So, I'm interested in picking up a guitar strictly to satisfy my metal leanings. The only guitar I have that could do it has a Floyd, and I don't want to dedicate it to heavy strings and C standard tuning so that means I need another guitar. I am leaning towards the Peavey Void I.

However, opinions on this line of guitars seem very hard to come by. I think most people just don't trust Peavey as a guitar manufacturer. As far as I can tell, these are pretty decent instruments- the store I work at is a Peavey dealer so I can get a good deal on one of these.

The only thing that gives me pause is the Peavey "VFL" pickups. Anyone know if these get muddy in low tunings? I don't want to buy one of these, set it up, and then get a bunch of mud and have to swap the pups.

Anyone have info on these pickups/guitars? If they have good clarity or do they get muddy with such low tunings?

I'm open to suggestions, but as I mentioned, I have a limited budget here of 300-400, and can only really afford this because I'll get a discount. So I think these are likely my best bet.
Most of my guitars have run me around 300, as I buy them through the place I work. Unfortunately I don't have access to a lot of brands because of that. I'd be willing to go up a little, but it'd be hard to justify going above 400. The pups don't exactly have to be pro quality, just usable actives for low tunings. Thanks for the response.
Have you ever thought of a used hardtail LTD or ibanez?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Nope, but I'll look into it. I have an Ibanez that I like, but it's got a Floyd and is set to standard tuning, and I like it how it is. I was drawn to the PXD line for the cost and presence of active pups- as my current guitars are passive, I'd like something with a set of actives in it and I doubt I can swing the cost of a guitar and 200 more on a set of EMGs.

Not to mention, embarrassed as I am to admit it, I kind of like the look of the PXDs. I usually hate jagged obnoxious metal guitar designs, but I figure if I'm going to get something like this I might as well go all the way with it. Definitely distinctive and different from anything else I own, which is a plus. I could never be one of those guys with 94 strats hanging up in a barn.

But, looks are definitely secondary to sound, so if the VFLs won't cut it I'll have to keep looking.
I've never tried any of the peavey guitars so I can't be much help there, sorry.

I guess just troll craigslist for the time being while you test out the PXD? Maybe try and sneak in and downtune it haha
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1