Okay, I've always wanted to go snowboarding, but for one reason or another I never have. A couple of my friends are avid snowboarders and are willing to try and teach me some stuff about it. I'm very excited about this, but I have a problem. According to my friends, all the gear is pretty expensive, and they don't have spare gear. I guess I could rent it for my first try, but from my understanding it's still a hefty price.

Anyways, I'm gonna try it out when the slopes open. Anyone have any tips or anything?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
hey dude, same here. like 3 of my friends snowboard. i want to. you'll have to let me know how it goes
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Be prepared to fall. A lot. Wear thick pants because you'll probably spend equal times on the board and on your ass.

However, after about the third or fourth time down the mountain you'll get the hang of it, and won't fall that often anymore.

Usually, it kind of sucks the first time, then is awesome the second time. So tough through the frustrating wiping out.
I'm an accomplished snowboarder. The best advice I have for beginners I always say is to make sure that you stay in control of the board. Don't just "ride" on it, take control with your leg muscles and carve at will, otherwise little bumps and imperfections in the mountain will make you fall. Also, make it a point to learn how to turn both ways. Some people like to turn only towards their heelside because it's easier, but it's important to learn to turn towards your toes as well. Otherwise it's like playing guitar without learning to fret with your pinky.

EDIT: Also yes, be prepared to fall a lot, and don't give up after the first day when you're really sore from falling. Try to break your falls with your forearms and not your hands so much. Snowboarders break their wrists more often than anything else from trying to brace their falls with their hands, as you could imagine.
Last edited by KwikKopy at Nov 23, 2009,
Your ass is gonna hurt so bad! But it's so much fun. It's all about balance, and you're gonna put most of your weight on your heels your first time, and lean back just a little to turn. Toes requires much more skill as it's harder to balance and easier to catch your edged, which sucks.
Quote by onebetter
Be prepared to fall. A lot. Wear thick pants because you'll probably spend equal times on the board and on your ass.

However, after about the third or fourth time down the mountain you'll get the hang of it, and won't fall that often anymore.

Usually, it kind of sucks the first time, then is awesome the second time. So tough through the frustrating wiping out.

Listen to him!
yeah i went snowboarding once last year. first time. it was alot of fun. fell a billion times. but its true, that the cost is steap when u wanna start. i would love to do it more, but time and money. you know. but if u go a smaller hill, rentals are ofen cheaper. i was able to to go the days i did for 50 r 60 bucks rentals included. i guess u gotta decide if u wanna commit to it and buy a board r not.
good luck!
I Shit You Not
Quote by onebetter

this.
Go Veg.
Quote by KwikKopy
I'm an accomplished snowboarder. The best advice I have for beginners I always say is to make sure that you stay in control of the board. Don't just "ride" on it, take control with your leg muscles and carve at will, otherwise little bumps and imperfections in the mountain will make you fall. Also, make it a point to learn how to turn both ways. Some people like to turn only towards their heelside because it's easier, but it's important to learn to turn towards your toes as well. Otherwise it's like playing guitar without learning to fret with your pinky.

EDIT: Also yes, be prepared to fall a lot, and don't give up after the first day when you're really sore from falling. Try to break your falls with your forearms and not your hands so much. Snowboarders break their wrists more often than anything else from trying to brace their falls with their hands, as you could imagine.

Agreed. One of the best ways to learn to ride both front and backside is to practice on a small, low grade part of the hill. Get used to controlling yourself like a pendulum. Always keep your knees slightly bent. Never lock them. First , start backside ( back toward the top of the hill ), which is easiest. To go right, keep your left arm down and put your right arm up and point very slightly ( only a couple of degrees ) down hill. Your board will follow. Keep your toes pointed upward slightly. This will prevent you from catching your front edge and falling to your knees / face. To stop that momentum, apply more pressure to your heel side by trying to lift your toes upward and staying solid on your heels. Once you're stopped, drop your right arm, and point your left down the hill. You'll go the other way. Then stop.

Once you get the hang of this, you'll be able to move back and forth without stopping. Then, you've got to do the same frontside ( face toward the top of the hill ). When you get the hang of both of these, you'll have to learn to go from backside to frontside doing the pendulum. If you're backside, point down the hill with your right arm to start going down and once you start moving downward, point your right arm in the other direction and lean from heel to toe right after the point that you're facing downward. Your body will follow the direction you're pointing.

Once you're able to do this pendulum frontside to backside and vice versa, you've got the basics of carving.

Then, I suggest some liquid courage. This will eliminate the fear factor, lol.

Oh.. and I'm goofy footed, so if you're standard, do the opposite of every direction I've indicated.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
falling sucks.

plan to spend like 2-3 hours on the bunny slope.

other than that its a blast.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by wahappen
*useful stuff*

Listen to this man.

I miss snowboarding so much. I've had to take a three-year break because of my hips. I can tell you, judo and snowboarding don't go well together. I might try and hit the slopes this year.

To contribute something, keep your weight mostly on the front foot, otherwise you'll get that annoying wobbling and most likely will fall.

Hope you get a new hobby, good luck mate.
The Most Important Advice For First Time Snowboarders

For the love of God, learn how to fall. See that bony part between your hands and arms? That is your wrist. It is really easy to break it while boarding.

When you are falling forwards, fall onto your forearms, not your wrist.
When falling backwards, fall onto your elbows.

Broken Wrists are pretty common snowboarding accidents, I have seen a few.

Broken Wrist + Guitar = FAIL.

Learn how to fall, practice it.
Be prepared to fall on your ass all day long. Also, you turn by leaning to one side or another, not by how you would think you turn.
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
You will fall down the mountain. Just know you'll have to get up and do it again and again until you reach the bottom. Then you can decide if you want to get on the lift again. I've went with people who passed on the second trip up. If you keep at it you will get the hang of it but it is a trying experience. also if you fall down the mountain all day be prepared to hurt severely when you wake up the next day. All that said, have fun!
yes, the gear is pretty expensive, but if you actually start snowboarding, its worth it to buy the stuff.

you're gunna be on your ass the whole first day, its a sad fact, but as soon as you get it, you feel like a god.

make sure you get the right board for you, if your goofy, you don't want to be riding regular, it can really screw you up, also too big of a board can make it really hard to keep in control.

also, bunny hill ropes... rip up your gloves like a mofo. don't wear an expensive pare if you're planning on using a rope to get up a hill, in the end its for the loss.

don't lean back or anything, keep a good stance and stay your ground, if you don't i promise you, hit some kinda snow drift and your down.

otherwise, have fun man. i hope you come to love the sport as much as i do.
Where I want to be.
Alright. You guys have gotten me pretty excited about it. Lol. I could see myself doing it regularly, but right now I can't afford to buy all the gear, so I'll rent it for this time, and when I get a job (hopefully next week if I'm lucky) I'll look at getting my own gear.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Snowboarding is incredibly fun, but if you are a first timer then make sure you try to get out to the slopes several times. First time I went snowboarding we only went out for one day and I spent the entire day on my ass. It was frustrating and annoying as hell and didn't really enjoy myself that much until I finally managed to get down the mountain without falling on my ass most of the time, but by then it was dark and we were heading out and then I didn't go again for a while and had to relearn again. But if you spend several days out on the slopes, you have a day to learn, a second day to get a real good hang of it and by the third day you can pretty much tackle any slope. Once you get the hang of it, you catch on real quickly.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 23, 2009,
get ready for your ass to hurt like the first night in a gang-dominant prison, buddy, cause ur gonna be falling on it alot. have fun!
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!