Oh My God, "game makers should work harder to remind players about real world limits"

Page 1 of 3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8373794.stm

Seriously man, what the ****. We know that games aren't supposed to reflect real life limits, and the only games I've played for more than an hour a week this whole year have been modern warfare 2 and mass effect....I'm actually shocked that this story got posted.

Read the story. You'll cringe.
Now where's Jack Thompson when you need him.

Oh yeah, disbarred for being a fucking shit lawyer and neo-con nutcase.

That's settled then.
It's a game. Not the developer's fault if someone forgets what the differences between fantasy and reality are.

I haven't finished the article yet, but I would bet my bottom dollar that they are going to talk about the airport level in MW2.
We can just kill them anyway though right?
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
So does this mean I really CAN'T use the Force like Starkiller in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed?
Seems like whoever wrote the article can see how they've misunderstood things as well.
Nope, no sig here.
Cast Fireball on BBC.

Aaaargh! It has no effect!
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Yea, this is totally necessary, because I keep forgetting that IRL, I can't just hit F5, say whatever dumb sh*t comes into my head, and reload and start over...
Even though I don't mind violence in videogames, I still find the Modern Warfare 2 airport thing to be in extremely poor taste.
Quote by Andrew C. S.
Even though I don't mind violence in videogames, I still find the Modern Warfare 2 airport thing to be in extremely poor taste.

That's the point. You're supposed to react to it.
Quote by Andrew C. S.

Agreed tbh...coulda been a cut scene...was pretty emotional when the *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* guy got shot, cos like, the last thing he did was kill a bunch of innocent people...

Lol...this thread failed...but tbh it was that or a 'l0l 1 h4d g0t g1rls nd bj 0lolool' thread
This is another step in the BBC's mission to crush all dreams. Sad.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
So you can't escape the police by carrying a controller around and pressing R1 R2 L1 L2 Up Down Up Down?

GTA HAS LIED TO ME!!! I'M GOING ON A TANK-RAMPAGE RAWR!!!
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians

Oh No! That's never been in a video game before!

It's a video game - a GAME.

I guess they should encourage little children to stop playing "ring around the rosey" so it doesn't affect their self esteem when they "all fall down."
I'm Back.

[STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS]

When Autumn comes, it doesn't ask
It just walks in where it left you last
You never know when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart
Quote by webbtje
That's the point. You're supposed to react to it.

True, but I think the developers want me to react to it not in a "shocked" fashion, but more in a way that I'll morally evaluate what I just participated in. Hopefully, I'll feel empathetic and realize that terrorism & total war is wrong, which is exactly how I did feel.
I think we should all get a grenade warning indicator in real life then.
Dumbasses.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Games Tested:

Metal Gear Solid

a game where you play as a clone fighting a bunch of waking robots, fat bombmakers on skates, a vampire, a russian gunslinger who has a split personality becuase of an arm transplant, a guy who likes bees, an old dude with a parrot, a cyborg ninja, and a guy who likes to fondle men.....
where else am i going to get the chance to kill hundreds of innocent Russians
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
"Thus," said the report, "the line between the virtual and real experience becomes blurred and the game becomes a simulation of real life situations..."

That's the whole point of a video game, is it not? What's their point?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Last edited by PhillyHendrix at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Andrew C. S.

I found it pretty interesting to be in the eyes of a "terrorist", with motives that are far beyond religious interpretation, and found it an interesting twist in the plot, and a VERY plausible action that could lead to a very plausible war in that game.

EDIT:
Games Tested:
True Crime Streets of L.A.
Last edited by CaptinSpalldin at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Andrew C. S.
True, but I think the developers want me to react to it not in a "shocked" fashion, but more in a way that I'll morally evaluate what I just participated in. Hopefully, I'll feel empathetic and realize that terrorism & total war is wrong, which is exactly how I did feel.

Well......there you go then. Mission accomplished, innit? Not like the game mechanics change in that particular mission. The pixellated soldiers running towards you just turned into pixellated civilians retreating.

So what do these people want in regards to a "real" game? Being a UN soldier in some African warzone, being shot at by militants and waiting an hour until you're permitted by superiors to return fire?

I think it's a little insulting to the collective gaming communities' intelligence that others who haven't picked up a controller in their life think we will all take it the wrong way. Or they're pandering to the .01% who MAY take it the wrong way.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Von.
Well......there you go then. Mission accomplished, innit? Not like the game mechanics change in that particular mission. The pixellated soldiers running towards you just turned into pixellated civilians retreating.

So what do these people want in regards to a "real" game? Being a UN soldier in some African warzone, being shot at by militants and waiting an hour until you're permitted by superiors to return fire?

I think it's a little insulting to the collective gaming communities' intelligence that others who haven't picked up a controller in their life think we will all take it the wrong way. Or they're pandering to the .01% who MAY take it the wrong way.

The sad part is the Geneva convention has been ignored/trampled underfoot for decades before any games that carry this level of sophistication were developed. I see no reason to jump on the "OMG were going to get brootal" wagon because of a freakin' video game.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The Freudian concept that applies to dreams can similarly be applied here; Video games are a way for one to overcome the barriers that moral constraints prevent us from doing. A.K.A., killing an enemy of ours has moral implications in real life, but in video games, it may actually be the goal.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by guitarherolol
MW2 is the image in the article and they didn't test it.

"Call of Duty 5"
RIP Tom Searle.
These human rights activists piss me off, every last ****ing one of them, They never do anything to actually further their cause apart from go on retarded marches every now and again, they will never change anything.

****ing ******s.
I don't know why it pisses me off so much, but there is no such thing as Call of Duty 5, it is Call of Duty: Moder Warfare 2 or Call of Duty: World at War.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I once met a young man who had been shot in a shooting that he started. The only comment he made about whether he'd do it again is that he didn't know it hurt that badly to be shot. In video games, some character can be shot 18 times, and then go kill 28 people. It doesn't reflect reality. This simply means that undeveloped minds shouldn't be playing these kinds of games.

It's perfectly OK for an adult to play the games, but young children really shouldn't be exposed to so much violence without repercussions.
Quote by dustyboy316
I don't know why it pisses me off so much, but there is no such thing as Call of Duty 5, it is Call of Duty: Moder Warfare 2 or Call of Duty: World at War.

QFT.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that got annoyed with that.

Surely their credibility must be low, as they can't even get the game title right.
RIP Tom Searle.
Twenty games were scrutinised to see if the conflicts they portrayed and what players can do in the virtual theatres of war were subject to the same limits as in the real world.

i think these people just wanted an excuse to play call of duty instead of work

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Last edited by speedy1330 at Nov 23, 2009,
I'm understanding their point, that maybe some guy will play these games and go out and join the army under all the wrong assumptions, but surely they don't think gamers are that ****ing stupid?

Could you imagine how complicated warfare games would be if all the real world war rules were enforced? I have a hard enough time finishing Splinter Cell, without having to worry about breaking some treaty with a Russian country that was signed in 1920.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Last edited by AstheticsOfHate at Nov 23, 2009,
Page 1 of 3