I am planning to manufacture guitar frets using sterling silver. Any comments from anyone and can any of you recommend me the machinery and equipment for them. Thank you.
Plan to get complaints. It won't be much more aesthetically pleasing, will be more expensive, and will wear out faster.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
If there are demands, I'll also make them using 18K gold. Why not? But first, I'll need the machinery, tools and equipment. I'll buy them wherever they are available and install them at my factory. Any offers?
Gold frets? Gold is incredibly malleable. I can't see those lasting long. Eh, whatever floats your boat. Sounds like a gigantic piece of jewelry to me.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Silver and gold are both far too soft to be useful as frets. No luthier in the world would buy those.
Quote by Roc8995
Silver and gold are both far too soft to be useful as frets. No luthier in the world would buy those.

This^^^ It's completely unfeasible. The metals are way to soft.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Gold is WAY too soft. You can lightly heat it and mold it with your hands, what do you think that steel strings are going to do?

Sorry, its a pretty cool idea, but totally impractical.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
agreed, unless it were a very small percent purity, but at that point you need to ask yourself why bother at all.

can anyone comment on the malleability of copper, though? that could look interesting if itd work
Why bother? There are already Stainless Steel frets, and they are far better than Nickel/Steel. I cant see there being much improvement over SS.
Haha, great business plan you've got there.

I'd be very surprised if you manage to pull off sterling silver fret wire, in terms of durability you'd probably get similar results using frets made from tinfoil-wrapped Play-Doh.
This is hands down the stupidest idea I've seen in a while. I hear Lil Wayne shreds now, he might be interested.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Unless they start making strings out of gold , then I suggest you don't do it... it will be like scraping diamonds across glass... people will be afriad to even play.

If you really want to try this just as an experiment though, I suggest you start on a classical catgut/nylon string guitar and see what happens, but even then I think the metal would be too soft for the strings and it would be impractical anyway since frets need to be worked on and they are expensive enough as it is.

Keep thinking about improving and specializing guitars though and maybe some better ideas will come up...
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Jammy Pige
Unless they start making strings out of gold

I was using Optima 24-carat gold plated strings for most of last year, although I can never be arsed ordering them any more... great if you can get hold of them.
Quote by kyle62
I was using Optima 24-carat gold plated strings for most of last year, although I can never be arsed ordering them any more... great if you can get hold of them.

Nice... I'd like to try some too someday; maybe it might help I'm no expert in this stuff, but I think solid gold would be needed on gold frets or frequent string changes or something... it just doesn't seem right.
~JP~
Actually, this is very interesting. Silver has very unique acoustics. It resonates better and vibrates longer than anything else. We even get one of our common turns of phrase from this property. To say something "rings true" is to refer to the practice of determining if an object, usually a coin or piece of silverware was really made of silver by sound. I am quite interested to hear the sound of a silver fret vs. brass or nickel.

You are better off making the frets from 999 pure silver, since it will actually be harder than sterling or even brass.
A lot of the yahoos on here don't understand metallurgy. Don't listen to them. Silver is a great idea, especially for sound. My hunch is that you can play a much longer sustain with silver hardware.

Just search "sound of silver" on youtube
Last edited by strictlyspecimens at Dec 12, 2016,