I have been hearing a lot about the sustain issues in the ibanez s5470 and am wondering if ibanez has addresed these issues. Basically i want to get this model and am wondering if a newer 2009 made s5470 has the same issues as the 2008 ones or if ibanez is at least working on solving this issue. I would probably go for the guitar without hesitation if it weren't for the sustain issue.
The sustain issues of any guitar with a floating bridge are pretty inherent. I don't know about any specific issues about the S5470, but I doubt they fixed it.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Well, I played one a month ago. Didn't seem to have any particular "issues."

Keep in mind that it's a wafer thin guitar with a floating bridge. How much sustain could you possibly expect?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The problem isn't really the lack of sustain, it's that the decay on certain frets and strings don't decay in a linear fashion.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
I never experienced any sustain issues with that guitar. Now common sense will tell you it won't have the sustain of a lp
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Xherion
The problem isn't really the lack of sustain, it's that the decay on certain frets and strings don't decay in a linear fashion.
Call me crazy but isn't that just an intonation problem?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
No...intonation just refers to the pitch accuracy. What I mean is that say you strike a note. On a normal guitar, the note is at the loudest volume when you first play the note and gradually and relatively linearly gets quieter until the note completely fades. On the S5470, the note can have the correct intonation, but say after you strike the note, instead of gradually fading, it just completely drops off after a couple seconds.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
ah, I'd been under the impression, for no reason at all, that having your intonation far enough out of whack could effect sustain.

Strange problem. Maybe the frets aren't all pressed in properly?
Quote by Marty Friedman
I have a plain old S470 and I've never experienced any issues with the sustain
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have a plain old S470 and I've never experienced any issues with the sustain
Why are you confused? It's the 5470 that experiences the problem.

I really wanna know what's behind this malady.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Want a real sustain fix for this guitar? I have one and it sustains forever. Check out the following link... it points to another thread in this forum where I outlined the steps that need to be taken to fix this... its not a simple thing but once done the difference is tremendous:

http://forum.ibanez.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=74002&p=3

Check out my posts ...screen-name UNISPEED