Does anyone know of any cool chords to use in drop d? Here are a couple I have been using... I'd like to know some more like this, though... I'm experimenting...

-5--8------0--
-6--10----6--
-7--9-----5--
-8--10----0--
-5--8-----0--
-5--8-----0--

^ Tab fail... Yeah...
download some songs in Drop D and learn them if you like it, learning existing songs i's always the faster way to create the music in your mind. Anyway This tuning don't change so much.
Last edited by rainboworiginal at Nov 23, 2009,
Drop D isn't really a tuning you'd have to get used to. It's one note, dropped down a step.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Quote by wamguy89
Does anyone know of any cool chords to use in drop d? Here are a couple I have been using... I'd like to know some more like this, though... I'm experimenting...

-5--8------0--
-6--10----6--
-7--9-----5--
-8--10----0--
-5--8-----0--
-5--8-----0--

^ Tab fail... Yeah...

Keep doing that. And learn some theory so you can actually name these chords.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Haha I took two years of AP music theory and did fairly well on the exam... I'm pretty sure I could name those chords. This is a tab site, though, so I was just hoping people would give me a few more chord diagrams/structures...
Do 2 things: First, keep experimenting. Second, try to find some obscure or exotic chords in standard tuning and try to find a way to play them in drop d.

And for the record, the chords are Gm9, A#maj9#11 (I think), and Dm9.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by wamguy89
^ Haha I took two years of AP music theory and did fairly well on the exam... I'm pretty sure I could name those chords. This is a tab site, though, so I was just hoping people would give me a few more chord diagrams/structures...

If you know theory then you should be able to make your own, stop being so fucking lazy.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Theory doesn't teach you chord positions on guitar, genius, but thanks for the help!
Quote by wamguy89
^ Theory doesn't teach you chord positions on guitar, genius, but thanks for the help!

No but it teaches you the notes of the chords. Therefore, if you know what the notes of the fretboard are, you can make the chords yourself.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by wamguy89

It doesn't? My god I've been figuring out all these chords wrong for these past few years! All this time I've been figuring them out myself and I should have been asking people on forums!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It doesn't? My god I've been figuring out all these chords wrong for these past few years! All this time I've been figuring them out myself and I should have been asking people on forums!

No, it doesn't.

Music theory is about the music, the sound, not about guitar playing.
Quote by chainsawguitar
No, it doesn't.

Ok, I'm going to explain this once:

1 - Think of a chord

2 - Find out the notes that make up the chord

3 - Find those notes on the fretboard

4 - Place the notes so that they're physically playable

5 - Play chord.

There, using theory to find chords that you need, I don't understand at what point in this I needed anyone elses help...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by chainsawguitar
No, it doesn't.

You may not have learnt theory specific to guitar, but it only takes a bit of effort to apply it - if you can form a chord on paper you should be able to do that on your instrument.

If you can work out the notes using theory then just try mapping them out on the fretboard and pick voicings that work for you
Last edited by zhilla at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, I'm going to explain this once:

1 - Think of a chord

2 - Find out the notes that make up the chord

3 - Find those notes on the fretboard

4 - Place the notes so that they're physically playable

5 - Play chord.

There, using theory to find chords that you need, I don't understand at what point in this I needed anyone elses help...

Ja but what you've done is two separate things.

You used theory to work out the notes in that chord, and then you voiced the chord on the fretboard.

I think what this thread is about is the second part, not the first.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Ja but what you've done is two separate things.

You used theory to work out the notes in that chord, and then you voiced the chord on the fretboard.

I think what this thread is about is the second part, not the first.

It shouldn't be two things, it should be one act. What use is theory if you can't apply it to your instrument? I'm aware as much as anyone that theory is independent of the instrument you apply it to but if you can't at least apply it to your own then there's no point in having learned, is there?

Edit: 10,000th post

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It shouldn't be two things, it should be one act. What use is theory if you can't apply it to your instrument? I'm aware as much as anyone that theory is independent of the instrument you apply it to but if you can't at least apply it to your own then there's no point in having learned, is there?

Edit: 10,000th post

Yes but, as I understand it, this thread is about different voicings that people like to use in drop D tuning. It's not asking what the chords are, just good sounding ways to voice them.

Also, wamguy89 does say that he's experimenting- this is completely separate to him saying that he doesn't know what hes doing!

He asked for some good voicings for drop D chords, do you have any favourites?

Btw congrats on your 10,000th post
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yes but, as I understand it, this thread is about different voicings that people like to use in drop D tuning. It's not asking what the chords are, just good sounding ways to voice them.

Also, wamguy89 does say that he's experimenting- this is completely separate to him saying that he doesn't know what hes doing!

He asked for some good voicings for drop D chords, do you have any favourites?

Btw congrats on your 10,000th post

Well I'm quite partial to this maj7 voicing:

e|X
b|7
g|7
d|5
a|5
d|5

It's missing the third which adds a quality I like.

This m7add11 is nice:

e|5
b|6
g|5
d|8
a|5
d|5

I'm a big fan of 9ths and 11ths.

and a final maj7add#11:

e|7
b|7
g|6
d|5
a|5
d|5

To be honest I don't use drop tunings all that much unless I'm playing along to someone elses stuff... that's why the first two chords are ripped wholesale from My Curse by Killswitch Engagae

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^ Those are very cool and helpful actually! Haha That is exactly what I was asking for in this thread... There was really no need for it to turn into an argument about knowing theory or not... It wasn't a theory related question (as chainsaw stated)... Haha But thank you for sharing those chord voicings... I guess I should look up some Kill Switch Engage songs and stuff... I love the clean parts in a lot of metal songs where they use those interesting chords... I was trying to find some voicings like those, mainly... Thanks.
Quote by wamguy89
^ Those are very cool and helpful actually! Haha That is exactly what I was asking for in this thread... There was really no need for it to turn into an argument about knowing theory or not... It wasn't a theory related question (as chainsaw stated)... Haha But thank you for sharing those chord voicings... I guess I should look up some Kill Switch Engage songs and stuff... I love the clean parts in a lot of metal songs where they use those interesting chords... I was trying to find some voicings like those, mainly... Thanks.

My Curse is something of an oddity in KsE's catalogue, they usually take a relatively complicated chord and split it across 2 guitars so that the sound doesn't end up being overly complex and muddy, like the chorus of My Last Serenade; the overall harmony is a Cm9, Bbsus4, Abadd9 progression with a bar of riff on the end but they split it across 2 guitars so one guitar plays a C5, Bb5, Asus2 progression with the riff on the end and the other guitar adds more colour tones and then the riff.

Edit: If you want more examples of slightly more complex harmony in metal I suggest you listen to both Cynic albums in detail and try and get your head around some of Emperor's more complex songs.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 25, 2009,
These are generally the only drop D chords I use, but I only use them when playing specific songs, these aren't those types of chords that you can play and sound amazing on its own.

g---------------------5---7---
d--3---5---7---8---5---7---
a--3---5---7---8---3---5---
d--3---5---7---8------------