerchords later you guys could be having a good time, and it'd be with your friends so it'd be a good experience overall. I mean, I'm betting you have friends who like the same kind of music but just don't play any instruments. Just my $.02
Quote by Punx Rox
Your a joke. Leave.

Have you seen School of Rock? You remind me of the annoying little girl who said "You're a joke. You're the worst teacher I've ever had!"
Quote by xbitmetal
Punk, hardcore.. Your friends like metal? Start to play hardcore punk, they can't really see the diffrence to trash metal !

Yeah, I certainly can't tell the difference between Minor Threat and Slayer.
Don't stop listening to Rancid. Start working just to buy a hollowbody, paint the shit out of it and write 4 chord songwriterish songs about busses and life on the road. You'll be cool like my kreww in no time.
just because you like punk doesn't mean its good music..
When I was young
Now I'm sure
Quote by ian5673
listen to some real music kid

And what, exactly, is real music? The fact that you call him 'kid', I'll just assume you're...let's say...60? If not, then act your age. If you are, then no doubt you listened to classic rock growing up. Did you ever figure out that all the adults hated that 'devilish rock and roll', and the same before that with jazz, and blues, and 20th century, and romanticism, and classicism, etc etc? If you aren't 60, let's assume you're 20, or 30. We'll also assume you're a metal-head. I can easily apply metal to my above statements.
Punk is a form of expression. Yeah, it might be through simple power chords and catchy vocals, but it's still expression. yeah, it might be the cliche'd "no one understands me", but that's punk. It's expression through sounds. And that is music. To call it 'fake music' is just a dickhead thing to say.

TS, one good way is to slowly bring your friends into the punk scene. My friend never liked Buckethead (He's too avant-garde for my friend), but by playing his melodious works and his Paul Gilbert-eque shred, I've gotten my friend to like quite a bit of Buckethead. I'd suggest doing the same. Maybe do some of the older harder punk, like Black Flag. If they say that's gay or too simple, tell them to listen to Metallica and then tell you that that (Metallica) is 'complex' in any way.

Good luck.
Quote by werty22
Have you seen School of Rock? You remind me of the annoying little girl who said "You're a joke. You're the worst teacher I've ever had!"

I LOVE SCHOOL OF ROCK

I used to have Dewey Finn's song about the legend of the rent memorized. I was hardcore.
Wow, I can see the great community we have here of haters and people who really don't respect each other much at all, or each others' musical tastes, as eclectic as they may be.

to TS: it might be hard to find the people you'll feel like you fit in with, but you gotta keep looking everywhere you can. Obviously, looking for musicians in your school, continuing to advertise, and hitting up venues are some of the best kernels of advice.
Can't tell ya much else, but keep at it, and remember not to listen too closely to everyone around here, there's a lot of reason to like punk and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
punk is for fagz wit no talent all they can play iz pwercords listen to reel bands with talent like metallica not pussy garbage liek the ramones now i wanna be sedated moar liek now i wanna be segayted lol amirite
Quote by Baby Joel
And what, exactly, is real music? The fact that you call him 'kid', I'll just assume you're...let's say...60? .

damn, i didnt mean to upset you. and no im not gonna read those lenghty paragraphs you took time out of your precious day to attempt to bash me.

theres no such thing as real music anyways.

What we don't see
Well it can't be real
What we don't touch we cannot feel
When I was young
Now I'm sure
Quote by ian5673
damn, i didnt mean to upset you. and no im not gonna read those lenghty paragraphs you took time out of your precious day to attempt to bash me.
theres no such thing as real music anyways.

I didn't attempt to bash you. That wasn't in any way my goal or purpose. Really, you have no just cause to assume that I was 'bashing' you, particularly because you didn't even read the 'paragraphs'.
What I was saying is that music is different to different people. I can't stand listening to Turkish native music (Particularly with the saz instrument), but it's music. It's how they find ways to express themselves. I can't stand punk (Which is ironic, considering I'm posting here), but I still accept it as music.

How can there not be 'real music' now? Music is as real as it ever was. Please, humor me, and justify your statement.
I have had Winter Wonderland and White Christmas stuck in my head for DAYS
Quote by werty22
I already told you.

I wasn't asking you. But now that you brought it up, I can't find a post by you that actually explains that there is no real music.
Page 1 of 2