I'm purchasing my first good amplifier and I am currently torn between the two.

I love the JC120's cleans, and I've heard they take pedals really well. I also like that I won't have to go through the maintenance that I will go through with a smaller tube amp. However, they weigh a ton and I'm a pretty skinny kid.

However, the Vox sounds awesome too, and is smaller and more practical for me. Everyone says tubes are the best and that it will be better in the long run (tone wise).

I play in an Indie/Post Punk band and play a Fender Mustang.
I also use a Boss ME-50 with some other small stomp boxes (analog delay, Crybaby Wah).

Just wondering what you guys think is more suitable for me.
Both are great amps...

I personally would go for the VOX, because the overdrive you could get out of it. The Jazz Chorus OD isn't great. The JC's cleans are better imo...and would probably make a better platform for pedals/multi-fx...
try a fender, awesome cleans and nice overdrive, not great but i like it and it takes pedals perfectly
That should be an easy situation. Just break it down to the facts:
1. Do you want something very loud, or very very loud?
2. Do you want something big, or very very big.
3. Do you want to buy pedals for distortion, or use amp distortion?
3A. If you want amp distortion would you prefer modern metal, or classic rock OD?
4. Do you like a sterile, scratchy clean or warm, fat clean?
5. Would you be more likely to use reverb or chorus? (I think the AC15 has reverb if not disregard.)
6. Do you want to be able to lift the amp over your head?

Those should all give you an idea. These amps are pretty different, but I understand how you could be torn.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks eyebanez333.

For a similar price I saw a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Do you know if these amps are any good? I know alot of indie/alternative bands use the Hot Rod Devilles (Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party) a guy near by is selling one with an extension cab for $950.00
The JC120 does not take dirt pedals well at all, so if you're looking to have an overdriven, get another amp. JC120s do clean and clean only as far as I'm concerned.
The vox might not have enough headroom for you, though. If you could find a used 1x12 AC30 I think that would be your best bet. Otherwise, maybe an AC30 head and cab, or a deluxe reverb would be good.
What's your budget?
The difference between the Deville and the Deluxe is negligible, imo. The Deluxe is loud, has good cleans and likes pedals a lot. If headroom is an issue, it probably is a better bet than the Vox.

^The JC actually has a drive channel, but it's about as useful as a swimming west in the dessert - it's that bad. And it's not an amp I'd try boosting with an OD or anything, but it works well with preamps and modellers.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995
The JC120 does not take dirt pedals well at all, so if you're looking to have an overdriven, get another amp. JC120s do clean and clean only as far as I'm concerned.
The vox might not have enough headroom for you, though. If you could find a used 1x12 AC30 I think that would be your best bet. Otherwise, maybe an AC30 head and cab, or a deluxe reverb would be good.
What's your budget?

My budget is about $1000-1300 (australian dollars)

I'm not really into having a head and cab, as I have to lug it around to band practise.
Quote by tubetime86
That should be an easy situation. Just break it down to the facts:
1. Do you want something very loud, or very very loud?
2. Do you want something big, or very very big.
3. Do you want to buy pedals for distortion, or use amp distortion?
3A. If you want amp distortion would you prefer modern metal, or classic rock OD?
4. Do you like a sterile, scratchy clean or warm, fat clean?
5. Would you be more likely to use reverb or chorus? (I think the AC15 has reverb if not disregard.)
6. Do you want to be able to lift the amp over your head?

Those should all give you an idea. These amps are pretty different, but I understand how you could be torn.

In terms of volume, I want something loud enough to overpower a really loud drummer. I'm no fussed with using pedals for distortion so the poor JC120 OD is not really an issue for me. However, you guys have said that it doesn't handle Dist/Overdrive pedals very well, so I'm unsure..
Will the Vox stay clean at loud volumes?
Quote by neil_cabatingan
In terms of volume, I want something loud enough to overpower a really loud drummer. I'm no fussed with using pedals for distortion so the poor JC120 OD is not really an issue for me. However, you guys have said that it doesn't handle Dist/Overdrive pedals very well, so I'm unsure..
Will the Vox stay clean at loud volumes?

The Vox will not stay clean at all when you get it cranking, so keeping it completely clean while keeping up with a drummer might be tough. Everytime I have heard a JC-120 with dirt pedals on it it has sounded great, but admittedly that's mostly Youtube reviews, and I trust Roc... I think you should consider his recommendation of the AC30, I think that is what you're looking for.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
What's your budget?

IIRC, Satriani recorded Surfing With the Alien with a Roland JC-120 and a Boss DS-1.
Quote by guitaruboy
you won't get any cleans at a decent volume with the vox

Are you high? Vox AC15 have a great clean sound. it doesn't have to be as loud as the JC120, anyways. a 15 watt amp can get plenty loud before breakup.

The JC120 is just a clean amp. that's it. there's no good middle "on the verge of breaking up" sound that you get from an amp like the AC15. the JC120 is a clean machine, but the AC15 has more character.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Nov 23, 2009,
Well, the JC 120 is a good amp if you want really clean cleans, and the Vox is more gritty cleans. The JC 120 has a f****g beatiful chorus and an awesome reverb. The JC 120 is a good base for amp modelers/simmulators. Maybe you could get the JC 120 along with the Tech 21 Sansamp Liverpool (a very good AC30 emulator), you'd have both amps in one!
Thanks for all the help guys.

Does the JC120 have a good tone by it self? Or does it need a amp sim/modeller to get the best tone out of it?
The Vox had a lot of character and sounded really good with my pedals when I used it. (I used an AC30).

What do you think about the AC15CC1?
I know that they are made in China and some people have complained about their reliability. Are they worth the money?

I am really looking for a good quality amp that will be good for recording and gigging and will last.
Quote by Sguit
Well, the JC 120 is a good amp if you want really clean cleans, and the Vox is more gritty cleans. The JC 120 has a f****g beatiful chorus and an awesome reverb. The JC 120 is a good base for amp modelers/simmulators. Maybe you could get the JC 120 along with the Tech 21 Sansamp Liverpool (a very good AC30 emulator), you'd have both amps in one!

I like this idea.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by neil_cabatingan
Thanks for all the help guys.

Does the JC120 have a good tone by it self? Or does it need a amp sim/modeller to get the best tone out of it?
The Vox had a lot of character and sounded really good with my pedals when I used it. (I used an AC30).

What do you think about the AC15CC1?
I know that they are made in China and some people have complained about their reliability. Are they worth the money?

I am really looking for a good quality amp that will be good for recording and gigging and will last.

the JC120 sounds very dull by itself. it's a decent platform for pedals, but it still doesn't quite have the feel of a tube amp, cet a dire, the dynamics. you'll need some nice pedals to get a good tone out of it. i'm not saying it's a bad amp, it's just very good at being underwhelming.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by neil_cabatingan
1. Does the JC120 have a good tone by it self? Or does it need a amp sim/modeller to get the best tone out of it?
2. What do you think about the AC15CC1?

1. Depends on what you want. They both have great cleans, but different cleans. As I said before, the JC-120 has sterile, cold cleans whereas the AC-15 has warmer, slightly gritty at high volume cleans.
2. I don't really have any experience with them, sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Not gonna lie. I didnt read every post. but the JC120's cleans are AMAZING!!!! Im getting one very soon. You can play it very quiet and very loud and its got balls. The reverb and the chorus on the JC120 is really nice. And it'll take that BOSS ME-50 like a champ!

Its probably your best bet. Im very skinny to... get wheels. =]
If you're going to be using a Boss multi-fx then get the JC120. Boss/Roland actually use the JC120 to road test their mult-fx units while they're developing them. This means that you'll likely get a better sound out of a Boss unit with a JC120 then you would out of anything else.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...