So I am getting ridiculous amounts of noise from my amp, especially at higher volumes, and will have to switch amps if I can't get this worked out.

This is my current setup:

Guitar: Ibanez s470 w/Emg 81/85=>

Boss CS3 compressor=>Vox 847 Wah=> Boss 7 band EQ=>Fulltone OCD=>ISP Decimator=>

Amp: Peavey 5150 retubed with JJs a month ago

Loop: DOD chorus FX65 => Boss DD-7 Delay

Any ideas?
Quote by denied
Both? Theres a lot of hiss, but it gets worse when i engage ocd/eq/comp on rhythm, but the lead channel is just brutal I tried bypassing the effects and it got better. better cables between the pedals?

Remove the pedals out of your loop so you only have guitar, cable, and amp
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Well amp hiss is generally associated with large amounts of gain. This can usually be alleviated by running a suppressor through your FX loop.

As for the feedback, you probably have too much gain or too much high end. Try backing off the gain a bit and turning your highs down slightly.
Guys, I'm having difficulties setting up my effects loop. here's my set up. Direct line: Guitar - Crybaby Wah - MXR dyna comp - Ibanez ts-808 - amp. i use the distortion on my amp. effects loop: digitech digidelay, MXR phase 90. I need to place my MXR smartgate in there somewhere, but i can't find any position that sounds half-decent. also, when i put my phaser in the effects loop, it builds onto the volume of my amp and produces ear-piercing swells. can you help me out with these problems?

thanks in advance.
Gibson Faded SG
Tom Delonge ES-333
Tom Delonge Strat
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Peavey Valveking 212
Crybaby Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS808
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech Death Metal
Digitech Digidelay
MXR Phase 90
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AVA(plus)44=182
Guys, I'm having difficulties setting up my effects loop. here's my set up. Direct line: Guitar - Crybaby Wah - MXR dyna comp - Ibanez ts-808 - amp. i use the distortion on my amp. effects loop: digitech digidelay, MXR phase 90. I need to place my MXR smartgate in there somewhere, but i can't find any position that sounds half-decent. also, when i put my phaser in the effects loop, it builds onto the volume of my amp and produces ear-piercing swells. can you help me out with these problems?

thanks in advance.

Go make your own thread. Don't need to thread jack when the problem hasn't been solved.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
If you get another iSP Decimator and run one in the front and one in the loop your amp should be dead silent.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by AVA(plus)44=182

thanks in advance.

Do the R28 c11 and c12 mod to your phase 90 it mellow's it out and it sounds fantastic!!

http://lycidas512.blogspot.com/2009/01/mxr-phase-90-mod.html
Quote by denied
Would the ISP Decimator G string allow me to silence both the input and loop at once?

As far as I'm concerned, only one.
But then again, if you had it in your chain before the amp, it might do something to the loop? or at the end of the loop, seeing as your signal goes through the loop anyways.
..I was watching my death.
Maybe try another guitar if you can. Most of the time you get too much feedback out the blue it's bad wiring in the guitar. Even though EMG's are suppossed to be quite, I've had a set that started to make a lot of noise.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
So I've been trying everything, separated my power and instrument cables and have gotten the hiss down on the amp to tolerable levels. But I'm still getting a lot of noise when the guitar volume is off, even with the decimator on. By pulling each pedal out, I've found that most of my noise is coming from the compressor and EQ. Do I need to upgrade to better pedals?

Please give me any suggestions you can, my whole board is basically useless at this point..
Yeah the boss EQ has been known to be pretty noisy.
I suppose the MXR 10-band EQ would be the best upgrade unless you're willing to spend alot (in which case get an Empress ParaEQ).
Also to answer a previous question, yes the purpose of the G-string Decimator is to stick it in both your loop and input at the same time.

Really though, having two decimators is about the same price and gives you more control (having two knobs instead of one on the G-string). It could end up costing 10 bucks more and it'll take up alot of pedalboard space though.
Weigh out the options I suppose.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I'm using a powerbox that supplies 5 different lines. I dont remember the brand or model, and want to open it up to see if they are isolated. I guess that would be the logical thing to upgrade.

Edit: Would the T-Rex fuel tank junior be a good upgrade? Does it have isolated outputs?
Last edited by denied at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by denied
I'm using a powerbox that supplies 5 different lines. I dont remember the brand or model, and want to open it up to see if they are isolated. I guess that would be the logical thing to upgrade.

Edit: Would the T-Rex fuel tank junior be a good upgrade? Does it have isolated outputs?

The T-rex junior would be great, just keep in mind that it only powers a maximum of 600mw or something to that extent.
EDIT: The one you have right now might be just fine though.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000