Before you all shout "blog", I'm posting this in The Pit for a reason. I want to hear your opinions on the matter. Wall of text ahead.

--------------------------

Imagine a young man (or woman) who is giving all he has in pursuit of a goal. He graduates high school with good grades, makes a few friends along the way, but knows that his priorities are his long term goals. He goes to a good university, gets a respectable degree, finds a job. He continues to work with the company for a while, eventually gets promoted to a higher ranking, higher paid position. He is progressing up the financial ladder, but he is still in pursuit of his dream.

One day, he decides it's time. He gathers up all his money, all his lifetime savings, even sells all of his possessions for more money. With all that money he buys...

...a baby's rattle. Now, he sits on the floor of his empty room, shaking the rattle for a few hours.

--------------------------

For some reason, this image crossed my mind the other day, and it provoked an immense emotional response. I'm not sure how to describe it.
Maybe it was pity for the man, who had given up everything he'd been working for for something so insignificant.
Maybe it was shame for his irresponsible move.
Maybe, it could even have been envy. He may have lost a lot, but he is happy now. He has achieved what he wanted, regardless of how strange or futile his dream was.

I don't know why this idea even came up, but I felt I had to share it.

Does anyone else get some strange feeling thinking about the man in the story?

If this is against the rules, I apologise, and I will remove it.
The whole idea of dedicating my life to some long term, pre-meditated goal makes me shudder.

What's the point?
I don't believe there is any rattle in existence that is worth that money. Maybe if you went back in time and stole a rattle from the Czar baby, maybe, but otherwise no.
I think 'shaking the rattle' is a euphemism for masturbation, and he actually just bought a top-of-the-range Fleshlight.
It's fear.

I sometimes imagine myself living in some shitty apartment, alone, working some lame office job that doesn't pay enough, and struggling to get by.

At first I wonder if I could really live like that. After thinking about it, I realize that I never want to live like that.
After accomplishing his monetary goals, he seeks to go back and experience what he missed when leading a life of senseless dedication?
Goodness gracious me!
Quote by thewho65
I don't believe there is any rattle in existence that is worth that money. Maybe if you went back in time and stole a rattle from the Czar baby, maybe, but otherwise no.

Hypothetical rattle is hypothetical.

Besides, maybe he gave the money away. He doesn't need it to be happy. He could have easily been ripped off (by unbelievable proportions) in pursuit of his dream, and gladly paid that much for somethign so small.
Actually this is one of the better threads in the pit.

It (in my eyes) doesn't look like spam at all. It provokes a somewhat constructive discussion in the pit. Whether or not you will get it, is another question.

The feeling in inspires in me is fear, as I have almost given up everything quite recently, and I must now work as hard as possible to get my life back on the rails, but I can only imagine what the feeling will be like once my life gets back on track.

Quote by archangels666
It's fear.

I sometimes imagine myself living in some shitty apartment, alone, working some lame office job that doesn't pay enough, and struggling to get by.

At first I wonder if I could really live like that. After thinking about it, I realize that I never want to live like that.

This is oddly exactly how I feel as well.

Odd.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Nov 23, 2009,
People just use this type of story as an excuse to never do any hardwork in their lives.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Quote by MightyAl
I think 'shaking the rattle' is a euphemism for masturbation, and he actually just bought a top-of-the-range Fleshlight.

Aww dude, I heard those things'll chop your junk off.

Quote by archangels666
It's fear. I sometimes imagine myself living in some shitty apartment, alone, working some lame office job that doesn't pay enough, and struggling to get by. At first I wonder if I could really live like that. After thinking about it, I realize that I never want to live like that.

Sometimes I imagine I'll turn out like some Nick Hornby character; some kind of 30-something hipster. And then I realize that's awesome
Quote by thewho65

Sometimes I imagine I'll turn out like some Nick Hornby character; some kind of 30-something hipster. And then I realize that's awesome

Only if you have a puny penis.
Quote by thewho65

I heard that too when I asked for one for Christmas complete with "Double Dog Dare" furniture attachment.
Goodness gracious me!
I know what you're talking about, but not so much from the story you gave. To me it's almost like a metaphor, because how many people spend their lives working so hard for things they don't need?
We're only strays.
Quote by Bizarro
I heard that too when I asked for one for Christmas complete with "Double Dog Dare" furniture attachment.

There's an app for that?
Quote by RU Experienced?
All human enterprises are futile, prove me wrong.

I got laid last night.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It inspires in me the feeling that man has no knowledge of what he truly wants when he sets his eye on a goal. This man spent his entire life planning towards having a high power job in an important company, that is what he thought would bring him happiness.

Instead (hypothetically I'm taking it) true joy for him is found in the simplest of objects he could have had at any time and probably grew up looking PAST, instead focusing on his goal.

But that train of thought leads me to the concept of misspent youth with is another kettle of fish entirely.

So I'll stick with man's inability to know what it wants
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I am spending my life to the goal of bringing science further and making the world a better place. Wouldn't know what else to do to be honest. I do not recognise your baby rattle fetish though.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I am spending my life to the goal of bringing science further and making the world a better place. Wouldn't know what else to do to be honest. I do not recognise your baby rattle fetish though.

How would that be intrinsically more valuable than the man who works his whole life and finds satisfaction with selling his material goods and purchasing a rattle?
Quote by thewho65
There's an app for that?

i seriously hope not. personally i think that the idea of working a whole life for nothing is abhorrent. go for the rattle in the first place.
Quote by Eddie616
this guy is of epic legend.

it's true.
Quote by RU Experienced?
How would that be intrinsically more valuable than the man who works his whole life and finds satisfaction with selling his material goods and purchasing a rattle?

ow no one really. I didn't disagree with you
I get a kick on being better then others. And by solving problems others cannot, I prove that. It also helps the world in some way buying a rattle does not. After you bought the rattle there is no use for you in this world.

But if you want to get really philosophic about it, one person does not matter in this giant earth/universe of ours. If mankind dies, no one in the entire universe will care. That is how small we are. Everything we do will be forgotten eventually.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Is your question is: Is it worth to dedicate yourself to a long-term goal? This is how I understand your story. That rattle simile confuses the whole idea a bit. Goals are very subjective things. For one becoming a balet dancer may be a worthy aim in life, while for another just an idiotic dream. You get the picture. Anyway, perceiving 'subjectively insignificant goals' as rattles is just... abstract. 'Subjectively' is the key-word here.
Quote: Originally Posted by Neo Evil11

Because we are 'social animals', and we tend to assess things through the whole societies point of view.
Quote by Gh.
Because we are 'social animals', and we tend to assess things through the whole societies point of view.

Not really, I don't care about society. I care about me. And it makes ME feel good to do that stuff. It's all about the puzzle!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Not really, I don't care about society. I care about me. And it makes ME feel good to do that stuff. It's all about the puzzle!

Strange. These are your own words:

It also helps the world in some way buying a rattle does not. After you bought the rattle there is no use for you in this world.
Quote by Gh.
Strange. These are your own words:

yes those are. But the divide between doing something which is productive and not productive is quite clear. Doesn't mean that I care about anyone in my class who fails because they are just too stupid.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
yes those are. But the divide between doing something which is productive and not productive is quite clear. Doesn't mean that I care about anyone in my class who fails because they are just too stupid.

Of course it's clear, at least for us. But you can't exclude your failing class-mates from the society for which you want to be productive.
Ps. You're a bit obsessive with proving being better then others:P.
Quote by Gh.
Of course it's clear, at least for us. But you can't exclude your failing class-mates from the society for which you want to be productive.
Ps. You're a bit obsessive with proving being better then others:P.

Because people who are more stupid, should finally shut up.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Because people who are more stupid, should finally shut up.

Christ, you must had(have?) a nice row with your classmates:P. Imo just treat them as equal human beings. Remeber that there are always people better then you(whatever it is. Maths, sports or playing music.), and you wouldn't like to be treated by them in the way you treat your 'stupid friends'. I hope that I'm just exaggerating by not knowing the whole situation.
Cheers.
Quote by Gh.
Christ, you must had(have?) a nice row with your classmates:P. Imo just treat them as equal human beings. Remeber that there are always people better then you(whatever it is. Maths, sports or playing music.), and you wouldn't like to be treated by them in the way you treat your 'stupid friends'. I hope that I'm just exaggerating by not knowing the whole situation.
Cheers.

I just get pissed off when people ask really stupid questions. I go to a university and there are people who ask at micro-economics: sir, why do you multiply the quantity and the price to calculate to revenue?

I am not english so I might have messed some definitions up, but I think not
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Pagan-Pie
The whole idea of dedicating my life to some long term, pre-meditated goal makes me shudder.

What's the point?

I agree, we're just gonna die anyway, why work your way into some made up society's special ladder rather than enjoy yourself while you're kickin'?

EDIT:
Quote by Neo Evil11
why do you multiply the quantity and the price to calculate to revenue?

I don't have the faintest why you do that, does that make you better than me?
Last edited by st.stephen at Nov 23, 2009,
I just get pissed off when people ask really stupid questions. I go to a university and there are people who ask at micro-economics: sir, why do you multiply the quantity and the price to calculate to revenue?

I am not english so I might have messed some definitions up, but I think not

You didn't messed up anything:P. Just don't condescend towards others, just because they are dumb. They might perceive you as an asshole, and you wouldn't like to, would you?
Quote by st.stephen
I agree, we're just gonna die anyway, why work your way into some made up society's special ladder rather than enjoy yourself while you're kickin'?

EDIT:
I don't have the faintest why you do that, does that make you better than me?

maybe. But when you are studying economics at a university, you might want to know SOME of the basics when you start.

And I don't care what people think of me. I am just annoyed when stuff like this happens. And it does not happen one time. You get 10 of those questions each lesson.

and now I am too bored to continue this conversation xp goodnight gentlemen (I presume)
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I pity the foo'.

In all seriousness, the man spent his entire life striving to achieve the goal of restoring his youth, when all he had to do was stop and enjoy it while it was there. Honestly, it is the fate of most humans.

It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. He would not have had a goal to achieve if he was not trying to achieve the goal in the first place. The goal was there because he was going for it, nothing more.

"I think, therefore I am."

EDIT: To answer your question, I feel pity and remorse for the man, but it's more of a thought-provoking topic than an emotional one.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by RU Experienced?
All human enterprises are futile, prove me wrong.

I agree 100%, in the sense that all human pursuits are meaningless and hence futile. That said, I don't think this fact diminishes the effect such enterprises may have on an individual.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.