I recently bought my first guitar with a locking tremolo.
Its a great guitar, and I want to hear how it sounds when tuned down to drop B or lower.
I used to use larger gauge strings on my other guitars to make sure I could do that, but I heard that with locking tremolos you're supposed to use a certain gauge string (either .09 or .10)
So I'm just wondering if there's any way I can get down to the low tunings with this thing without the strings being like spaghetti noodles.
Quote by Jarrod18241
I heard that with locking tremolos you're supposed to use a certain gauge string (either .09 or .10)

No idea where this myth comes from....

You can put any strings you want on it, just make sure they will be approximately the same tension with the thicker strings than your current strings are in standard, balance out the back springs after (add one if necessary)
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
What you're hearing about only being able to use 9's or 10's is bollocks. You can use any gauge you want. I recommend 11's for Drop B. 12's for anything lower.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
I think that your supposed to use lighter guage strings when its in standard, so that when you pull up on the trem it doesn't put too much tension on the neck, but it probably does't make that much difference.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
If you use lower tunings on a guitar especially with double locking bridges you should set it up (raise the strings from the fretboard) to get more tension on low tunings especially in drop B
Last edited by Fardarkcrow at Nov 23, 2009,