My first guitar was a cheap epiphone les paul jr and it plays like shit lol. However I've covered it in stickers and love the way it looks and the weight of it is great so I was thinking of fixing it up to make it playable. I figured I could order a neck from warmoth (jackson headstock ) and replace the pickup and maybe the bridge. Would this work or is it just a waste of money? I love the way it looks and would love to be able to play it. And if this would work what are the specs for the epi les paul jr neck? (ie fretboard radius, nut width, etc)
The Jackson neck may not fit. As for the measurements, you have one, go measure it. Re fret it, better tuners, maybe get a seymore Duncan in the bridge. Listing what kinds of music you play would help us choose an ideal pickup or you a lot.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by Robbo1422
The Jackson neck may not fit. As for the measurements, you have one, go measure it. Re fret it, better tuners, maybe get a seymore Duncan in the bridge. Listing what kinds of music you play would help us choose an ideal pickup or you a lot.

i dont need help picking a pup, I already know alot about them. And the neck is from warmoth and it just has a jackson headstock so I believe it would work

edit: i checked the website and I can get the neck in a scale that works

double edit: Also, would a squier affinty strat neck work with my body? I'm guessing it wouldn't but just though I'd ask
Last edited by phoenix_crush at Nov 23, 2009,
Why don't you try setting it up or have someone do it? I really haven't seen a guitar that couldn't atleast be setup to play decent unless it was broken.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Quote by Steve-Mo
Why don't you try setting it up or have someone do it? I really haven't seen a guitar that couldn't atleast be setup to play decent unless it was broken.

I'll try that but I can't imagine it'll make a huge difference. I mean it's a hundred dollar guitar new, and it came with an amp
Probably should. Plus, it's not like you'll get the neck and BAM! it plays amazing. You'll have to get it setup with that one too.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Quote by Steve-Mo
Probably should. Plus, it's not like you'll get the neck and BAM! it plays amazing. You'll have to get it setup with that one too.

Yeah, but hopefully a new neck would feel better, but I'll try getting it set-up first, thanks
just get a re fret
with some nice tall frets and some
adjust the truss rod and the bridge and BAM
one good guitar
Quote by forsaknazrael
AGAIN, A new neck from Warmoth will not fit on there.

I understand that, but I was explaining why I wanted a new neck to begin with.
thread hi-jack, sorry.

Another Q on Epi LP Jr's. Would it be ok if it put a full TOM on instead of wraparound, and routed out the neck pocket so the fingerboard sat flat on the body instead of 1/4" off from the body?
DIO FOREVER
Quote by forsaknazrael
No one will make a neck that fits. Not unless you build it yourself. Which is just silly.

why exactly are you on the GB&C? if you think that building something is silly...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.

first off, I mean it's silly to a neck for a guitar that's crappy in the first place, when building a neck is likely to vistas much, if not more (if he doesn't have the proper tools) than a new guitar.

Second, I don't think it's your place to say I don't belong in GB+C when you just joined this year, and I've been active in the GB+C for almost 4 years.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Just get a new guitar. Not worth it, or even feasible. No one will make a neck that fits. Not unless you build it yourself. Which is just silly.

WRONG.

i bought a new neck off of ebay for my Jr. look up "ROSEWOOD FITS GIBSON" on ebay and theyre about $90. comes with the gibson scroll headstock (even tho its not pictured that way) and all you have to do is cut a little bit of wood off the end of the heel so theres about a frets length of fretboard overhang on it.

Also to those of you who think plywood guitars are shit...youre wrong. the people in my band play deans, epi's, jacksons etc and theyre all amazed at how loud my jr. is acousticaly. just cause its plywood doesnt mean its shit. i have an EMG in mine. Upgraded the bridge, nut, that ebay neck i spoke of, Sperzel tuners, etc and its a very nice sounding/playing/feeling guitar.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by sk8freakrt
WRONG.

i bought a new neck off of ebay for my Jr. look up "ROSEWOOD FITS GIBSON" on ebay and theyre about $90. comes with the gibson scroll headstock (even tho its not pictured that way) and all you have to do is cut a little bit of wood off the end of the heel so theres about a frets length of fretboard overhang on it.

So in other words, it's a neck that doesn't fit, and you have cut it and screw up the scale length and intonation.....

And for the money you paid upgrading that LP junior... You could have bought a nice Epi LP Junior. For less.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Just get a new guitar. Not worth it, or even feasible. No one will make a neck that fits. Not unless you build it yourself. Which is just silly.

dont warmoth do custom spec necks?

i would personally paint it orange get a normal Gibby lookalike neck and a black scratchplate with a beefy sounding P-90 in the neck or a good single coil for punk in it .Thats me tho.

Could always see a local luthier bout building a neck but it would be expensive i think
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Warmoth makes custom necks but uses the same neck pocket specs. The epi neck pocket is very different than a fender. I have seen a few necks here and there that are supposed to fit on a epi bolt on.

It is possible to "fix" the playability of a epi neck, vs buying another neck of questionable quality. The necks I did see were pretty cheap so hard to expect em to be that much better than epi. I leveled the fretboard on mine then refretted it. Made a world of difference in how it plays.
Quote by forsaknazrael
So in other words, it's a neck that doesn't fit, and you have cut it and screw up the scale length and intonation.....

umm...no..i cut part of the heel off (leaving the fretboard above it) so the scale length and intonation would be correct. an LP Jr has a 24.75" scale length with about one fret of fretboard overhang. the neck i got was 24.75" scale lenght but had a square heel that was even with the end of the fretboard. i cut that one-frets-length part of the heel off so it would be right.

so
at your good sir.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.