I have a Schecter hellraiser and i wonder which of these two amps would be more suited for Tool,Deftones,In Flames?so sort of a alt-metal style.i heard the b-52 had some reliability issues?i want a nice hard distortion sound for drop riffing and i dont know engl is good for that,cuz people tell me its more of a rock amp.what do you think?
The thunder IS more of a rock than a metal amp, but I still like it a lot more than the B52. You're basically comparing a fairly low end metal amp (B52) to a relatively good rock amp (Engl).
Ok...i dont have money for a fireball,and the screamer is also a little bit too expensive,do what do amp do you suggest for the bands above?it must be a combo around 50w so i can play at home and in our practice space.
What exactly is your budget, where do you live and is a used amp an option? If you can afford a new Thunder, then a used Screamer is no problem.
I live in croatia ,so you probably dont know the prices around here.nope i think a used amp is not the option,i simply dont have enough cash.
My budget is around 900 euros.screamer is around 1250-1300 euros.
Are you implying that used amps are more expensive than new ones somehow?

Anyway, if you want something new, maybe look at the Peavey 6505 1x12" combo. They were supposed to come out by the end of this year if I'm not mistaken. If you like metal, you've probably heard of the 6505, many metal bands use it. The new 1x12" combo is a lot cheaper than previous models because it's not made in the US, but in China. Now, seeing as Peavey's been producing a lot of other models in China for some time now and they're all nice, I doubt there'll be quality problems or anything with the new combo. It's even cheaper than a new Thunder around here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm
I'd say this is your best bet.

If I extrapolate from the price of the screamer, this should be around 800€ in Croatia? Just a rough guess.
Quote by TheQuailman
Are you implying that used amps are more expensive than new ones somehow?

Anyway, if you want something new, maybe look at the Peavey 6505 1x12" combo. They were supposed to come out by the end of this year if I'm not mistaken. If you like metal, you've probably heard of the 6505, many metal bands use it. The new 1x12" combo is a lot cheaper than previous models because it's not made in the US, but in China. Now, seeing as Peavey's been producing a lot of other models in China for some time now and they're all nice, I doubt there'll be quality problems or anything with the new combo. It's even cheaper than a new Thunder around here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm
I'd say this is your best bet.

If I extrapolate from the price of the screamer, this should be around 800€ in Croatia? Just a rough guess.

No im not implying that,the main reason is that im buying a with a credit card.so that i dont need to give all the money away at once.
i heard about that peavey..i still think its a little more expensive in croatia, here in stores,and i think the clean isnt really good.
Tool and Deftones are what im getting at,and some metalcore (killswitch...).
The cleans aren't all that great on the Peavey, but it's the same with the B52. But the Peavey's got better distortion, which I think should be your main concern for metal. Most people use chorus, delay or reverb to make the cleans a bit better. Unless you play music where you have to heavily rely on cleans, the Peavey should be fine.

The problem is you're at a difficult point financially. You can either get a cheap high gain amp like the B52 or a modeller like a Line6 Flextone or you can save up until you can afford one of the higher end Engls. Between those extremes, there just isn't much to choose from, the 6505 being the only exception I can think of. I'd really think this over and seriously consider the 6505, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even like that amp that much - I just think that in your price range, it's the best solution.
If you don't want it though, I'd recommend the Thunder over the B52.

Your best bet would of course be trying said amps or at least watching youtube clips.

EDIT: It'd be pretty strange if the Peavey was significantly dearer than the Thunder... maybe what you saw where the US made 2x12" combos, which are nearly twice as pricey as the Chinese made 1x12" combo.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 23, 2009,
I personally don't think an ENGL Thunder will give you Deftones/In Flames tone. It's more of a blues/rock amp.

The B-52, though, is only available in the US. I don't know of anyone who will ship to Europe. The only way I've been able to play it is by someone selling it on ebay.com and shipping it overseas - with the obvious price of Customs.

I'd suggest you look into these amps: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, Line 6 Spider Valve, Bugera 6262, Marshall DSL, Randall RG-50 TC.

You've also got the new Peavey 6505 Quailman listed:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

The new Marshall MA50 (when it comes out) could be worth the wait. Though if it's anything like the majority of the new Marshall amps, then it's probably best looking elsewhere.

I personally suggest this amp. It's very dark and evil sounding, perfect for Deftones - it also has that thinness contained in Steph's tone.
Bogner Alchemist 112 http://www.thomann.de/ie/bogner_alchemist_112_combo.htm

Though I do agree with Quailman. Your budget it not quite big enough to reach the next stage of amplifiers. But it's not small enough to only be disposable for the low spec gear either.
So, you could either bite the bullet and get something that isn't great, but good for the price. Or wait that little bit more, save up, and get something really quite special?

The choice is yours.