What do you guys have on your rackmounts. whats are these things used for. what all is there to put on it... I want to sortof make a rack full of effects/ processors/ preamps/ stuff like that. because my amp doesnt have them built in and i have limited space in my room to keep allot of stuff on the floor because i have allot of furnature, (desk T.V DVD player dresser, amp, queen bed, guitar stand, music stand) you get the picture. so ya what do you guys put on your rackmounts where can you buy "rackmounts" do not list like 2 in 1 things i find it complicated. i like one thing of each. if you guys are gunna nag me about my experiance and shit then just dont post it. i like to jump into things right away. and i think thats the way to be it pushes you to play around more with different effects and make up little spontanius melodys. it teaches you to creat your own style of playing/ music. My main guitar inspiration is John petrucci of Dream Theater i like the bands sortof heavy metal/fusion sound and John Petrucci in my opinion has come up with some of the coolest guitar riffs there are. I have seen some parts of paul gilberts get out of my yard.( I think he has influenced my playing a bit too.)I really like Megadeth/metallica as well and some of the newer metal stuff like lamb of god and trivium are im starting to really like... i am starting to like stuff by eddie van halen but im just sortof getting into it. and im trying to start to listen to some older fusion/progressive stuff because i think some day if i want to start a band and play guitar for a living. Then i would like my music to sound allot like dream theaters. and thats why i would like to be influenced by this kind of music (so if you guys know any progressive bands list them as well.(im just saying this cuz you guys are gunna ask me what music i like and want to play. idk why ppl ask that.) as well i like the sortof smooth/crunchy distortion. not really buzzy distortion like some southern metal bands/ metalcore.
Uh, if you wanna know what the average person has in their rack, then probably a Power Conditioner, a Pre-Amp, some sort of FX processor, a few dedicated FX units like maybe a compressor or a reverb unit, and then a power amp.
Probably the most common rackmount set-up is:

-Power conditioner
-Tuner
-Compression
-Reverb
-preamp
-poweramp

You can throw anything under the sun in there.
Some rack-mount synth processors, delays, reverbs, wireless units, and pitch shifters are light-years ahead of stompbox style units.
Part of the appeal is using studio quality effects in a stage package.
An excellent option is all of the above, in addition to pedals stored in a seperate drawer or rack space, and using a midi switcher to control them via a floor switch into a (rackmount) controller.
It gets plenty complicated, and it's really only used to save space when the equivalent gear would take up half the stage!
Quote by Rutch
Probably the most common rackmount set-up is:

-Power conditioner
-Tuner
-Compression
-Reverb
-preamp
-poweramp

You can throw anything under the sun in there.
Some rack-mount synth processors, delays, reverbs, wireless units, and pitch shifters are light-years ahead of stompbox style units.
Part of the appeal is using studio quality effects in a stage package.
An excellent option is all of the above, in addition to pedals stored in a seperate drawer or rack space, and using a midi switcher to control them via a floor switch into a (rackmount) controller.
It gets plenty complicated, and it's really only used to save space when the equivalent gear would take up half the stage!

and what do these units do
I have a power conditioner and an effects unit (g-major) in my guitar rack....

I have a power conditioner, a tuner, and my head in my bass rack.
Quote by zappmi35

A power conditioner will help eliminate hum, a preamp is what gives you your tone and the power amp is what gives you your power (you could do without these if you have an amp), A tuner is used to make sure you're in tune, compression will shorten the signal length (compress it) which helps with cleans and sustain and reverb gives you well, reverb. I think it's also common to have a multi Fx unit, seeing as how they can provide 100s of effects
heres a tip:try to keep your rack simple cuz the more you add in,more confusing it get
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by zappmi35

You really need to do some research and then come back with any questions you have. We're all for helping you but we're not too big on babying you. And a rack will take up way more space than some pedals if that's one of your reasons.

BTW, none of the bands you listed are fusion.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Cheers for the Wall 'O Text there!

You don't really buy one for the sake of it, because you feel like you should have them.

A rack is just a useful way of storing multiple bulky effects/amps/processors, so they're easier to access and transport. Unless there's something specific you want that's designed to be rackmounted, you don't need one.
Quote by mmolteratx
You really need to do some research and then come back with any questions you have. We're all for helping you but we're not too big on babying you. And a rack will take up way more space than some pedals if that's one of your reasons.

BTW, none of the bands you listed are fusion.

i cant research if i dont know what to research thats why i posted this thread to find out what things i must research.And if i can ask a question and get answers without doing research then why not. it wont take up more floor space then having a bunch of pedals everwhere... and it is more portable so i can move it from place to place if me and some of my friends wanted to jam. and i know none of the bands i listened to are fusion. i meant because Dream theater is one of my favourite bands and they were influenced by fusion/ progressive rock. i would like to hear some fusion/progressive bands and i said "if you know any list them"
Last edited by zappmi35 at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by zappmi35
it wont take up more floor space then having a bunch of pedals everwhere... and it is more portable so i can move it from place to place if me and some of my friends wanted to jam.

Ever heard of a 'pedalboard'?
Quote by Sguit
Here's an article that should help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph

I don't know about your question, your barely readable wall of text hurts my head badly I couldn't read 'till the end

thank you very much for the article i will be sure to write in paragraph format next time for those of you that cannot read what i am writing. next time you see a wall of text such as the one i wrote.. try highlighting the entire text then dehighlighting as you go along. the contrast is easier on the eyes and does not require as much focus. lol
Can you help me with building a Great Wall of Text?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by kyle62

i would much rather have an effects processor with hundreds of options. all in one then have a pedalboard with 10-15 pedals on it.
Quote by kyle62

Seriously. You're gonna need to have a ton of pedals for a rack-mount setup to be more space efficient. And if you don't own a rack-mount amp, which it sounds like you don't, you're looking at a very large monetary investment here. Plus you don't seem to know what you want at all.

My suggestion: Buy a multieffect processor (Line6 Pod, Zoom G1, etc.). It's the most affordable, space efficient option, and it will help you figure out what exactly you're looking for.
Quote by zappmi35
thank you very much for the article i will be sure to write in paragraph format next time for those of you that cannot read what i am writing. next time you see a wall of text such as the one i wrote.. try highlighting the entire text then dehighlighting as you go along. the contrast is easier on the eyes and does not require as much focus. lol

Well see now, you sort of have us in a quandary with that one.

If you want help, please, PLEASE make it easier on US to help you. We're already doing our part to help you out, you should make it easier for us.

That being said, yeah, you don't need a rack. Unless you have a bazillion pedals and a rack-mountable pre, it's just not worth it.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by jam979
And if you don't own a rack-mount amp, which it sounds like you don't, you're looking at a very large monetary investment here. Plus you don't seem to know what you want at all.

+1

TS... you're looking at the bare minimum of a preamp and a poweramp... and in most circumstances, that will cost a lot more than just a good amp and some good pedals to do what you want it to do.

People get rack setup for the versatility (swapping and matching of rack units), power (over individual aspects of the setup) and control over their setup. They don't get rack to save space.

Bottomline: if you are asking about the different rack units and what goes into a rack setup, with the intention of getting a rack setup, then you're not ready for a rack setup yet.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.