My speaking voice, even though it is just as loud and powerful as everyone else's, has this strange "lightness" to it, and the same goes for my singing voice unfortunately. When I try to make it sound a bit more bottom-heavy by opening up my throat and resonating against my soft palate, it just sounds like my usual semi-childish voice, but with an artificial layer of heaviness over it. It's just getting annoying. How can I change this? I really want to sing, but my voice just isn't pleasant to listen to. Also, because of the tone of my voice, even though all the air is exiting through my mouth (I've worked hard to eliminate any actual nasal tone), a lot of syllables sound "choked up" or "semi-nasal". I make Bob Dylan sound like Frank Sinatra.

EDIT: I'm 16 and my voice has fully deepened as far as I can tell. When I was a kid, it was REALLY high-pitched.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Nov 23, 2009,
just practise man. Some of us are just not natural born singers. Im a terrible singer but I sounded a hell of alot worse a year ago. Practise singing like you practise guitar and i promise youl get better.
My voice is REALLY unusual, though. "just practice" doesn't tell me much.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Here's a reply I posted in another thread. I would love to post more, but House is on!!!

Quote by Jimbosandwich
As hard as it is to believe, tone quality and vocal "color" can be improved through practice. Your tone will always have that "you" factor, but can be chronically improved (it gets stronger, more vibrant, and more resonant) and a trained voice can sing with just about any "color" they want.

Just wanting to point out that the "you factor" is never a bad thing. This is what will make your voice stand out among other singers when you become a rockstar. Feel free to ask any more questions...off to Fox I go!!!
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
My girlfriend does that to me!
Feels pretty good!

^In a thread about strap-ons.
What are some good exercises I can do to practice?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You could sing scales such as doe rae me, or try to match your voice to a song. I find these boring and frusterating however. Why not just sing songs you enjoy and try your very hardest. As well as make sure your using your diaphram. Just singing songs you enjoy will make you better.
Vocal training is difficult learn without direct feedback. What I mean is, I can't hear you....so it would be difficult to point out specific techniques or advice. Do you have any recording of your singing?

Anyway, good warm up exercises would include singing scales.......using various vowels and consonants. Doing this will get you used to the different mouth, jaw, tongue positions...etc. As for a deeper, richer tone......you need to use the air cavity in the back of your mouth/head like a resonance chamber and push air from your diaphragm rather than just your lungs.
It's a resonance thing, man. You've got to make your voice resonate nicely. Look up some info on the internet about how to achieve that. Trust me, I have a speaking voice that really bugs me. I've got a pretty thick Southern California surfer sort of accent, and my voice is ridiculously deep, but my singing voice sound nothing like that. It just took a lot of practice and trial-and-error to get it to be what I want.
+1^

And for a brighter, thinner sound, you need to develop a mix of head voice and chest voice.

More chest resonance = thicker, darker, fuller sound
More head resonance = thinner, brighter, lighter and hootier sound
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
Feels pretty good!

I don't think some of you understand that my singing voice is no thinner or weaker than my speaking voice - my timbre just sounds very strange and sometimes even a little "childish". I'd post up a recording, but I'm sick right now.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Quote by Jimbosandwich
+1^

And for a brighter, thinner sound, you need to develop a mix of head voice and chest voice.

More chest resonance = thicker, darker, fuller sound
More head resonance = thinner, brighter, lighter and hootier sound

Wat? :P

At all times you are using a combination of head and chest voice. Some sounds cause more vibration in one than the other, but it is ultimately a combination of both (when singing within your range).

Your voice is lighter and thinner than you want it too be because you are using more head voice than chest, placing more emphasis on the higher frequencies. You have to introduce more chest into the sound. Drop your jaw, and sing from your chest. Keep your head level at all times, clench your buttcheeks to get higher sounds and power it out.

Start at a lower note and slowly go up to identify where you are loosing the feeling. Hopefully you'll figure it out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^What I meant is you need to use more head resonance then chest. Even though you are always using a combo of both, I still like to refer to them separately. I'm sorry, I should have pointed that out earlier.
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
Feels pretty good!

Last edited by Jimbosandwich at Nov 24, 2009,
Quote by AlanHB
Keep your head level at all times, clench your buttcheeks to get higher sounds and power it out.

Do not do this. If you're going to use straight up, shouty, chest voice pulling kind of technique, then okay, but if you want any sort of nimbleness in your singing, or consistency of tone, this just takes too much effort, not to mention it's generally unpleasant, tonally, for the listener.

Singing should never ever be like weightlifting. Reaching high notes is difficult from a coordination standpoint. It should never be difficult from a physical standpoint. If you ever find yourself muscling your way through notes, you are absolutely doing it inefficiently, and probably doing stuff that's detrimental to the health and tone of your voice. Again, if that's the sound you're going for, shout away and reach for those notes, but if you want a pretty even tone, that doesn't sound like you're struggling in your high range, there are much better ways.
Quote by Chaingarden
Do not do this. If you're going to use straight up, shouty, chest voice pulling kind of technique, then okay, but if you want any sort of nimbleness in your singing, or consistency of tone, this just takes too much effort, not to mention it's generally unpleasant, tonally, for the listener.

Singing should never ever be like weightlifting. Reaching high notes is difficult from a coordination standpoint. It should never be difficult from a physical standpoint. If you ever find yourself muscling your way through notes, you are absolutely doing it inefficiently, and probably doing stuff that's detrimental to the health and tone of your voice. Again, if that's the sound you're going for, shout away and reach for those notes, but if you want a pretty even tone, that doesn't sound like you're struggling in your high range, there are much better ways.

I mentioned those because people have a tendency to raise their head up towards the ceiling on the higher notes. Clenching the buttcheeks helps you mentally focus on the lower half of your body to produce a more rounded tone. As tone does not come from your ass, it is more a mental help than a physical.

Adding volume to it would also help the TS focus on the lower area. I didn't mean to force it out.

Let's be clear that his stated problem is that his singing voice is too "girly" or "airy". This is because not enough chest voice is not being introduced into the sound. I simply gave suggestions on how to introduce those in.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I mentioned those because people have a tendency to raise their head up towards the ceiling on the higher notes. Clenching the buttcheeks helps you mentally focus on the lower half of your body to produce a more rounded tone. As tone does not come from your ass, it is more a mental help than a physical.

Adding volume to it would also help the TS focus on the lower area. I didn't mean to force it out.

Let's be clear that his stated problem is that his singing voice is too "girly" or "airy". This is because not enough chest voice is not being introduced into the sound. I simply gave suggestions on how to introduce those in.

I totally agree that not enough chest voice is the problem, but clenching anything isn't the answer. I think probably the thing here that's the problem, and the big problem 90% of the time with singers, is lack of good resonance. If you've got good resonance, creating a fuller sound should be intuitive. You shouldn't have to actively do things with your body to make it happen. If you've got a nice buzz throughout your mask region, a fuller sound will happen automatically. If you're clenching muscles, you're cutting off tonal quality. Muscling through notes will make them sound less girly, but it will consequently make a sound that's fake and uncomfortable.
Quote by Chaingarden
I totally agree that not enough chest voice is the problem, but clenching anything isn't the answer. I think probably the thing here that's the problem, and the big problem 90% of the time with singers, is lack of good resonance. If you've got good resonance, creating a fuller sound should be intuitive. You shouldn't have to actively do things with your body to make it happen. If you've got a nice buzz throughout your mask region, a fuller sound will happen automatically. If you're clenching muscles, you're cutting off tonal quality. Muscling through notes will make them sound less girly, but it will consequently make a sound that's fake and uncomfortable.

But it's your ass! It shouldn't affect your lungs or throat unless you're a butthead (bad joke).

You can't just tell a person who naturally has flawed technique to "improve their resonance" - it just gives a name to their problem, not a solution. The solutions can be found by doing physical things with your body and slowly training yourself to do them.

I'll just say that I had the exact same problem, and keeping my head level and clenching my ass initially helped me bring in more chest voice into the higher register. It may work for TS as well, considering it's the same problem I had.

Edit: Also dropping the jaw helps
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
But it's your ass! It shouldn't affect your lungs or throat unless you're a butthead (bad joke).

You can't just tell a person who naturally has flawed technique to "improve their resonance" - it just gives a name to their problem, not a solution. The solutions can be found by doing physical things with your body and slowly training yourself to do them.

I'll just say that I had the exact same problem, and keeping my head level and clenching my ass initially helped me bring in more chest voice into the higher register. It may work for TS as well, considering it's the same problem I had.

Edit: Also dropping the jaw helps

Well, here's kind of another example, though unrelated. If you clenched your ass the entire time while you were, say, at the gym, wouldn't that distract you and tire you out? In addition, clenching any muscle at all tells your body to be in a state of tension. This will compound by getting the rest of your muscles in that mindset, as it were.

There are specific things for helping resonance. The ringing sensation in the mask (around the face, nose, eyes, cheeks, etc.) is a pretty good one. If you say the word "nun," hold out the latter "n," and feel a vibrating sensation roughly around your nose, that's a great approximation of what good resonance feels like. If you hoot like an owl, that gives a pretty good idea of where the upper register, heady resonance is occurring.

Dropping the jaw does really help, too, though.
Sorry I should have stated that the ass-clench is only employed for the duration of the higher notes in your range.

I see what your talking about now. I wouldn't sing the entire time with a clenched ass unless Jessica Alba was standing behind me. Even then she would not be impressed
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

Then why is my speaking voice thin as well? Isn't that 100% chest voice? It's not high-pitched, it's not quiet, I wouldn't even call it girly, but it just has this weird "lightness" factor to it. I have sort of a "deep, yet childish" voice, if you get what I mean. The problem is, even my chest voice sounds weird.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Quote by i_don't_know
Then why is my speaking voice thin as well? Isn't that 100% chest voice? It's not high-pitched, it's not quiet, I wouldn't even call it girly, but it just has this weird "lightness" factor to it. I have sort of a "deep, yet childish" voice, if you get what I mean. The problem is, even my chest voice sounds weird.

I think we need a recording to judge
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
Feels pretty good!

I'm sick.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Funny thing is, I actually am. And I mentioned it earlier on in the thread.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Yeah, he mentioned that to me when I asked if he had a recording of his singing.
Post one up once you feel better dude. I think we'll be able to get a better idea of what your problem is...........and provide better suggestions.
Dropping your jaw is not good advice.

Try this: make an "Ah" sound while opening your mouth real wide, and drop your jaw as far as you can. Where do you feel the most tension? Your throat, you say? Hmmmm.....

You can improve resonance and make the best of the voice you have with proper instruction.

Here's an analogy I like to use:

You will never, ever make a Strat sound like a Les Paul. You will never, ever make your voice sound like someone else's.

But!!

Take that Les Paul and plug it into a 10W off-brand practice amp. That's your voice without training or technique. Now plug it into a vintage hand-wired Marshall. THAT's your voice with training and technique. Sure, in any case, it still sounds like a Les Paul, but the tonal qualities of the latter are SO much better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.