Hey so we've all heard about Hendrix and stuff yeah yeah. But most people think lessons are worth it.
I've been playing nearly a year now though and I think I'm getting to be pretty decent. I've been able to write my own stuff MOSTLY by ear and with an occasional glance at a scale. I've been learning in a not so technical way, more by hearing and feeling what sounds good. So do you think guitar lessons are worth the time and money for me?
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
I think if you need to know what you want to accomplish and that your teacher is capable of helping you do that for lessons to be properly effective.. I've never got lessons, but I bet I would have progressed a lot quicker had I
4 years, all self-taught. I'm happy where I am, it's about having fun, not being the best.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
4 years, all self-taught. I'm happy where I am, it's about having fun, not being the best.

Yeah I'm trying to get my bends right and stuff. And get things to sound JUST right. Is that just a matter of time and practice?
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

I took lessons for about a year and quit because he wasn't a very good teacher. It really helpe in the beginning. I think if a graph was made of my abilities, it would shoot up in the beginning and then plateau right now. Make sure if you do get lessons, it's a good teacher.
Yahoo!
I took lessons for a few years from the local guitar shop. then took a year and a half off. For the past half a year or so I've been taking lessons from the Jazz guitar teacher at a University here. I've probably learned more in this half a year than all the time I took at the guitar shop, so it probably depends a lot on the teacher.
Guitar lessons are a much easier way to build on your technique, it's like showing, rather than telling. I could tell you to make me a sandwich, but then it wouldn't always be perfect, so i'd have to go make it myself in turn showing you. Just to make it perfect.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS
Guitar lessons are a much easier way to build on your technique, it's like showing, rather than telling. I could tell you to make me a sandwich, but then it wouldn't always be perfect, so i'd have to go make it myself in turn showing you. Just to make it perfect.

Or you could get a woman to make it for you
I think lessons are great if you want to learn how to play guitar technically, but I found in my opinion, it's creatively stifling, because you're learning other people's material, or scales that you won't directly use to write songs. I had lessons as an intro to the guitar, and then I taught myself once I figured out how it worked. I think quitting lessons was the best thing I ever did for my creativity and my writing.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Mr.hurricane
I took lessons for about a year and quit because he wasn't a very good teacher. It really helpe in the beginning. I think if a graph was made of my abilities, it would shoot up in the beginning and then plateau right now. Make sure if you do get lessons, it's a good teacher.

There's a FANTASTIC teacher here. He's done a great job for people I know. But then again I'm afraid it might kinda mess up my creative way of playing thats become my own... I've never had any lessons or any influence from anyone but myself. Should I ruin my lesson virginity? haha

Speaking from experience only: being self taught is like trying to find your way around without a map or any road signs. You spend a lot of time going in circles until you are lucky enough to stumble on where you wanted to be.

A teacher is like stopping and asking for directions; someone who is familiar with the area can tell you where to go, how to get there and what they quickest route would be.

I never had lessons but I spent my whole life doing this so I know where I am now. I just don't play as good as I could.
it depends.
if you have a good teacher who really knows his or her shit you could learn a lot. if you dont have a good teacher lessons are a waste of money (most lessons are not cheap either).

in my opinion, you dont really need a teacher to teach you technique. it may be helpful at first but not necessary. i started off self taught for the most part and got pretty good.
as far as learning theory and writing music. unless you are hendrix or have an incredbly good ear and natural ability i recommend lessons. you may think you can write some good shit but you will be surprised what you can do when you really learn the ins and outs. just my opinion though.

and i think someone else mentioned it but lessons can turn years worth of learning into months if you take them seriously.
Last edited by JT747 at Nov 23, 2009,
i've played guitar for 4 years, just started lesson last month.
thought i'd give it a try
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I took 3 lessons until I missed one because I was outta town. The crossed my name off

During those 3 lessons I've learnt alot. I have a friend who said lessons are for fags and its better to just be creative....(he's a bass player)

I think lessons are nice to have.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
I have a friend who said lessons are for fags and its better to just be creative....(he's a bass player)

Last edited by colt34 at Nov 23, 2009,
I say go for it. Everyone always brags about how they figured out how to play guitar without lessons, but I sort of wish I would've taken some. Hell, if I could afford them, I'd definitely be taking them through my college right now.
Quote by colt34
Yeah I'm trying to get my bends right and stuff. And get things to sound JUST right. Is that just a matter of time and practice?

Well, watch some video of guys that do a lot of bends. There's not much to it, you'll have to figure it out yourself from there. It's somewhat of a push motion. I'm actually thinking of taking lessons at college next year.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I've been playing for like.... probably around 5 years or so, and I still ****ing suck. I mean yea I can bust out a little solo and stuff, but my problem when I first started was "who cares about timing, who cares about scales, who cares about knowing the notes" and now over the past year or two I have relised the importance of all that "crap" and I'm like "****... I've been playing for 5 years and I can't keep time, I don't know any scales (barely), and I have shit rythm"

Being 20 now, I can't go ask mommy and daddy for lessons, (unless maybe as a chriastmas gift =/ ) so I'm stuck trying to find sites online to pick this stuff up off of, and being in school full time and working part time I just never have time *cough* MW2 *cough cough* MMO's *cough* so over the past month I've been trying to decide what to do. I know a friend who is a little better than me at guitar who has good timing and rythm, i don't know whether to start taking lesson's off him again... considering its better than nothing but I took 1 from him before and it pretty much consisted of, just try to play this
I've had 3 teachers, 2 of which were total douche bags who just wanted me to learn country songs, and raged on me for liking metal.

I did have a teacher who was into heavy metal, and he taught me more in the 5 lessons he gave me then the other 2 did in a year. Tapping, harmonics, scales, writing music.

To bad he was Bi-polar and ended up rage quitting the music store he worked out... Never saw him again
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
I went to a really good bass teacher for a year. Learned some pretty great technique, but I couldn't grasp the way he taught theory. I don't take them anymore, but sooner or later I'll get myself a guitar/keyboard and see if I can't at least learn some song structure-y theory with that.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Randal37
I've been playing for like.... probably around 5 years or so, and I still ****ing suck. I mean yea I can bust out a little solo and stuff, but my problem when I first started was "who cares about timing, who cares about scales, who cares about knowing the notes" and now over the past year or two I have relised the importance of all that "crap" and I'm like "****... I've been playing for 5 years and I can't keep time, I don't know any scales (barely), and I have shit rythm"

What he said. Sort of.

I'm on my third teacher in about 15 years -- because I never had the discipline to stick with it. Now I hope I do. Unless you are a musical savant, IMHO lessons are CRITICAL. A good teacher helps you build good habits, and it is a LOT harder to unlearn bad habits than just to learn good ones from the start. What I am doing with my teacher night now is boring as hell and frustrating. But I'm pretty sure if I learn the foundations of things like timing, chords and how they are built, and basic scales for starters, it will be much, much better in the long run and will make it far easier to progress.

Good luck.

Gear:
'00 Fender SRV Strat MIA
'95 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (Mod. AEG20E - VV)
Fender Super-Champ XD Amp
Boss Loop Station Pedal
Hope, fear, confusion, no natural talent.
I have a teacher and in some ways he's really helped my abilities. We don't do as much theory as i would like but he has really helped improve my general technique and i think that without sounding boastful, i'm fairly proficient at my level because of it.

Besides delving into more theory the only reason i could see to get a different teacher is to learn other styles that i'm interested in learning like jazz, country (i mean like Chet Atkins, Les Paul etc.) and metal. I think he may know quite a bit on the first 2 but i have never seen him incorporate any metal influence or techniques into his playing whenever he does a small show off. Like i know that playing isn't just about speed but it's something that i would still like to learn complex tapping and sweeping. A teacher would be needed there because those are things that i would really struggle to accomplish on my own but i'm not sure if he knows them, even though he's not a younger player.
Quote by Randal37
I just never have time *cough* MW2 *cough cough*

here's to that!!!

No my problem is I have a hard time learning like that unless I'm signed up and forced to. Then I enjoy it and I'm happy. Maybe I could take some at college next year or just go ahead and sign up with this guy from the music store here. I just don't know cause like he said ^^^ Got school, job, homework and Modern Warfare 2 right now

I have been playing for maybe 5 years and had about a months worth of lessons at school when i was starting out, but that was cut short, so i am mostly self taught up until now, at uni i have a guitar tutor and i think i have improved a great deal since i started the lessons, it makes you look at things in a totally different way.

Really you shouldn't rely too heavily on the theory, but its good to know so that if you have a jam with someone or try and get work as a session musician, when told to play in a certain key, you know pretty much straight away rather than trying to find what sounds good.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Depends on the person. If you take the initiative to learn, you probably don't need a teacher. There are plenty of resources online and in books.
Having a teacher there to show you different things can be better than just exploring them on your own.
It can help, you never know until you try it I guess.
Well it depends on the teacher really ay? Personally I'm not a fan I find it better to be able to be free & not feel like you have to learn something by a certain time. I started with lessons, learnt the basics about the guitar, learnt my chords & the like & then ****ed it off. If you can get a teacher who works with you then I'm sure it can be a really good thing.

The teacher who I had said to me at the start what kind of music do you like & I told him mainly heavy metal & showed my enthusiasm for wanting to learn For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica as a start off song to get things going, & he started me on Wild Thing by The Troggs..

I also started to learn the piano at grammer school but got put off because of the fact that the person who was teaching me was a old man who was really creepy. & besides, I wanted to get taught by the hot chick who was teaching piano.